Author Topic: 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Preview: Mid-engined Sports Car to Start at $72k  (Read 10911 times)

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
The Corvette makes almost all performance cars seem like they're overpriced. The C7 did this, but the C8 takes it to another level.

:iagree:

I'm with the group that figure we'll see a manual at some point as well, some kinda special edition.

This thing will be a beast on the track, and an auto will make for quick, quick lap times out of most drivers. To pilot a manual with this kinda power, grip & brakes takes a skilled pilot to get the most out of it. Timing the heel/toe downshifts would take a :censor: ton of practice... mind you it could be equipped with the rev match to make that part easier  :o
You live everyday. You only die once....

ltruong

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
I'm with the group that figure we'll see a manual at some point as well, some kinda special edition.
i'm not so sure...if you look at the middle console where the transmission buttons are, there is very little room there...both in terms of actual real estate width, but i think the shifter ball would also hit the infotainment screen in its forward positions.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12420
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
The Corvette makes almost all performance cars seem like they're overpriced. The C7 did this, but the C8 takes it to another level.

Yup!
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline RoadRageous

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +16/-13
    • View Profile
How much do they want for a loaded Zupr4 again?  :rofl2:

Roughly $65k so while the Corvette is certainly a better value there's zero price overlap here.

To me, this is the  really interesting test case for the C8. So much of the purchase decision is emotion. The R8 is an AUDI with styling that is timeless art. The Porsche is a 911 with all that history of distinctive design. The BMW 8 Series is a whole different social class.

But how much cachet does the Supra and Z4 and even GTR have without a clear performance or price advantage ?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
To me, this is the  really interesting test case for the C8. So much of the purchase decision is emotion. The R8 is an AUDI with styling that is timeless art. The Porsche is a 911 with all that history of distinctive design. The BMW 8 Series is a whole different social class.

But how much cachet does the Supra and Z4 and even GTR have without a clear performance or price advantage ?

I think the Supra is targeting buyers who are fans of Japanese cars, which is a bit ironic considering how German it is. The Z4 is less of a pure performance car and more of a grand touring 'vert. I'm not sure its buyers are cross shopping with the Corvette.

Despite the dramatic shift to a mid-engine layout, in terms of performance the Corvette has always offered the most bang for the buck.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300

I think the Supra is targeting buyers who are fans of Japanese cars, which is a bit ironic considering how German it is. The Z4 is less of a pure performance car and more of a grand touring 'vert. I'm not sure its buyers are cross shopping with the Corvette.

Despite the dramatic shift to a mid-engine layout, in terms of performance the Corvette has always offered the most bang for the buck.

See, I wouldn't consider the new "Supra" a japanese car, its german. As for the Z4, meh, its a cabrio for people that can afford something a bit better than a Chrysler Sebring. The Vette however, is a super car category car with a Presidents Choice label.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
This isn't news...the Corvette being a value proposition. It's always been this way, hence the moniker Everyman Sportscar.

Some people just don't want/like a GM/Corvette...which is why they buy Caymans...or even Supras...or whatever. Much in the same way a Corvette fan/GM slappy wouldn't buy anything else.

I have little interest in Corvettes...except for the C6 Z06 which was the one I liked the best...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
What are the chances a dealer will sell you a base model C8? That's all I would want for a street car, but is that possible or is the CDN base price a teaser and you'll only actually be able to buy something loaded up with option packages?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
What are the chances a dealer will sell you a base model C8? That's all I would want for a street car, but is that possible or is the CDN base price a teaser and you'll only actually be able to buy something loaded up with option packages?

You just need to order one. Finding an allocation might be tough, but I think a good percentage of Corvettes are ordered so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-330
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
This isn't news...the Corvette being a value proposition. It's always been this way, hence the moniker Everyman Sportscar.

Some people just don't want/like a GM/Corvette...which is why they buy Caymans...or even Supras...or whatever. Much in the same way a Corvette fan/GM slappy wouldn't buy anything else.

I have little interest in Corvettes...except for the C6 Z06 which was the one I liked the best...

If the reactions and comments I'm seeing on our local car forums there are going to be many non-GM/Domestic buyers interested in owning a Corvette. This is exactly what I think the Corvette brand needs too.