Author Topic: Top 7 Uniquely Canadian Car Features  (Read 3565 times)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: Top 7 Uniquely Canadian Car Features
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2022, 11:49:53 am »
On the Vibe I put a patch over the light sensor so the lights always came on. The Subaru has variable settings for light sensitivity available, but I might do the same thing to it

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2022, 12:49:12 pm »
In my opinion, there should only be one setting for a driver to have access to, and that's AUTO. 

But AUTO doesn't work in fog or other inclement weather which makes cars hard to see to other drivers.
What do you mean?  If it's foggy out or rainy during the day, you saying that the high beams should be on?  In auto your taillights should be on at all times, same with your DLR.  If it's foggy, turn your fog lights on. 

The AUTO setting does NOT turn on all lights for all cars. Also, AUTO (low beam, not high beam) may NOT come when it is foggy, raining, or snowing because it is still bright enough out for them to not turn on. All those conditions can make your car harder to see to other drivers. Try driving here on the 401 which has 5 trucks for every car throwing water up off the road. Even when it stops raining you still can't see until the road dries out.

If it was as simple as just turning on your light when you need to, we wouldn't need auto lights now would we.  ;D

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2022, 12:54:13 pm »
In my opinion, there should only be one setting for a driver to have access to, and that's AUTO. 

But AUTO doesn't work in fog or other inclement weather which makes cars hard to see to other drivers.
What do you mean?  If it's foggy out or rainy during the day, you saying that the high beams should be on?  In auto your taillights should be on at all times, same with your DLR.  If it's foggy, turn your fog lights on.

No he's saying the headlights and taillights should come on if it's rainy or foggy. The auto sensors don't always detect when it's dreary out.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2022, 01:10:17 pm »
I don't understand why the lawmakers just don't make it mandatory (for newly built cars of course) for all lights to be on if the vehicle is moving. Is there some reason stopping this?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2022, 01:24:54 pm »
Because freedom? 

I don't get it either.

Neither of our cars have automatic headlights.  But the lights do turn off when the car gets turned off.  So, all lights all the time is how we roll.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2022, 07:01:28 am »

The AUTO setting does NOT turn on all lights for all cars. Also, AUTO (low beam, not high beam) may NOT come when it is foggy, raining, or snowing because it is still bright enough out for them to not turn on. All those conditions can make your car harder to see to other drivers. Try driving here on the 401 which has 5 trucks for every car throwing water up off the road. Even when it stops raining you still can't see until the road dries out.

If it was as simple as just turning on your light when you need to, we wouldn't need auto lights now would we.  ;D

Have you tried just selecting the parking light mode?  I've noticed on several new cars now the switches still show an "off" and you can twist to it, but the switch will automatically spring back to the 'on' position.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2022, 07:49:24 am »
I don't understand why the lawmakers just don't make it mandatory (for newly built cars of course) for all lights to be on if the vehicle is moving. Is there some reason stopping this?

Agreed.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.