Author Topic: Blizzak DM-V2 versus Michelin Latitude XIce Xi2  (Read 14298 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Blizzak DM-V2 versus Michelin Latitude XIce Xi2
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 09:25:58 pm »
Don't know how much faith you put in the APA ratings but FWIW.....

http://www.apa.ca/winter-tires-reviews-pickups-and-suvs.asp
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2019, 09:36:52 pm »
The size is 235/65/17.  I don't think the Xi3 is available in that size.

X-Ice Xi3 and Blizzak WS90 are passenger car tires while Latitude Xi2 and Blizzak DM-V2 are truck and SUV tires. Minivan sizes ymmv.

Yesterday, I sold the Blizzak WS80s my Matrix came with and got a set of X-Ice Xi3.

What didn't you like about the WS-80's?

They’re both good tires, and maybe the Blizzaks had marginally better traction, but I felt like the point of loss of traction was too abrupt. The X-Ice gives a more gradual warning. I know what to do with the X-Ice and not the Blizzaks. I think in the end, it’s more what you’re used to. No wrong answer.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2019, 10:37:16 pm »
I bought the DM-V2s.  Today was the first experience with them in snow/ice.  They’re great. 

Current fleet of cars is all Blizzak: DM-V2, WS-80 and DM-V1.  Not a performance tire but effective in really poor conditions.

The crop of name brand snow tires is so good, you can't go wrong, really.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2019, 10:54:30 pm »
The interesting thing is that the outgoing tires - the DMV1s I replaced - had 7/32 of tread.  I guess I could have kept them for one more season but I have winter tires not just to get by but to survive winter confidently.  I don’t have a lot of spare time but I posted the old outgoing tires on Kijiji.  They sold in a few hours with no effort.

Given the online market for used tires, there’s sense in replacing them frequently.  With useable tread, used tires can be easy to sell, especially this time of year.  But and resell often.

Unless oddball or less popular sized, maybe.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2019, 11:33:07 pm »
The interesting thing is that the outgoing tires - the DMV1s I replaced - had 7/32 of tread.  I guess I could have kept them for one more season but I have winter tires not just to get by but to survive winter confidently.  I don’t have a lot of spare time but I posted the old outgoing tires on Kijiji.  They sold in a few hours with no effort.

Given the online market for used tires, there’s sense in replacing them frequently.  With useable tread, used tires can be easy to sell, especially this time of year.  But and resell often.

And here I thought replacing 2 rear tires after 5 winters was a little wasteful  :rofl2: I didn't measure but it seems the tread was less than half of the new tires. Pretty sure they will last another two seasons for the new owner.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2019, 05:00:31 am »
I had Latitude Xice 2  tires on the Audi Q5.    They worked really well but did not inspire confidence in me...don't know why, it may have been that my butt was much further off the road than in any previous car i have owned or driven in snow.
Now have DM-V2 on the Volvo.   Only driven 50 feet in yesterdays snow so no idea yet how they will work.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2019, 10:50:40 am »
4th snowfall of the season started overnight, it is going to be a long winter. The DMV2s are solid. It took a few weeks to scrub in and now they feel better than the first storm.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2019, 08:02:23 pm »
Only a little snow today, but DAMN the roads are icy.  The WS-90s on the Corolla are AMAZING.  The missus reports she's having no issues whatsoever getting around today.

As for the Highlander, I had to run a bunch of errands today, taking stuff to the Eco Centre, and so on, so unfortunately had to be out.  The condo is sold and the possession date is tomorrow, so everything had to be gone.

And the DMV-2s continue to impress.  Even on glare ice, the HL is super solid.  Did flash the TRACS light a little today, but not much considering how ridiculous the surface was.