Author Topic: Chrysler Pacifica vs Kia Sedona - would like to hear from owner experiences!  (Read 4715 times)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
The wife just bought a 2019 Sedona. It is nice van. The seats have 4 car seat clips vs 3 of the Dodge if that is a factor. The seats come with a water resistant material which my wife loved for any spills. The dash/console is by far the best. My wife hated the console in the lower level Grand Caravans (it looked like a cheap aftermarket unit) and the Honda. The Dodge J type shifter was also a turn off for her. The new Honda drove like a dog with the ECO mode turned on - it was surprisingly sluggish. Fine once it was turned off though. The interior materials were nicer on the Kia than the Honda. The Honda is a little out there with digital gauges and push button shifter. The Kia is more conventional. The Honda will no doubt hold its value better long term.

She also test drove Pacifica (I didn't come for that). She liked it less than the Grand Caravan but I didn't catch why.

Offline onearmed

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile

The new Honda drove like a dog with the ECO mode turned on - it was surprisingly sluggish. Fine once it was turned off though. The interior materials were nicer on the Kia than the Honda. The Honda is a little out there with digital gauges and push button shifter. The Kia is more conventional.

Just bought an Odyssey a couple of months ago and the Eco mode is the worst I've ever seen.  I have to turn it off. Throttle response is non existent. Seems like you have 50hp instead of 280.

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
The wife just bought a 2019 Sedona. It is nice van. The seats have 4 car seat clips vs 3 of the Dodge if that is a factor. The seats come with a water resistant material which my wife loved for any spills. The dash/console is by far the best. My wife hated the console in the lower level Grand Caravans (it looked like a cheap aftermarket unit) and the Honda. The Dodge J type shifter was also a turn off for her. The new Honda drove like a dog with the ECO mode turned on - it was surprisingly sluggish. Fine once it was turned off though. The interior materials were nicer on the Kia than the Honda. The Honda is a little out there with digital gauges and push button shifter. The Kia is more conventional. The Honda will no doubt hold its value better long term.

She also test drove Pacifica (I didn't come for that). She liked it less than the Grand Caravan but I didn't catch why.

Very surprising that she preferred the Grand Caravan. I've had both as rental vehicles and the Pacifica was better in every way except price.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Yeah that Oddyssey Eco mode I had to be into the throttle more deeply than reasonable to maintain 70km/h on a flat section. Very odd. Especially when the engine makes piles of power.

I dunno about the Pacifica as I didn't really press her on why. I was a little surprised as well but I didn't really care one way or the other so no need to sell her on it.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
This feels like my experience with FCA when I had a Fiat...

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chrysler/pacifica/2018/2018-chrysler-pacifica-limited-long-term-update-2-review/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
FCA problems........not surprised.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
I think the only Pacifica I'd own is the PHEV and it would have to be a lease.

It's easily the best looking minivan and the interior is very well thought out but if it's not reliable then it fails at its primary task.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
I love love love that interior in brown. But it's too bad about everything else. Just get a Sienna or Odyssey.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
wow... sounds fun!

we did have some issues with a couple of our start stop systems... I think it ended up being the separate battery or something which of course, was back-ordered. such a pain in the ass.

they are a nice van.. but they added so much tech that there are bound to be problems. add that FCA stores aren't known for being the best of the best... there are definitely good ones out there, but even they are only as good as the vehicle they are working on and the parts availability.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
I drove all vans in a comparo here two years ago, and the Sedona reminded me of my last Pontiac Montana rental. Need I say more?

The Ody is fantastic but pricey, Sienna is close - depends on preferences. Pacifica feels like a premium vehicle, but is also priced like one. But: Made in Canada. I would also get the PHEV, wait for rebates, and consider lease. GC is not that bad as long as one keeps the price down.

For the record, I'm the odd minivan-owning car reviewer. Had a 2003 Ody and 2004 MPV at the same time (main and 2nd car), and we replaced the Honda with a new one in 2012.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist