Author Topic: All Weather opinions  (Read 10439 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: All Weather opinions
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2022, 10:33:32 pm »
They seem to give that symbol out like candy nowadays. I think the minimum requirement is having winter traction that's 10% better than a reference tire.

Yeah exactly. And the reference tire is nothing special.

I’m not 100% on this, but have heard that the Nokian WR was first sold in Europe as a Performance Winter tire. Someone just came up with the great marketing idea of rebranding it as an All Weather tire for North America.

Offline Bulkley

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +13/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Crosstrek, 2023 Leaf
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2022, 10:37:17 pm »
I'm running Nokian WRG4 tires on my Crosstrek and like them.  On the other hand, we had Goodyear Assurance Weatherready's on our leaf and found them to be summer biased; we had to replace them with Winter tires.

Note: I always add three or four psi over speck when pumping air into tires. 

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2022, 08:42:38 am »
I ordered a set of Kumho Solus for the kids car yesterday after noticing that the one tire is date stamped 2006.  I don’t know how long he’ll have the Focus and if he needs to drive in inclement weather he can take one of our cars with dedicated snows. I’m interested to see how they perform but my expectations are realistic.

I had a set of original WRs back in ‘06 on a Civic. They were OK back then in the snow but I’m sure the technology has advanced.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 08:44:22 am by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline NikonGuy7200

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Civic
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2022, 09:41:52 am »
I just replaced my Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready tires after 90k on them for another set. I live in Ontario and have never had an issue with them in any weather or on the highway. My car is a 2014 Civic Sedan.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2022, 04:46:19 pm »
We are purchasing a 2015 Fiat 500. We had a plan to garage it in winter and live with one car for winter period. But we have lived with one car in winter a few times and there are times when it is a problem. For example when that one car needs servicing. So I was planning to equip the Fiat with all weather tires (with snowflake) so I could pull in out and legally drive it the very odd time in Quebec (as we have mandatory winter tire law).

Seemed like a good plan but now in searching for an all weather tire it seems none are available in size 195/45/r16.

Looks like my plan just got shot in the foot.  >:(

Any suggestions?

Maybe can use 205/45/R16 tires instead but not sure if that would cause issues with fitment and rubbing. I think the speedo error would be minor.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 05:04:33 pm by Slow_lane »
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2022, 05:29:26 pm »
We are purchasing a 2015 Fiat 500. We had a plan to garage it in winter and live with one car for winter period. But we have lived with one car in winter a few times and there are times when it is a problem. For example when that one car needs servicing. So I was planning to equip the Fiat with all weather tires (with snowflake) so I could pull in out and legally drive it the very odd time in Quebec (as we have mandatory winter tire law).

Seemed like a good plan but now in searching for an all weather tire it seems none are available in size 195/45/r16.

Any suggestions?

Oh yes there is!!

Vredestein Quattrac!! 

Quattro Tire in QC carries them.  Though they might be out of stock/not stock them and need to be ordered.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2022, 06:14:53 pm »

Any suggestions?

Oh yes there is!!

Vredestein Quattrac!! 

Quattro Tire in QC carries them.  Though they might be out of stock/not stock them and need to be ordered.

Thanks I will check them out. Pretty pricey but beggars cannot be choosers. I see in previous comments you have owned them. How do you find them as far as noise levels. Are they similar to an all season as far as noise or is the noise elevated like a snow tire?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2022, 06:26:49 pm »

Any suggestions?

Oh yes there is!!

Vredestein Quattrac!! 

Thanks I will check them out. Pretty pricey but beggars cannot be choosers. I see in previous comments you have owned them. How do you find them as far as noise levels. Are they similar to an all season as far as noise or is the noise elevated like a snow tire?

We've used the Quattrac Pro.

And is among the quietest tires we've used, period.

Have no had a chance to use the regular Quattrac yet.  But think they'll be going on the Prius.