Author Topic: Help!! Is this car dealer committing fraud?  (Read 1993 times)

Offline easterncust

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 200
Help!! Is this car dealer committing fraud?
« on: February 15, 2019, 10:17:43 am »
Sold me a car and I found out it was a previous Enterprise rental vehicle. They told me it was a clean carproof and never checked off yes or no if it was a rental. They told me no accidents and they ticked off salvage on the form. I brought this to the GMs attention and he changed it to a NO - not salvage a week after I bought the car. I called Manitoba Public Insurance and they told me there are indeed damage records.

Eastern Chrysler Winnipeg

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: Help!! Is this car dealer committing fraud?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 10:22:29 am »
No. There is a difference between some minor accidents and being declared salvage.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 10:27:10 am »
did you actually see the carproof?

man, I wish my customers were this trusting. and hell, I actually deserve the trust! don't take a persons word on a carproof... and it also would have shown "registered as fleet" as the first owner.  we have things like carproof/carfax and the like... USE them. in Manitoba, I don't think you have any specific protection agency, so it is just up to the good old fashioned putting up a stink to get your money back or whatever.

anytime you are asked to sign something like the form above, ASK what it is, and ASK why certain parts aren't filled out or completed. likely the was a police report or something on the carproof with no dollar figure. tends to be the case with rentals.

if you want to give me the last 8 of the VIN I can at least give a bit of Chrysler background for you...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 10:32:20 am »
When buying...  Read line by line, ask questions and don't sign anything if something doesn't feel right or is not clear. Best practice is to avoid any situation/place where the persons compensation is linked to selling you something lol. Still waiting for the day when I can buy a vehicle direct from Costco. Great return policy! ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 10:51:47 am »
When buying...  Read line by line, ask questions and don't sign anything if something doesn't feel right or is not clear. Best practice is to avoid any situation/place where the persons compensation is linked to selling you something lol. Still waiting for the day when I can buy a vehicle direct from Costco. Great return policy! ;D

Not directly from Costco
https://www.costcoauto.ca/promo/default.aspx?utm_source=costcoca&utm_medium=services_page&utm_campaign=cagm2019&utm_content=vehicle_page_en&utm_key=7ad04d1d-ba31-4d96-a5bd-fc8afba4f2fa&cmpc=1

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 10:57:22 am »
You still have to set foot in a dealership and deal with the lizards.

Offline easterncust

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 200
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 11:39:53 am »
No. There is a difference between some minor accidents and being declared salvage.

The strange thing is that the carproof does NOT have any damage records, it does NOT say it was sold at an auction (and it actually was) and it does not say it's a fleet vehicle or a rental.

How can someone hide all three of those very important things???

I thought the car might have been stolen so I got the police to check the VIN. Nothing shows up.

...and how would Manitoba Public Insurance have damage records that are not visible on Carproof?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 11:45:05 am by easterncust »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 09:08:39 am »
Meh...my car was a rental (though they didn't know to where or if it was a Ford exec car)...Car Proof showed no accident damage...even the dealer didn't know it had any until I pointed out the fact the front fender was a slightly different colour, and that the fender bolts didn't have paint on them...little details even they didn't see.  Looks like the driver side was replaced.  But...no idea if it was a hit or a simple turned into a parking lot stanchion - and I've had it since 2011 with not an issue.  It's a pissoff yeah, but if the car is good otherwise...probably nothing more than a pissoff.  OTOH...it is a Wpg dealer...chances are they're just full of shi# and are playing dumb.  No Tooscoops there.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 09:13:12 am »
Meh...my car was a rental (though they didn't know to where or if it was a Ford exec car)...Car Proof showed no accident damage...even the dealer didn't know it had any until I pointed out the fact the front fender was a slightly different colour, and that the fender bolts didn't have paint on them...little details even they didn't see.  Looks like the driver side was replaced.  But...no idea if it was a hit or a simple turned into a parking lot stanchion - and I've had it since 2011 with not an issue.  It's a pissoff yeah, but if the car is good otherwise...probably nothing more than a pissoff.  OTOH...it is a Wpg dealer...chances are they're just full of shi# and are playing dumb.  No Tooscoops there.

Carproof only shows damage that went through insurance.  If somebody was involved in a minor accident, like hitting a lamppost, bollard, or a small fender bender, and took care of the repair themselves by paying the bodyshop directly, it wouldn't show up on CarProof.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 09:44:16 am »

Carproof only shows damage that went through insurance.  If somebody was involved in a minor accident, like hitting a lamppost, bollard, or a small fender bender, and took care of the repair themselves by paying the bodyshop directly, it wouldn't show up on CarProof.
YesYes..but he's saying salvage!

Not sure how you sneak that past carfax/carproof since most of the time it's insurance declaring it a total loss.

Doesn't Carfax/Carproof have a buy back of a salvage isn't shown?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 10:33:33 am »

YesYes..but he's saying salvage!

Not sure how you sneak that past carfax/carproof since most of the time it's insurance declaring it a total loss.

Doesn't Carfax/Carproof have a buy back of a salvage isn't shown?

To me it looks like the dealer mistakenly checked the salvage box and then corrected it. I'm willing to bet moderate accident but not salvaged.