Author Topic: Test Drive: 2019 GMC Canyon All Terrain  (Read 1457 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Test Drive: 2019 GMC Canyon All Terrain
« on: January 03, 2019, 08:14:51 am »
Work–life balance.
Read more...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
Re: Test Drive: 2019 GMC Canyon All Terrain
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 11:56:12 am »
Nice little rig, like this better than the new Ranger, that's for sure!!

I had the Duratracs on my Wrangler and found them to be a great 4 season tire, not too loud as mentioned in the article and decent enough on ice, absolute beast in the snow!
You live everyday. You only die once....

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 12:04:23 pm »
Nice little rig, like this better than the new Ranger, that's for sure!!

I had the Duratracs on my Wrangler and found them to be a great 4 season tire, not too loud as mentioned in the article and decent enough on ice, absolute beast in the snow!

Yes, I like this better than the Ranger.  If I were looking at midsize trucks, I would look at this and the Tacoma, and choose that which felt more comfortable and easier to live with on a daily basis. 

The review seems bang on with regards to fuel consumption.  My dad has a Colorado with the same 3.6 V6, and is reporting similar mileage throughout his truck's lifetime.

The only 'problem' with the engine is that (like Chrysler's Pentastar) it likes to be wound up to high RPM to make most of its power/torque, but the transmission shifts up as quickly as possible, and is reluctant to step down, all in the name of economy.  So that makes the truck feel a little sluggish.

I think the little diesel would be perfectly suited to this truck, but I'm not sure the extra cost at purchasing time is worth it.  Maybe if it has higher resale compared to the V6 then it would be worth it, but I don't think that engine has been out for long enough to be sure.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 12:17:24 am »
I like these but could never get past the cheap interior and lack of smart key...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 08:10:09 am »
A good friend of mine bought one of these last year and it ticks all the right boxes except for comfort.  Not sure about the drivers position but the seats are rock hard and the most uncomfortable i've sat on in a long time.  Also suffers from a relatively high floor, so you sit a little sprawled out if you have long legs.  Not as bad as the Taco in that regard but pretty close.  They are also expensive relative to a full size truck.  Think I'd wait for the Gladiator, or just go full size.   :-\

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 11:30:26 am »
I like the looks of this truck.

I'm just under 12L/100 kms on my Tacoma lifetime.  As someone who's shopped mid to full size trucks, there was always $5-$10,000 difference in like to like trims.  Sure enough if you go and price a 2019 Sierra AT4 with 0 options the MSRP with freight is $63,000.  When people say prices are similar that's not really comparing the same trims. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:33:29 am by aleksl »