Author Topic: The Perfect Ride for Your Family Day Weekend  (Read 4459 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: The Perfect Ride for Your Family Day Weekend
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 09:59:32 pm »
A sports sedan works for a family vacation if you're staying some place and just walking around (i.e. not skiing, camping, etc).  It wouldn't work for our lifestyle.

The Golf wagon a couple of times per year gets packed to the brim with a full roof box.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 10:10:54 pm »
Pretty sure an E53 AMG Wagon with a roof box would be just as functional as if not more than most SUV excluding the Yukon XL.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2019, 01:37:16 am »
The V70R wasn't a great family car. Lack of legroom for the family had me dumping it early.
funny, when I rode in one it had plenty of room for everything, and then some - 4 adults and all the luggage

Family of 5. Two integrated boosters and one ze middle.  Yeah it could haul luggage but the rear seat room was awful,  Swedes must be tiny people?   The Passat wagon I had before had less cargo room and more rear seat room.

The LR3 I replaced it with was a revelation. A bigger back seat and more cargo room (due to the vertical) in a shorter footprint. Correction just looked and the V70 was a few inches shorter. It must have been the 52' turning circle that made it feel so damn long lol ;D

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 01:40:03 am by ktm525 »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2019, 10:08:51 am »
The V70R wasn't a great family car. Lack of legroom for the family had me dumping it early.
funny, when I rode in one it had plenty of room for everything, and then some - 4 adults and all the luggage

Family of 5. Two integrated boosters and one ze middle.  Yeah it could haul luggage but the rear seat room was awful,  Swedes must be tiny people?   The Passat wagon I had before had less cargo room and more rear seat room.

The LR3 I replaced it with was a revelation. A bigger back seat and more cargo room (due to the vertical) in a shorter footprint. Correction just looked and the V70 was a few inches shorter. It must have been the 52' turning circle that made it feel so damn long lol ;D
Yup, I can attest that the rear seat legroom of the V70 sucks as well. That's one of the main reasons I got rid of mine, kids were getting bigger & it was cramped back there. When I got the Wrangler to replace it I couldn't believe all the room there was in it. Crappy part about the Wrangler was the rear seat was quite upright & not adjustable... which I see they've corrected in the new model. The JGC is even better than the Wrangler & you can tilt the rear seats.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2019, 07:40:41 pm »

Yup, I can attest that the rear seat legroom of the V70 sucks as well. That's one of the main reasons I got rid of mine, kids were getting bigger & it was cramped back there. When I got the Wrangler to replace it I couldn't believe all the room there was in it. Crappy part about the Wrangler was the rear seat was quite upright & not adjustable... which I see they've corrected in the new model. The JGC is even better than the Wrangler & you can tilt the rear seats.

How has the JGC been? It is on the list as a possible Land Rover replacement. Do you have the pentastar or the hemi?

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2019, 08:19:01 pm »
he has the diesel

better than both!
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2019, 11:06:31 pm »

How has the JGC been? It is on the list as a possible Land Rover replacement. Do you have the pentastar or the hemi?
As Chaos has said, mine has the Ecodiesel, it's been trouble free for me so far. Overall I enjoy the ride, handling, luxury & size of it. It's a beast in the snow, the quadradrive system works very well. It also has the air suspension & that hasn't caused me any issues either. I test drove one with the 3.6 & I found that engine to be plenty enough power. The Hemi would probably really rock, but with my lead foot I'd be getting killed on fuel costs. I only got the diesel because I happened to find a smoking deal  on it.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 12:28:04 am »
Quadradrive is the full time awd system?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2019, 07:36:31 am »
Quadradrive is the full time awd system?
Yeah, it's actually the Quadra-Drive II that is standard with the diesel. Comes with an electronic limited slip rear end, 2.72:1 low range & then select terrain traction modes with Auto, Sand, Snow, Mud & Rock settings. Most of the time I keep it in Auto, but when I want wheelspin & to shut down the nannies a bit I put it in Sand mode.