Author Topic: Motorcycle Engine Design  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Motorcycle Engine Design
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2021, 01:01:59 pm »
As with many motorcycle-related things, for me it's not that simple and "it depends". It depends on the bike, what it will be used for, etc  So I think my answer would be far more windbag than what Bob is after.

But I will touch on my parallel twin comment from the other thread.

There's nothing wrong with parallel twins. They work well and have some advantages (depending on their application). But some of them sound dull, which gives them less character.

For example, the Z650 and MT-07 both have similar sized parallel twins. Both make similar power. Both work very well in their application.

Character? The Z650 is a 180 degree firing order. The MT-07 has a 270 degree firing order. 180 in a parallel twin is "meh"...it sounds uninspiring and dull IMO. Whereas the 270 degree firing order is the same firing order as many V-twins (Bob's RC51). So 270 degree parallel twins have a great V-Twin-ish sound and character. And I prefer that. Much prefer that.

Oh..and as far as I4s go? The crossplane crank I4 in the Yamaha R1 is the most spectacular iteration of a large bore I4. It has the revs, power, torque and a spectacular almost V4 sound. As good as it gets and would take over any Triple.

Yet...an 20,000 RPM 250cc I4 is overflowing with character too!

Like I said..there so much "it depends" for me...

I'd love to try an R1, I've heard so much about the engine. But generally I really don't get on with I4's.

I agree with ktm on the character over smoothness. The FZ-09 had just the right amount of vibration that it FELT like it was really powerful. A powerful but super smooth I4 just doesn't do it for me. As I said though, I'd love to try the R1 to see if that would convince me.
I think again, for me, it depends on the bike and what I'm doing.

For example, a large bore GT bike being used as a fast touring rig (Busa, ZX-14R) that smooooth power is perfect. Of all the ICE vehicles I've driven, a Busa/ZX14 comes closest to the power delivery of an hot EV powerplant. Almost any speed, the power and delivery is stupefying!

Which brings me to my next question. If you don't get along with I4s because of their smoothness and lack of perceived "character", I can't for the life of me understand why you'd have any interest whatsoever in an EV motorcycle....ever.  I've only ridden one and it was the most soul crushing, dissatisfying 2 wheel ride I've ever had.

Surely if an I4 puts you to sleep, and EV bike would make you comatose.

I 100% agree. The thought of bombing around the forest on an electric bike doesn't make me yearn for the future at all. But at some point in the next 20-30 years fuel will become difficult to get, so why fight it.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2021, 05:23:27 pm »
Gas stations will be like the payphone, it'll still be around especially in rural areas. Gas stations that embrace the electric future like how Petro Canada installed EV chargers all along the Trans Canada will survive and offer all fuel that's in demand.

I would say urban gas stations are in danger as demand for gasoline and diesel dwindles. EV usage in town is different -- people charge at home, at work, or at play.

Side note, I find it funny that I buy transit passes as the gas station.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2021, 07:27:24 pm »

I 100% agree. The thought of bombing around the forest on an electric bike doesn't make me yearn for the future at all. But at some point in the next 20-30 years fuel will become difficult to get, so why fight it.

I will fight it! LOL [emoji38]
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...