Author Topic: The Best (and Worst) Cupholders  (Read 4501 times)

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
Re: The Best (and Worst) Cupholders
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2018, 01:14:20 pm »
No issues with the cup holders I have in the JGC, they work well for all different sizes and I also have the ones in the doors as well. The ones in the 323i suck, they come out of the dash... and the ones in the 951 are non-existent  :rofl2:

Yep, that generation 3-series had horrible pop-out cupholders....I had hot coffee on my lap more times than I care to think about.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2018, 01:48:18 pm »
I don't see the fuss and the point of wasted dash space.........

How often do Europeans go on 4+ hour road trips?  For me, that's a regular occurrence and having a cup of coffee/water to sip on is nice. 
Quite a lot. No, really.

Like I said, multiple bottles of water fit in the door bins. So you stay hydrated. A 1,5 L won't fit, but a 1 litre bottle will, and a couple smaller 50cl ones too, along with the obligatory high-vis jacket. I think that amount is sufficient to last one 2h or so, at which point you should stop at an aire / rest stop to take a break. There are plenty of coffee/expresso/cappuccino/latte vending machines there, and you can finish your beverage there before returning, refreshed, to continue on your journey.

Nothing I find more annoying than having to stop on a road trip....hammer down. Toronto to Montreal or Ottawa are non-stop trips provided Mrs.Firm isn't in the car and the vehicle has enough range. Cup holders are a must. Even when we took the T/A on a road trip to the US, it doesn't have cupholders and I eventually got sick enough of it that I stopped at an Autozone and bought one of those wedge style ones that go between the console and the seats to get us through the rest of the trip.

You would've laughed...The other week, on the way to Ottawa I had 3 of the 5 cupholders in the front of the Ram filled with drinks, and a bag of Doritos on the back seat (left home at 3am...caffeine and junkfood was necessary).
Shouldnt you stopping before Quebec so you fill the car with cheaper gas  ;D

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2018, 01:53:28 pm »
I have never used the cup holders in my cars. I always stop for coffee or drink it before I leave. So this is not an issue for me as I can leave without one. However I see and understand the need for good ones.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2018, 02:04:24 pm »
Shouldnt you stopping before Quebec so you fill the car with cheaper gas  ;D

Think it is exit 812 or 814 that is the last chance plus you can get some really good poutine or a perch roll at Bourdeau's Lancaster.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2018, 02:10:52 pm »
Nothing I find more annoying than having to stop on a road trip....hammer down. Toronto to Montreal or Ottawa are non-stop trips provided Mrs.Firm isn't in the car and the vehicle has enough range. Cup holders are a must. Even when we took the T/A on a road trip to the US, it doesn't have cupholders and I eventually got sick enough of it that I stopped at an Autozone and bought one of those wedge style ones that go between the console and the seats to get us through the rest of the trip.

You would've laughed...The other week, on the way to Ottawa I had 3 of the 5 cupholders in the front of the Ram filled with drinks, and a bag of Doritos on the back seat (left home at 3am...caffeine and junkfood was necessary).
Different strokes for different folks. I don't eat or drink in the car (except water), that's how my parents raised me.

On our drives, we usually were able to drive Brockville - Montréal in one go, and often on our Montréal - Québec drives we'd take a pause in the middle too. That said, when I used to drive to visit my parents, it was a 6h drive and I split that 2h - 4h just due to city placement (Virginia is a lot of nothing), so that was a rare occasion where I drove 4h+ nonstop. Usually my legs and bladder don't last longer than that.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2018, 02:34:15 pm »
There is something I find ironic...

I had a 1999 Corolla 5-speed, a mundane family car that mostly comes in automatics. Yet, the cupholder pops out from below the climate control and never interferes with shifting.

Now my RX-8 is he opposite: a RWD sports car where you are expected to have a manual transmission, and yet, if you put a cup in the front cupholder in the centre console, your elbow will definitely hit the cup. I always have to remember to use the rear one.

Even better, since the trans and exhaust are both directly below the centre console, the cupholders become unintentional cup warmers. Great in winter, but in summer, expect your Iced Capp to melt quickly.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2018, 06:22:22 pm »
My moms 95 Legacy had some shitty cupholders, held nothing securely and if the cup indeed runneth over, it went all over the stereo, HVAC controls and center stack

Oh, GAWD!  I remember that one in my 2000 Jetta.  Such a pain in the a$$.  In later years, it broke.  :shake:

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2018, 07:20:43 pm »
^ Yeah, the Subaru ones were bad in those days.  A friend of mine had his triple/triple coffee in there when it spilled all over the stereo of my 97 Outback.  That usually gets brought up for a laugh whenever we get together.   ;D

The cup holders in my Lexus are ok, but the removable centre piece tends to get pulled out of place sometimes.  We have glass water bottles that have a rubberized coating and they will pull the centre piece out with them every time.  The ones in my Z3m are virtually useless.  The ones in the truck are big, basic, and work great with every size.  You can pretty well drop things in and they'll straighten themselves out.  Put my large water bottle in the side pocket and thermos cup in the centre and good to go.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2018, 07:27:03 pm »
One of the cool things about the LS line was always the fluid precision of how the cup holders opened.  You hit the button and watch how it beautifully unfolded.  I looked for videos, but this was the only one I could find..from an LS400.

I should make a video for my LS430...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtS9dQLe_Qg

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...