Author Topic: Re: Surprisingly Chinese tires were not disappointing me (but now they are)  (Read 19413 times)

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Re: Surprisingly Chinese tires are not the disappointing me
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 05:43:24 pm »
That sucks, Bry!   :(

I was in Montreal for a family wedding a few weeks ago, and I had to go from Longueuil to Lachine via JC bridge + the 720.  As we turned right on Rue de Lorimier off the bridge, the pavement became, shall we say, "lively" all the way down to the entrance to 720.   :rofl:  My poor Ontario boyfriend just had this look of horror on his face as he said, "Are you facking kidding me?  WTF is up with this city?"   :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

I do recognize that this particular stretch of pavement is the only way to go west from that bridge, so it probably sees a lot of 18-wheeler action.  But still...  :rofl2:

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2018, 06:45:00 pm »
Well that blows. It's good that you were able to pick up some used ones.

I hate the idea of not having a spare. The tires on the Passat have a pretty high sidewall, so it's not as bad, but it still has a spare.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2018, 06:48:27 pm »
Montreal city has a policy / mandate of taking the lowest bidder on projects. Not 'hiring those who are the best at what they do, no concern for quality, longevity or value. Just the lowest bidder. How stupid is that? That is like all of us judging a car just based on price alone.  We would all been driving Yugos back in the day. Simply a stupid approach to managing a city. We have crappy roads to show for it.

Despite it the crappy things it is still a great city to live in. But you do want to scream sometimes!
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
Just an update. I blew another Chinese tire. The sidewall got sliced hitting another pothole. I pulled over to find another car being tended to by a CAA flat bed truck. She had hit the same pothole. Ahhh you got to love Montreal roads. >:(

The KIA came equipped with only sealant and an air pump to fix flats. Luckily I had bought a compact spare tire for the KIA or I would have been stranded. I will never drive a car without a spare. It is nuts how many car makers think no spare is ok. Not having one is horses$$t

So in examining the tire I noticed how thin and flimsy the sidewalls are. I have blown 2 of these tires so far. Maybe that is a weakness of these cheap tires. Maybe a high quality tire may have survived the impact.

I was going to search for new set this summer but in living with the virus I am not driving anywhere. So I can delay that till next year. Boy 215/45/17 tires are expensive!!!!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 10:23:43 am by slybry »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
45 series tires for a Kia Rio!?!??!

Why not get some wheels off of a base model/rental spec Rio and get something with a proper sidewall for the car? If the roads in Montreal are truly that Afghani-esque, you need some sidewall friend to prevent all these problems.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Cachlands are garbage, I think they are a sub-group of Khumo or something. Basically use poorer compunds and treads that the big companies have deemed outdated 10 years ago. They technically are tires, yes, but boy that is not a place I would be saving a few dollars over a decent brand tire...and the differential is only a few dollars when you can step up to Generals, Firestone or something of the like.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Cachlands are garbage, I think they are a sub-group of Khumo or something. Basically use poorer compunds and treads that the big companies have deemed outdated 10 years ago. They technically are tires, yes, but boy that is not a place I would be saving a few dollars over a decent brand tire...and the differential is only a few dollars when you can step up to Generals, Firestone or something of the like.

Just for record they were a new set installed by dealer before I bought my Kia Forte 5. I would not have bought them. But seeing as they were new and on the car I figured I would run them till they are finished..

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile

Just for record they were a new set installed by dealer before I bought my Kia Forte 5. I would not have bought them. But seeing as they were new and on the car I figured I would run them till they are finished..
Let me know if you want me to finish them early with my ice pick. :)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Just an update. I blew another Chinese tire. The sidewall got sliced hitting another pothole. I pulled over to find another car being tended to by a CAA flat bed truck. She had hit the same pothole. Ahhh you got to love Montreal roads. >:(

Are you saying yours and the other person's car had shitty tires? Not sure this is all to blame on the tire?

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile

Unless you demand it, dealers will always put on the cheapest tires they can find on a car. Comes with winters! Yeah...cheap Chinese made winters.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Not always.  When we bought the Altima, I remarked the tires were pretty worn, so the dealer put on Coopers.  Those were good tires, and I wasn't disappointed with them.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
Not always.  When we bought the Altima, I remarked the tires were pretty worn, so the dealer put on Coopers.  Those were good tires, and I wasn't disappointed with them.
Sometimes the request will be "put on the cheapest set you can find that ARE NOT garbage Chinese tires" - got that request a lot too. Coopers were often the ones I picked.

Never got "put on a set of Michelins for this car, it deserves the best"  :rofl2:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 05:50:52 pm by ChaosphereIX »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
45 series tires for a Kia Rio!?!??!

he has a Foret 5, not a Rio...i have a Rio, but it also has 45 series tires (205/45/17)...i've never had an issue though...original tires were Hankook (they were pretty decent i thought) and the replacements are General Tire RT43s (which also seem pretty good).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
You reap what you sow.