Author Topic: Bear vs Enduro bike  (Read 2847 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Bear vs Enduro bike
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2021, 10:54:31 pm »
I hear bears are faster uphill than downhill. More a tip for cyclists who have a better chance of retreating downhill.

ltruong

Re: Bear vs Enduro bike
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2021, 12:39:13 am »
When i used to rock climbing we used to go into grizzly territories often(grizzly territory is pretty much every where in the forest in Alberta)  We used to hike in packs of 4 or more.  The bear spray is really last resort so you usually spray it when the bear is really close, like less than 10 feet.  Have to be careful of the wind too as you don't want to spray yourself obviously.  When the can is empty you are suppose to throw it right away as the smell might attract other bears. At least that's what i remember.

Ive heard couple stories of people getting attacked/mauled by grizzlies at the climbing gym. All very minor and extremely lucky.

We used to say pepper spray is really just fancy spice for the bears food  :P

I know.some guy had to climb a tree him and his climbing partner. Stay up there for like 10 hrs, another one was attacked on the way down from an ice climb in caste mountain i think. Fought the bear off with a hiking pole(this one was in the news).

I also heard using  bear banger can dangerous if you dont know how to use it. Its basically a small pen looking gun that shoots a 22G firework to scare the bear away or something like that.  One guy told us a story long time ago how he used one and he over shot the bear and did the "bang" behind the bear causing to run directly towards him(or them) lucky the bear just ran pass them and kept going.   I think they were surveyors in the north or drilling.

I think the only real way is to be in a big group Or a gun... But can't really ride with a gun
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 01:08:25 am by wongpong »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2021, 11:31:38 am »
Groups are good. If there had been 2-3 bikes no problem.

Guns? Handgun is not good enough. Bear may maul you after you pissed it off.

My time spent in the northern bush I had a camp defender 12 gauge with 7 shot, 00 shot, slug, slug, slug in that order. The 7 shot was in case I saw a chicken.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2021, 11:37:28 am »
Groups are good. If there had been 2-3 bikes no problem.

Guns? Handgun is not good enough. Bear may maul you after you pissed it off.

My time spent in the northern bush I had a camp defender 12 gauge with 7 shot, 00 shot, slug, slug, slug in that order. The 7 shot was in case I saw a chicken.
44 Magnum is the minimum for charging bears, a Glock 20 in 10mm Auto and the 357 S&W Magnum will do nicely. ;)
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2021, 12:22:01 pm »
You need something pretty sturdy. One of our neighbors back on the farm stood down a charging bear with his 303 British rifle, and it took the whole clip.

He said his hair was standing straight up by the time the bear finally dropped

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2021, 01:24:02 pm »
I would take a pump action shotgun.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57763443

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2021, 01:38:48 pm »
From the article...

Ms Lokan and her two companions, who were staying in a separate tent, then removed food from their tents and secured them before going back to sleep. But the bear returned shortly afterwards, leading to the fatal attack.

Don't people know you NEVER keep food around your camp in bear areas.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2021, 01:43:23 pm »
Even the real woodsmen get clobbered sometimes. Yelling at the bear, bear spray, etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kshtjWAwApo

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2021, 01:45:11 pm »

I guess storing food in her tent seemed like a good idea.... Darwin at work here.  There are more grizzlies around and they seem more emboldened lately. Camp defender 12 gauge FTW.

I had a quick discussion with the grizzly expert at Kicking Horse Resort one day and had a good chat. I ran my theory past her on bears in general and grizzlies in particular (no expert here lol): Bears are lazy and opportunists. They are also smart and mothers pass knowledge to their offspring. For the past couple hundred years grizzlies were shot on sight. Bears figured out that humans = death so they learned to avoid humans at all costs. In the last 50 years or so bears were not shot at as much, worst case in parks they are hazed. Bear figures out that humans are no threat and bingo the aggression towards the defenseless meat bags has increased.

At least that is my take. Whether it carries water who knows?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 01:47:06 pm by ktm525 »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2021, 01:55:03 pm »
They are also smart and mothers pass knowledge to their offspring

Yep...Bear opens car door nicer than your friends do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysYi_Nrk_-U&ab_channel=CatersClips

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2021, 02:05:28 pm »
defenseless meat bags

:D When we were in Africa they said 'Look, you don't have claws, you don't have fangs, plus pretty much everything out here is stronger and faster. Watch around you all the time and if something spots you, back away slowly. DON'T RUN'

ltruong

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2021, 02:44:29 pm »
Moral of the story is always have a friend you can trip, and spray him with that pepper spray seasoning... :P

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2021, 03:43:26 pm »
More from that Todd Orr guy that got attacked twice. Turned he had a handgun too, but it was one of those rare bears that actually circle around and get you from the back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOQAhKrOOww

From the comments:

I bet the most difficult part of the whole ordeal was dragging his gigantic balls out of the woods

Grandpa describing his trip to school

Me: as a 9 year old explaining how our pug bit me

The 2nd time the bear was like: “how many times do we have to teach you this lesson old man?”

Moral of the Story: Never go into the bush without a flamethrower and some grenades.

:D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2021, 04:08:11 pm »

This is the only way to fly, with slugs or 00 buckshot. I wouldn't be screwing around with a handgun that you have to be super steady to aim and fire effectively under pressure.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2021, 04:36:23 pm »

This is the only way to fly, with slugs or 00 buckshot. I wouldn't be screwing around with a handgun that you have to be super steady to aim and fire effectively under pressure.

The proper order is #7 shot (for chicken), then 00, slug, slug, slug

ltruong

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2021, 06:04:25 pm »
Lol... What about a samurai sword.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2021, 06:07:06 pm »
Lol... What about a samurai sword.

Well, if you want to die fulfilling your Shogun dreams, then you give 'er bud lol. I'll be over here with my Benelli  ;D