Author Topic: URGENT : Going to buy a 2018 BMW X3 from the dealer with 10k KM... Inspection?  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Malkavian

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Impreza
Hey guys!

So, I'm most likely going to buy a BMW X3 2018 with 10,000 km directly from the BMW dealership today.

It's selling for ~41k so I'm saving quite a bit compared to a brand new one and it's only been in circulation for 7 months.

My plan is to keep it for about 3 years then sell it back to the dealer. I'm told since it's the brand new 3rd generation (which won't change for at least 6 years), it will retain it's value and since I barely do 12,000 km per year, the car will still be worth around 32,000$ when I sell it back to the dealer in 3 years.

So, my cost of owning is pretty low and I'm under warranty for the entire 3 years.

Let me know if you think my reasoning is flawed somehow.

So... back to my original question. Since the car is almost brand new, still has almost it's whole warranty and is a CPO bought directly from the dealership, is it really necessary to have it fully inspected from an independent mechanic?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:31:58 am by Malkavian »

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
There's no way you're getting $32,000 on trade in 3 years...that's like leasing for $250 per month all in.  In fact, if the dealer is telling you that you will, what you should do is just do a 3 year lease and ask for a residual of $32,000.  I bet they are telling you "yeah, it'll be worth xxx in 3 years" but won't actually guarantee that with a residual. 

Just think about it....they need to re-condition that vehicle when they take it back, if they pay you $32,000 for it they'll need to list it for like $35k+ to break even...and would you buy a 4 year old vehicle for that price if you can get an 8 month old one for $41k?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
I agree with the trade in valuation that Valuator (hehehe) has posited.  You're not getting $32 back for it.  That's the dealer telling you something you want to hear so that you'll sign on the dotted line. 

Don't let that sway you from getting the vehicle...if that's what you like and want to drive.  Just understand that your cost of ownership will be higher than you think it will be. 

And, if its CPO, a year old, I think you're fine skipping the private inspection. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
$41 to $32. That is almost Buick Envision territory but not quite lol   :rofl2:

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
$41 to $32. That is almost Buick Envision territory but not quite lol   :rofl2:

You've got it all backwards. Envision buying a Buick in the US for 32k and selling it here for 41k 3 years later.  :P
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
If by "selling back to the dealer" you mean trade in, $32K seems a bit high and hardly a guaranteed figure (many things could happen during your ownership). Just take a look at what 4 years old X3s sell for retail and subtract about $5K to be on the safe side to get an idea of what you can expect on trade in for your car at that time.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 11:37:43 am by carcrazy »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
when they say it should be worth 32 in 3 years... they mean, it is likely a retail piece for 31995 with their crystal ball... which would mean you will get 25-26k on a trade value. and that is only if their magic number is right, which they have zero actual clue.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now