Author Topic: Road Trip: Why I Bailed on Wood Buffalo National Park  (Read 920 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Road Trip: Why I Bailed on Wood Buffalo National Park
« on: September 20, 2018, 11:55:01 am »
...and why you shouldn't.
Read more...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: Road Trip: Why I Bailed on Wood Buffalo National Park
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 12:12:29 pm »
This article nailed it, your nervousness was well founded. A simple mechanical issue can become quite serious  in the middle of nowhere. Once you are out of cell service you are at the mercy of your fellow travelers and that can be a toss up of who appears next.

Mechanically one should ideally travel in a vehicle they can perform minor repairs on. When I am up north it is two full size spares, tire kit, inflator, tools tape and some extra fluids (oil, coolant etc). When your fancy van dies out in the middle of nowhere it may not be fun. Plus the bugs suck lol. September in a canoe, in a group is the best time to take in the far north.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 01:32:40 pm »
What, was Jacob not adventurous enough to go with you on this one?

The North is something that I'm starting to research for a trip in the next few years.  One can drive all the way up to Alaska without ever leaving a paved road, so it is something that could feasibly be done with a standard SUV pulling a pop-up trailer. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 01:35:21 pm »
I've been looking into overlanding more and more. Something with all season tires, no ground clearance and under body protection is diffidently not something I would take on a exploration of the north. Great article though and good call on not taking any chances with that mini van.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 02:34:55 pm »
What, was Jacob not adventurous enough to go with you on this one?

The North is something that I'm starting to research for a trip in the next few years.  One can drive all the way up to Alaska without ever leaving a paved road, so it is something that could feasibly be done with a standard SUV pulling a pop-up trailer.

That route is quite heavily traveled so infrastructure is better. The area the author traveled is a bit of a back water.

The trip up to Inuvik is quite straightforward even with a Chevy truck with 22"s lol. Walt Healy did it when he was over 80 with a motorcycle/sidecar.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 02:40:40 pm by ktm525 »