Author Topic: Cadillac CT4-V and CT5-V Blackwing Mark Return of Brand's Super Sedans  (Read 1091 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Super sedans will boast a crazy-powerful V8 and a manual transmission.
Read more...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Caddys naming scheme is a steaming pile.  As confusing as the Germans without any of the brand cache. Ugh.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
It’s a supercharged V8 with a manual transmission and all you can do is complain about their naming convention? Priorities!

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
It’s a supercharged V8 with a manual transmission and all you can do is complain about their naming convention? Priorities!

Plus the engine itself is called Blackwing.  That's terrific!!!!

EDIT;  Wait, what?  The Blackwing cars won't use the blackwing engine?  They're going with the S/C 6.2L V8 from the camaro, which is a fantastic engine, but still confusing.

So, the Blackwing was developed at immense cost, put into the CT6 which was promptly discontinued.  So, what is Cadillac going to do with the Blackwing?  Did they develop it for absolutely no reason at all?  That sounds like typical GM shortsightedness to me.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 01:46:23 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
It is kind of the fly in the ointment for Cadillac honestly. I love the idea of the Blackwing, but if I cant remember what vehicle it might go in, and where they fit in the landscape, then what hope does a non car geek who just wants to buy a car?

It seems like a great engine though, although I thought it was a twin turbo, not SC?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
It is kind of the fly in the ointment for Cadillac honestly. I love the idea of the Blackwing, but if I cant remember what vehicle it might go in, and where they fit in the landscape, then what hope does a non car geek who just wants to buy a car?

It seems like a great engine though, although I thought it was a twin turbo, not SC?

As per my above post (which I modified after you posted this one), the Blackwing cars are actually not using the turbocharged Blackwing engine that Cadillac developed, but rather will use the S/C 6.2L LT4 from the camaro ZL1.  Blackwing is now merely a trim level. 

No idea what the Blackwing engine is going into.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
Well, I should read more carefully.

But I guess my point is emphasized even more now. Trim level and engine with the same name. Great name though.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Well, I should read more carefully.

But I guess my point is emphasized even more now. Trim level and engine with the same name. Great name though.

I have no problem with the trim name.  Blackwing is a cool name, and if they want to use it to denote their ultimate performance versions, I have no issue with that. 

I'm just curious as to what kind of executive team would sign off on the tens of millions required to develop a brand new in-house high performance engine from scratch, without any avenue of making a return on it.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
The CT4-V will have a V6, not a V8.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
Caddy should go back to naming their cars, not this keyboard mash.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
Re: Cadillac CT4-V and CT5-V Blackwing Mark Return of Brand's Super Sedans
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 02:31:24 pm »
Seems like the Blackwing might be a future consideration... at least they have a manual still :)
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 02:47:21 pm »
 :iagree:

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 03:46:13 pm »
My criticism of the new Caddy is they dropped the square bore/stroke LTG engine and now use the long stroke LSY. If I were looking to a GM car, I would go for a late model ATS RWD or a Camaro with the LTG engine.

I just realized the Malibu and just departed Buick Regal also use the LTG engine. The Malibu my be an option if I want 4 doors, but I bet I can get a smokin' deal on a Regal right now.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 04:30:14 pm by Davep »