Author Topic: Question about Ultrasonic Gasoline Mist cars  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Rob899

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: None
Question about Ultrasonic Gasoline Mist cars
« on: May 06, 2019, 06:48:37 pm »
Hi, I just joined this forum because I know almost nothing about cars, and was recently told of some sort of technique having to do with ultrasonic as a way to increase fuel efficiency.  I was mostly wondering if anyone has heard of anything like this before, and what their take on it is if it's true.  Like would it be dangerous, hence the car manufacturers don't do this?  Is it not cost-efficient?  Is it already actually being implemented...??  I'm mostly asking because I can't find any discussion about this by googling.  The most I found was a YouTube video, and I don't even know for sure if this was what he was talking about.  The video was titled "Car running on ultrasonic gasoline mist (1 of 5)".  Just to clarify, the point the person I spoke to was making was that this sort of technology was known, but not in use, and I'm just wondering if this is true, and if so, why (for the sake of curiosity).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 06:56:48 pm by Rob899 »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Question about Ultrasonic Gasoline Mist cars
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 08:02:40 pm »
Looks like some ancient carburetor using  car and the guy is making a good well atomised gas/air mixture  and introducing it to the engine through the old carb.  Back in those days of carburetors  that was the purpose of the carburetor jest in the airflow through the card to produced a well atomised  air fuel mixture.   Bernoulli's principle is involved here.

I suspect a modern port fuel injected engine manages to do the same very nicely with half the fiddling about and cleaner burning in the engine 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 08:08:06 pm by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 08:25:30 pm »
Post # 1.....2........3.............10 ..... :spam:
Out with your magic device, OP  :popcorn:
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 08:34:14 pm »
^^ This.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 08:52:39 pm »
Here's the manual version in action starting ~40 second mark.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hvQookbnRoA

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 09:00:32 am »
Modern direct injection engines are near perfect in atomizing fuel. If any gains were even possible, they'd be so marginal as to be pointless.

Also this ultrasonic shenanigans has been around since at least the early 1970s. Didn't work then, much less likely to work now.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Rob899

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 11:52:27 am »
This wasn't actually a spam post, but I totally understand the responses.

Also this ultrasonic shenanigans has been around since at least the early 1970s. Didn't work then, much less likely to work now.

Thank you, that makes more sense.  I was wondering if you could elaborate, this is exactly the sort of info I was hoping to find here.  The guy who mentioned this does happen to be older, was probably born in the 50's, and he does tend to bs at times.  I'm just curious why it didn't work, and where the idea even came from, because I never heard of this before.  I normally let it go when I spot bs, but in this case, I don't really know anything about the subject.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 12:05:03 pm by Rob899 »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 12:05:51 pm »
Modern direct injection engines are near perfect in atomizing fuel. If any gains were even possible, they'd be so marginal as to be pointless.

The difference is now weed is legal in Canada so more people may believe in it  :rofl2:

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 01:04:36 pm »

Thank you, that makes more sense.  I was wondering if you could elaborate, this is exactly the sort of info I was hoping to find here.  The guy who mentioned this does happen to be older, was probably born in the 50's, and he does tend to bs at times.  I'm just curious why it didn't work, and where the idea even came from, because I never heard of this before.  I normally let it go when I spot bs, but in this case, I don't really know anything about the subject.

It's not that ultrasonic atomization doesn't work, there are piles of home humidifiers that work on the same principle, it's that they add complexity and parasitic load to provide little to no benefit. 

Even in the days of carburettors, 90+% of fuel was adequately atomized. The addition of a theoretically effective ultrasonic system might gain an additional few percent or so. It just wasn't worth it. And that's assuming the system was sized appropriately and actually worked. A lot of these systems were slapped together by con-men and fly-by-night operations. 

With the changes since to throttle body injection, multi-port injection and now direct injection, there just isn't anything left on the table.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:50:24 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline Rob899

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 11:35:16 am »
I just want to mention that this is not meant to be spam, I'm just putting this down in case anyone else is looking for info on this in the future, and I would appreciate any feedback or corrections to get a fuller picture, since I'm a layman when it comes to this stuff (also, the articles I refer to were from google searches that seemed relevant).

----------------------------------------------

It's not that ultrasonic atomization doesn't work, there are piles of home humidifiers that work on the same principle, it's that they add complexity and parasitic load to provide little to no benefit. 

Even in the days of carburettors, 90+% of fuel was adequately atomized. The addition of a theoretically effective ultrasonic system might gain an additional few percent or so. It just wasn't worth it. And that's assuming the system was sized appropriately and actually worked. A lot of these systems were slapped together by con-men and fly-by-night operations. 

With the changes since to throttle body injection, multi-port injection and now direct injection, there just isn't anything left on the table.

Thank you, that makes a lot more sense, and helped fill in a lot of gaps.  I think the problem was that the guy I spoke to was talking about how this system (I finally found it on google: an ultrasonic gasoline evaporation transducer) would be more efficient than the carburetor, yet knowing nothing about cars, I had no idea that carburetors were a thing of the past, having been replaced by computerized fuel injection systems that have been constantly improving (models in the US market with carburetors were apparently phased out completely by the early 90's).  I saw an article on a site called ScienceDirect titled "Ultrasonic Gasoline Evaporation Transducer - Reduction of Internal Combustion Engine Fuel Consumption using Axiomatic Design," but the prototype seems to have only the efficiency of a carburetor, although it seems less vulnerable to congestion risks compared to the carburetor and fuel injectors (according to the article).

I also found an interesting reply on a site called ResearchGate to the question, "What are the advantages of using fuel injector compared to the carburetor in the internal combustion engine?" and the advantages are clear.

Muhammad Hazwan Bin Marzuki
Universiti Malaysia Pahang

The advantages of fuel injection system are:

1. Fast acceleration and deceleration (due to shortage of travel path)

2. Increased rate of vaporization leads to near-complete combustion: During port injection, the fuel-spray falls on hot inlet-valve (heated by in-cylinder gases), which increases the vaporization further.

3. Engine starts in single-cranking (in case of carburated engines, engine starts after two or three crankings)

4. No need of choke operation in winter (Manual operation of choke of a carburetor is required in two-wheels only)

Possibility to consider temperature and air pressure (e.g. for cold start)

Possibility of exhaust emission control by use of a lambda sensor (e.g. for stochiometric combustion and controlled catalytic conversion).

No problems with carbonizing nozzles and float chamber.

Possibility of engine map programming with a certain degree of freedom.

From what I gather, the major advantages of a carburetor are that it's less costly and easier to repair compared to the computerized fuel injection system, but according to an article titled "Do Cars Still Have Carburetors" on the site GilisAutomotive, "Many of today’s cars and trucks are now utilizing direct-injection, a system that has been proven to improve engine efficiency, and by turn, increase consumer fuel economy. Where standard fuel injection systems simply made carburetors outdated, direct injection makes them look positively quaint."

Ironically, looking back, I even remember chuckling at the time, because "fuel efficiency" is practically the only part I remember hearing in most car commercials, and was thinking that it makes no sense that there would be a technology out there that was significantly more fuel efficient yet not in use, although in the case of direct-injection, even if the process is less fuel efficient, it would likely be marginal and is outweighed by clear performance advantages that direct-injection brings to other areas as listed above in that quote from ResearchGate, especially if, referring to Sir Osis above, we're talking about one or two percentage points somewhere above 90%, perhaps even percentages of percentages (stats would be interesting though of course).

In other words, everything I'm reading is confirming what Sir Osis is saying, one way or another.  I'd have to do more research to understand why a lot of this stuff is the case, and for all I know, perhaps some sort of hybrid tech is possible and may become a thing one day, but then again, it may simply not be as effective as what we have now, or what will be developed.  Who knows...

That being said, I think I got what I came here for, and I wanted to say thanks for the info.

(Just noting the article "Carburetor vs Fuel Injection: Understanding the Pros and Cons" on a site called CarsDirect for future reference in case I come back to this)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 01:44:32 pm by Rob899 »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 02:12:19 pm »
If you stick around you'll notice that there are often 1 post wonders who post seemingly legitimate (or not) questions, and simply never come back again.  Russian bots no doubt.  Trying to screw with our elections.  But boy did they come to the wrong place!!

PS - we LOVE gifs around here.  Hit 10 posts (maybe less?) and you too, can become a gif-master.  Sir O and Fob I believe are the senseis of giffing.

Sir-O is so good...watch, in action:

I think she's calling for "more sway!" or swag...hard to know.  Sir-O??

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 02:57:02 pm »

The difference is now weed is legal in Canada so more people may believe in it  :rofl2:

I too feel snake oil dealers need to get their merch up to date. I'd suggest they try range extending cold fusion supercapacitors which when plugged to a traction battery will give your PHEV up to an additional 500 miles of range*

*downhill with closed windows. YMMV.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Mr Pickypants

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 05:32:23 pm »
Only way to increase mileage is either electric motors or feet power
https://images.app.goo.gl/DpdmhQSyeqZojcCP9