Author Topic: COSTCO tire installation gone WRONG  (Read 8606 times)

Offline nifty6

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
COSTCO tire installation gone WRONG
« on: May 25, 2022, 09:40:29 pm »
Purchased 4 new tires from my local Costco. Before the balancing and installation I asked the weights used for balancing be placed on the inside of the aluminium rims, sticky weights  not on the face on the lip of the rim. Guess what they placed the weights on the face of the rim. Looks like hell and maybe they  even  damaged the surface of the original Ford rims. Can't post pics but you get the idea. What should I do now? Stay away from Costco if you cherish your aluminium rims.  >:(
Thanks

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: COSTCO tire installation gone WRONG
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 06:52:48 am »
Did you talk to Costco? What did they say?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 10:55:47 am »
On my SUVs/trucks I actually prefer the edge clip weight as they seem to more accurately balance. Stick on weights are always susceptible to pressure washer after loading with gravel/dirt/mud/snow. What type of vehicle? If your vehicle isn't some sort of fancy schmancy Porsche or whatnot who gives a toss? You spend your life staring at your Ford wheels?  ;D

Offline nifty6

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 09:12:02 pm »
Haven't talked to Costco yet. The wheels came from the factory with no issues for with the weights mounted on the inside of th rim.  Drove for 12 years never had to rebalance. All my other cars with aluminum rims had all been balanced with sticky weighty. Any top end tire shop would not do what Costco did. It's not about standing back and admiring the rims, it's the possible damage. These are not some cheap steel winter rims.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 09:27:22 pm »
Haven't talked to Costco yet.

Not sure what you think we can do to fix this for you. Try talking to Costco first to see what they say and are willing to do. Coming here to complain and tell people to stop using Costco is stupid IMO.

Offline LanderGX

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: F150
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 10:00:35 pm »
Costco usually resolves such customer issues. Talk to them first as suggested.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 10:56:18 pm »
Is there a petition I can sign? 

This is BS.

😜

(Yeah, Costco will make it right)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 05:56:27 am »
It would seem to me that the first thing the OP should have done is walk back into Costco's tire service dept and raise the issue. Why post here as a first response?  ???
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2022, 07:25:02 am »
Haven't talked to Costco yet. The wheels came from the factory with no issues for with the weights mounted on the inside of th rim.  Drove for 12 years never had to rebalance. All my other cars with aluminum rims had all been balanced with sticky weighty. Any top end tire shop would not do what Costco did. It's not about standing back and admiring the rims, it's the possible damage. These are not some cheap steel winter rims.
This is all about a set of alloy rims that are over 12 years old, and likely on a regular non special vehicle?  The way some people spend their energy on things is just shocking to me.  Like who gives a rats ass.

Offline ianmcc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 08:31:46 am »
This is all about a set of alloy rims that are over 12 years old, and likely on a regular non special vehicle?  The way some people spend their energy on things is just shocking to me.  Like who gives a rats ass.

I think you are missing the point. It's not about your perceived value of the OPs wheels.
It's about them making a specific request and Costco ignoring the request and doing whatever they felt like doing.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 08:46:36 am »

I think you are missing the point. It's not about your perceived value of the OPs wheels.
It's about them making a specific request and Costco ignoring the request and doing whatever they felt like doing.

I think the weird part is the OP chose to complain here instead of voicing his concerns to Costco when he got the car back.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2022, 12:14:14 pm »
Looking for a bargain price comes with risks.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2022, 12:18:35 pm »

They don't even have bargain prices on tires, IMO. They can be found much cheaper online shipped to the front door, and then installed properly by a local indie shop. Next time I won't even bother saving 20 bucks and just get everything ready by my tire guy.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 12:20:06 pm by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2022, 01:23:21 pm »

They don't even have bargain prices on tires, IMO. They can be found much cheaper online shipped to the front door, and then installed properly by a local indie shop. Next time I won't even bother saving 20 bucks and just get everything ready by my tire guy.

PMCTire is a good option.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2022, 01:53:26 pm »
They don't even have bargain prices on tires, IMO.

I stand corrected.  I assumed that ppl put up with the big box process for a meaningful "discount".

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2022, 03:57:14 pm »

PMCTire is a good option.
Quattro is our online go to..

Got a set of Pirelli P7 AS PLUS 3 incoming for the boys car.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 04:01:25 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2022, 06:31:44 pm »
Good experience here with blackcircles. They even picked up a phone a few times and answered all my questions before I placed an online order. I wish the week of production would match on all 4 tires, but that's just my OCD  :)

Offline LanderGX

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: F150
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2022, 10:49:43 pm »
Good experience here with blackcircles. They even picked up a phone a few times and answered all my questions before I placed an online order. I wish the week of production would match on all 4 tires, but that's just my OCD  :)

A friend recently got their service and he's pleased.