Author Topic: Tire Dating Question...maybe I should rephrase that...nah...  (Read 12520 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Tire Dating Question...maybe I should rephrase that...nah...
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2020, 02:59:42 pm »
So Mr. 5.0 got his tires installed yesterday, and I got the bill emailed to be at work. $125 to install 4 tires...yet the bill comes to $187. Huh? WTF?  I told him to go talk to them.  No effing way "retraining the TPMS sensors" costs...anything.  Feckin' car does that on its own FFS.  I have yet to ever have to get that done, and that includes when I bought new wheels and TPMS sensors for the Fusion. So I'm not sure WTF's going on there. 

Better be a mistake anyway.

There may be a TPMS charge, it just doesn't need to be so high. Always read the fine print, as they say  :-\

From costco website:
"Purchase is subject to a TPMS Service Fee of $3.99 per tire to be paid at time of installation"  That's on top of the 20 bucks install per tire and there is also a recycling fee in ON.

It is ironic you kept "dating" in the thread title. Sometimes it just how it goes  :shuffle:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 03:02:12 pm by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2020, 11:57:07 pm »
If they charge an extra $15.50 for the TPMS "retraining" - that's a little much. 

He talked to them after work and the guy behind the counter says "are they low profile? Then it probably costs more"  I told him to (he should have) take(n) it to the GM dealer, less expensive to begin with...and I doubt they'd charge you $200 to change tires even if...no reason I can think of.  He's still pissed at them for some possible warranty claim (I can't remember) that they denied because they said we bought the car in December and I said no, it was January.  I gave in because they had the paperwork...I should've just checked my registration because January 2013 is the first time it was registered...not December.  So they lied...and he will not forget it.  He might be done with the local Ford dealer now too. Second time he's been quoted something only to get a bill for a shiton more than he was quoted.

Go back tomorrow buddy, talk to X, he'll fix it.  Keep your shirt on.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2020, 12:09:55 am »
If they charge an extra $15.50 for the TPMS "retraining" - that's a little much. 

He talked to them after work and the guy behind the counter says "are they low profile? Then it probably costs more"  I told him to (he should have) take(n) it to the GM dealer, less expensive to begin with...and I doubt they'd charge you $200 to change tires even if...no reason I can think of.  He's still pissed at them for some possible warranty claim (I can't remember) that they denied because they said we bought the car in December and I said no, it was January.  I gave in because they had the paperwork...I should've just checked my registration because January 2013 is the first time it was registered...not December.  So they lied...and he will not forget it.  He might be done with the local Ford dealer now too. Second time he's been quoted something only to get a bill for a shiton more than he was quoted.

Go back tomorrow buddy, talk to X, he'll fix it.  Keep your shirt on.

I generally ask for a quote before I let anyone touch my car...so no surprises.  But that's just me...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 12:11:54 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2020, 12:32:17 am »
That's just it, it's what he did.  They told him $125 + tax.  Send the bill...$187 + tax. That's $15.50 per tire extra.  Gots to be a mistake.  Find out tomorrow.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2020, 12:45:15 am »
Isn’t there laws about quotes and final bill amounts?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2020, 12:46:12 am »
Isn’t there laws about quotes and final bill amounts?

Yes, there is.

If you have a written estimate, they can't charge more than 10% of the written cost.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2020, 12:47:47 am »
That's just it, it's what he did.  They told him $125 + tax.  Send the bill...$187 + tax. That's $15.50 per tire extra.  Gots to be a mistake.  Find out tomorrow.

So he had a WRITTEN estimate?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2020, 01:01:19 am »
In Ontario anyway.

What about MB?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2020, 01:02:36 am »
In Ontario anyway.

What about MB?

Same.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2020, 08:05:51 am »

No...'course not. Pfft.  That's silly.  Funnily enough in a town this/that small...you take their word for it over the phone.  I don't think I've ever gotten a written estimate myself.   

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2020, 08:16:45 am »
Every time you drop off a car at dealership in Ontario , you sign the work order  showing the cost

Ever notice people who usually :censor: about getting screwed are always getting screwed 🤔

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2020, 09:09:36 am »

No...'course not. Pfft.  That's silly.  Funnily enough in a town this/that small...you take their word for it over the phone.  I don't think I've ever gotten a written estimate myself.
And this is exactly why you get it written.

This is what...the 3rd dealer he's had an issue with?

Slow learner....

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2020, 06:38:49 pm »

I think if a merchant quotes something over the phone instead of emailing a quote for example, they are they ones who should be on the losing end in case of any disagreement. They should be able to back up what was discussed with an audio recording and many companies do exactly that nowadays. The fact ppl live in small towns is no reason for businesses and corporations to take advantage. It's not the 80's FFS! When you google any business ,notice there are all kinds of reviews popping up? They are the leverage we have today as consumers.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2020, 06:51:28 pm »

I think if a merchant quotes something over the phone instead of emailing a quote for example, they are they ones who should be on the losing end in case of any disagreement. They should be able to back up what was discussed with an audio recording and many companies do exactly that nowadays. The fact ppl live in small towns is no reason for businesses and corporations to take advantage. It's not the 80's FFS! When you google any business ,notice there are all kinds of reviews popping up? They are the leverage we have today as consumers.

That's not how it works, typically.

In my experience, if you get a quote over the phone...it's verbal..and mostly meaningless.  It becomes a he said/she said type of thing.  Then when you show up to have service done, they make you sign an invoice saying you approve of them working on your car.  If there's no written quote...you are almost signing a blank cheque (within reason).

Always get a quote in writing...then none of this nonsense is possible.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2020, 07:54:48 pm »
IIRC I may have signed those "blank cheques" myself. Doesn't make a difference. If a guy says $125 and doesn't ask what car it is and if it has TPMS, and then another rep gets my signature without stating anything to the contrary or going over the numbers, then I'm under impression the job will cost $125. Unless they want to call me a liar in my face, there will not be any "he said - she said". Show me a different than $125 number with my signature under it - end of conversation. There isn't any sig - everything over that number is "complimentary" or I'm not a happy customer and that may not be a good thing for their business.
If things are set up by a company in order to make loopholes doesn't mean it's the right way to treat a customer.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2020, 12:07:42 am »

And this is exactly why you get it written.

This is what...the 3rd dealer he's had an issue with?

Slow learner....

C'mon, he's not a slow learner.  That's a tad harsh...that part falls totally into my wheelhouse!  :P ;D  If anything...he's a little too entitled.  Or thinks he is.  Some days even I think he needs a good kick in the reality nuts.

And no, 2nd time at this dealer.  Guy behind the counter made a mistake in quoting him the install for his remote start.  Well, the car's a stick, it costs more.  Which makes sense, it needs more components apparently. Obviously the guy didn't know that, and told him it's $450 + tax installed.  They sell them but the guy who installs them is an independent, and one of the only, if not only guy who does remote starter installs on manual trans cars in the immediate area within 100+ km. Maybe all of Mb.  Even for that one I figured dude, they're not trying to screw you...and the owner met him half-way when he thought they should've gone all the way.  People make mistakes, at least you got half! 

The 3rd one, if it's what I think you're thinking about, was at the GM dealer with the Sonic...gotta be 5 yrs ago, I can't even remember what it was for.  So my car, not his.

So, anyway...he went back after work today...no excuses, no explanation...just took that extra $62 off the bill.  He kinda wonders how often now that they try this and get away with a "mistake".

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2020, 12:30:06 am »
I for one am glad to see that people actually care about the age of tires, other than me. When I bought the Vantage, the car only had 20,000km on it but the tires were originals. Car is a model year 2007, but the tires were date coded mid-2006. Unacceptable to me, and I tried to use that as a bargaining tool with the dealership. I was effectively told to pound sand, because the tread was near-perfect they pass safety. Great. I did manage to get the price down ultimately, and I took the car straight home, and once the winter was over, the first stop was the tire shop to get the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S mounted.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2020, 12:38:24 am »
I for one am glad to see that people actually care about the age of tires, other than me. When I bought the Vantage, the car only had 20,000km on it but the tires were originals. Car is a model year 2007, but the tires were date coded mid-2006. Unacceptable to me, and I tried to use that as a bargaining tool with the dealership. I was effectively told to pound sand, because the tread was near-perfect they pass safety. Great. I did manage to get the price down ultimately, and I took the car straight home, and once the winter was over, the first stop was the tire shop to get the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S mounted.

I guess this depends what year the car was purchased.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2020, 12:44:15 am »

Bought the Vantage in early January 2019...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2020, 12:47:26 am »

Bought the Vantage in early January 2019...

Ok..then those tires are indeed too old IMO.