Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback vs 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback  (Read 7503 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
I had a Corolla sedan as a rental recently. 

It was horrible.  Gutless, loud, tinny, etc.

Compared to the service loaner Civic my wife had several months ago, there really isn't any comparison in terms of handling, seating position, and steering.

Maybe I expect too much in this class of car.
Funny...I had a Civic loaner and was delighted to get rid of it after a day to get a Corolla loaner.....

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT

Compared to the service loaner Civic my wife had several months ago, there really isn't any comparison in terms of handling, seating position, and steering.

It's a previous gen Corolla, completely unrelated to the 2019 Corolla hatch and 2020 Corolla sedan.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Funny...I had a Civic loaner and was delighted to get rid of it after a day to get a Corolla loaner.....

That may be impossible for me to believe.

But I really want to.

But I can't.
Believe it.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD

That may be impossible for me to believe.

But I really want to.

But I can't.
Believe it.
reminds me of this scene (about 30 seconds in, but this 52 second clip gives more of the scene for context).  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVqPlJ9yro0
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile

It's a previous gen Corolla, completely unrelated to the 2019 Corolla hatch and 2020 Corolla sedan.

2019 sedan. 760 km on the odometer.

That's a previous gen. This thread is about the 2019 hatchback which is a new generation. The 2020 Corolla sedan will be roughly based on the hatchback. So to complain about a previous generation Corolla in a next generation Corolla thread is kind of pointless, although the 1.8L 126/132 HP engine is still standard in the sedan and you bet the rental car companies will mostly stock those, with an option for a 2.0L 2.0L 168 HP "Dynamic Force" engine or a Hybrid powerplant.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Dynamic Force.  That’s cute.

Sounds better than Honda's engine nomenclature:  Earth Dreams.   :rofl: :rofl2:

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 06:39:42 pm by rrocket »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
Not really complaining; just stating my experience.

Dynamic Force.  That’s cute.

It's for their new lines of engines that are among the most thermally efficient in the world for way better fuel economy and/or more power. 168 HP from a naturally aspirated 2.0L is pretty good and users on Fuelly are averaging 6.4 L/100km in the Corolla equipped with it vs. 7.5 to 7.8 L/100km in the previous Corollas with the old 1.8L.

The 2019 RAV4 with the Dynamic Force 2.5 has an average 203 HP so it seems they may have wanted to focus on fuel economy instead, 2019 RAV4 owners are averaging 8.8 L/100km vs. 10.0 L/100km on previous gas RAV4s.

So yea, the fuel consumption is cute.

https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/connect/3066/dynamic-force-engines

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Well at least with Earth Dreams one can suggest that it has something to do with fuel economy.

Really?  Earth Dreams = fuel economy to you??  Like in a tree hugger sort of way you mean?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Well at least with Earth Dreams one can suggest that it has something to do with fuel economy.

Really?  Earth Dreams = fuel economy to you??  Like in a tree hugger sort of way you mean?

Sure.  Clean air...Earth Dreams.  Better fuel mileage and emissions.

Shrugs.

It's still a cuter name.   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Next time I plant a tree I will call it the process of Dynamic Force.  Because Toyota marketing.

:P

I'd say the digging of the hole part would certainly require Dynamic Force.   ;D

Once planted you can have your Earth Dreams?   ;D