Author Topic: Bought a Second Honda  (Read 3462 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: Bought a Second Honda
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2023, 03:54:43 pm »
Got my mom a new Ego electric mower to replace an old gas Toro a few years back. Also has the electric blower and trimmer from same lineup so batteries are all compatible between them.

So far, no issues with any of them. Batteries are kept between mows inside the house so they are not subject to temperature fluctuations in the shed. Gas is a pain IMO for residential use. Noisy, smelly, maintenance and then having to search out for ethanol-free gas. Almost all of the gas now has ethanol in it and it does damage to the carbs on all these small engines unless you pay for premium without ethanol which is obviously much more $$$.

Another plus is that the cordless mowers are MUCH lighter and easier to push than the gas units. Plus, vertical storage with no issues and you can flip the thing upside down on the grass to clean it with no worries. And no carrying gas in the car and worrying about fumes and spills.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2023, 04:27:38 pm »
Got my mom a new Ego electric mower to replace an old gas Toro a few years back. Also has the electric blower and trimmer from same lineup so batteries are all compatible between them.

So far, no issues with any of them. Batteries are kept between mows inside the house so they are not subject to temperature fluctuations in the shed. Gas is a pain IMO for residential use. Noisy, smelly, maintenance and then having to search out for ethanol-free gas. Almost all of the gas now has ethanol in it and it does damage to the carbs on all these small engines unless you pay for premium without ethanol which is obviously much more $$$.

Another plus is that the cordless mowers are MUCH lighter and easier to push than the gas units. Plus, vertical storage with no issues and you can flip the thing upside down on the grass to clean it with no worries. And no carrying gas in the car and worrying about fumes and spills.

There is that too. It makes sense.  Seem to remember a stat somewhere saying that small outdoor powered equipment produce many many more times more emissions than a vehicle.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2023, 05:28:23 pm »
:iagree: and just like cars they are more expensive  ::)

I got my Greenworks kit at Costco (mower + trimmer + blower + charger + two batteries) for around $600. Fast forward 3 years and today you only get mower+charger+batteries for that price. The cheapest Honda is $749.

I must have got the last basic Honda mower produced,mine was $ 475,the HRS216. Not listed on their site anymore.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 05:33:06 pm by Seafoam »
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2023, 05:40:15 pm »

But I also see the battery mowers have much more plastic on them.

Between the battery and plastic, I'm not sure this will outlast a gas mower...particularly a Honda or John Deere.

Realistically, how long will the batteries last?

I've had my John Deere mower since 96. And it was a couple years old when I got it. I just can't see a battery mower lasting as long.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 05:43:41 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2023, 05:44:58 pm »
Guess it depends on the size of yard you have. We live in a typical suburban house. Front lawn and back yard. I’ve been running electric for the past 22 years. First with a corded mower, that wouldn’t die. Then a few years ago upgraded to a cordless.

I can’t stand the noise and smell of a gas mower. No idea why anyone would buy one these days unless your yard needs it or you’re some sort of masochist.

I can do the front and back twice then I charge the battery, which is just slightly bigger than my hand.

Enjoy the Honda!
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2023, 05:47:11 pm »
Guess it depends on the size of yard you have. We live in a typical suburban house. Front lawn and back yard. I’ve been running electric for the past 22 years. First with a corded mower, that wouldn’t die. Then a few years ago upgraded to a cordless.

I can’t stand the noise and smell of a gas mower. No idea why anyone would buy one these days unless your yard needs it or you’re some sort of masochist.

I can do the front and back twice then I charge the battery, which is just slightly bigger than my hand.

Enjoy the Honda!
Smell?  My mower definitely doesn't smell when used outdoors (if you mean exhaust fumes).

It certainly would be louder than an electric though.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2023, 05:49:22 pm »

Enjoy the Honda!
Smell?  My mower definitely doesn't smell when used outdoors (if you mean exhaust fumes).

Yes exhaust fumes. I can most definitely smell it when the neighbours mow with gas or the hired crews.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2023, 06:10:41 pm »

Enjoy the Honda!

Yes exhaust fumes. I can most definitely smell it when the neighbours mow with gas or the hired crews.

Odd.

I can't ever recall smelling exhaust fumes from a neighbor's mower. You must be particularly sensitive. Same thing with snowblowers?

But I for sure hear the sound at 8am!! LOL [emoji38]

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2023, 06:37:33 pm »
But I for sure hear the sound at 8am!!

or 6 am  :P

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2023, 06:50:33 pm »
This might be a collector item.

Honda announced they will not sell gas powered mowers in the US after September.

Days might be numbered here.

Honda are discontinuing their name brand walk behind mowers, but will still supply Honda small motors for other brands largely manufactured in Asia.  Princess Auto pressure washer and water pumps still sporting Hondas.  Regardless where they are cast, still worth the extra.  No one has come close in the small engine market all these years.  Odd.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2023, 06:58:39 pm »
What will be the first mod, a Type R emblem or a K&N filter?  ;D

I was thinking about asking Ron about some kind of tune  :D

He might hook you up with a hand-made set of stop lights  :rofl2:
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2023, 07:27:19 pm »
This might be a collector item.

Honda announced they will not sell gas powered mowers in the US after September.

Days might be numbered here.

Honda are discontinuing their name brand walk behind mowers, but will still supply Honda small motors for other brands largely manufactured in Asia.  Princess Auto pressure washer and water pumps still sporting Hondas.  Regardless where they are cast, still worth the extra.  No one has come close in the small engine market all these years.  Odd.

As with F1, they are shying away from ICE associations, despite being one of the top motorists ever.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2023, 07:30:39 pm »

But I also see the battery mowers have much more plastic on them.

Between the battery and plastic, I'm not sure this will outlast a gas mower...particularly a Honda or John Deere.

Realistically, how long will the batteries last?

I've had my John Deere mower since 96. And it was a couple years old when I got it. I just can't see a battery mower lasting as long.

Greenworks, and Ego too I believe, have steel bodies - I would not have bought a plastic bodied mower. There's a plastic casing for the battery holder and to hide the motor itself, like gas mowers have a plastic heat shield on top. My batteries have a 5 yr warranty and I'm careful with use, charge and storage. We'll see how much use I get out of them. No "range" loss that I can see after 3 years.