Author Topic: 2019 Jaguar I-Pace in a Canadian Winter  (Read 1630 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
2019 Jaguar I-Pace in a Canadian Winter
« on: April 02, 2019, 09:24:47 am »
2,200 km in Northern Ontario with Jaguar’s first EV.
Read more...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 03:04:53 pm by autoTRADER.ca »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: 2019 Jaguar I-Pace in a Canadian Winter
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 09:53:45 am »
you need to fix the link...the data in the URL link is incorrect, which is causing a 404 error.

use this one:  https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20190402/2019-jaguar-i-pace-in-a-canadian-winter/
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 11:42:40 am »
Too much range anxiety for me... great review though  :thumbup: :thumbup:  Hadn't watched one of Justin's videos in a long while, so I appreciated the work put into it.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +392/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 12:55:12 pm »
Holy crap. Spent 3 hours just charging the car for a drive that is only around 400 kms. Also so many issues trying to get the car charged.  No thanks.

I regularly experienced public chargers that were broken, suffering from fault codes, or that (for reasons unknown) took multiple attempts to switch on – sometimes requiring as much as 30 minutes of fiddling or chatting with a tech-support agent to remedy.

On two occasions, I had to dig my way into charging stations that were partially buried in snowbanks. One of these was just 40 feet from a nicely maintained gas station.

One another occasion, a Level 3 fast charger station I’d planned on using was occupied by another EV, who didn’t return to unplug their car in the 90 minutes I waited for them. In this particular situation (and luckily), there was a Level 2 charger nearby, so I used that instead.

Level 2 chargers are much slower than Level 3 chargers, so this situation could easily add several hours to a trip. Ditto a broken charger.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 01:26:51 pm »
Holy crap. Spent 3 hours just charging the car for a drive that is only around 400 kms. Also so many issues trying to get the car charged.  No thanks.

I regularly experienced public chargers that were broken, suffering from fault codes, or that (for reasons unknown) took multiple attempts to switch on – sometimes requiring as much as 30 minutes of fiddling or chatting with a tech-support agent to remedy.

On two occasions, I had to dig my way into charging stations that were partially buried in snowbanks. One of these was just 40 feet from a nicely maintained gas station.

One another occasion, a Level 3 fast charger station I’d planned on using was occupied by another EV, who didn’t return to unplug their car in the 90 minutes I waited for them. In this particular situation (and luckily), there was a Level 2 charger nearby, so I used that instead.

Level 2 chargers are much slower than Level 3 chargers, so this situation could easily add several hours to a trip. Ditto a broken charger.
It would only leave me with about 6 km on a round trip to Toronto airport but does not included anytime sitting in the airport cellphone parking lot waiting to pick someone up  :o

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 02:43:42 pm »
Charging issues outside of your home urban area are right now one the real limiting factors to transitioning from ICE to EV ownership.

I think the PHEV hybrid models are a solid stop-gap, and offer dramatic drops in fuel consumption without any range issues.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1240
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 07:58:21 pm »

Connectivity issues to level 3 chargers are reported frequently on I-Pace forums, along with a lot of other issues.