Author Topic: Ford knew Focus, Fiesta models had flawed transmission, sold them anyway  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
I just feel bad for the poor saps stuck with these POS vehicles as they will also be unsellable. Good time to buy a Fiesta/Focus at a huge discount and drop in a manual tranny

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
So, do these cars still technically work, but just drive poorly?

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
I'm old school, but the only auto trans I would buy in a vehicle would have a torque converter and old fashioned planetary gearset. Flush the fluid every five or so years with standard fluid and replace the filter (or clean the screen). No CVTs or DCTs for me. Who needs the surprises?

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile

I guess that a positive way to look at this?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300

Well, not really, from what I've heard you can get a box full of neutrals while driving or a judder so bad your fillings almost fall out. If I knew someone that had one it would end up in a gravel pit on fire, best way to get out of this.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
A friend has a 2013 Focus that she's had a lot of problems with but the transmission has been fine. I've driven the car multiple times and while I don't love the transmission it does seem to function correctly. The car has around 180k on it too.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Interestingly enough the 2013 Focus I had (leased) for 3 years and about 56K km did not exhibit any major problems much less shifting to neutral on its own while driving.
Yes, the transmission made some funny noises sometimes at low speed stop&go (from the clutches engaging I would guess) and in 2 occasions I think I got an warning that transmission is overheating and to pull over for 8 min (I remember I was thinking that is a very specific number) to let it cool down. The latter happened when I was crawling on a steep ramp for 30-40 min to get out of a busy underground parking after an event. The warning came on right when I hit the street so I ignored it and kept driving.
And yes, in very specific driving conditions it was slow shifting but that only happened with aggressive driving not normal driving.

I guess I was lucky or didn't have the car long enough to face these problems but I too felt it's not a tranny that I would like to have long term.

Otherwise the car was reliable for the time I had it and it was nice to drive for a regular car. I  only had one problem with the driver door handle which was replaced under warranty (the proximity sensor stopped working).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 11:14:01 am by carcrazy »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Quality is job #1.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Interestingly enough the 2013 Focus I had (leased) for 3 years and about $56K did not exhibit any major problems much less shifting to neutral on its own while driving.

$56k?! :o

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Interestingly enough the 2013 Focus I had (leased) for 3 years and about $56K did not exhibit any major problems much less shifting to neutral on its own while driving.

I think he meant kms, not $.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander

56K km ....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
Lol thank goodness.

I test drove a manual Focus and thought it had one of the best feeling manual transmissions on the market at the time despite only being a 5 speed.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Lol thank goodness.

I test drove a manual Focus and thought it had one of the best feeling manual transmissions on the market at the time despite only being a 5 speed.

So, this issue is only applicable to the DCT transmission, which would be most of the Foci/Fiestas sold.  The manual transmission was not affected.

Also, I take it you've never driven a Honda manual transmission?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
I liked the manual in the GTI/GLI better than the SI. The clutch takeup and rev hang didn't do it any favours either.

The current Civic manual isn't s good as previous generations. Also has a synchro issue making 2-3 shift crunchy.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
Lol thank goodness.

So, this issue is only applicable to the DCT transmission, which would be most of the Foci/Fiestas sold.  The manual transmission was not affected.

Also, I take it you've never driven a Honda manual transmission?

I can’t recall driving a stick shift Honda newer than the 90s, but the Focus stick shift was on par with a VW City Golf I drove. Smooth precise grips, little slop, good clutch feel that was neither too vague nor too race car, I really liked it.