Author Topic: Trackday : Alès Pôle Mécanique with a R6  (Read 1128 times)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Trackday : Alès Pôle Mécanique with a R6
« on: August 17, 2018, 06:16:48 pm »
This is really one of the reasons I love France.

They're really passionate about motorcycles, especially in the south where the culture begins to merge with Italy and Espagne. So naturally it's not so hard to rent a track bike for a trackday  :pimp:

I did a trackday at Alès Pôle Mécanique Cévennes in the Gard (30) at the beginning of my August holiday, with the local club CMP30. They partner with a couple folks that rent out a Yamaha MT-07 and R6, so naturally I went with the R6.

It was a difficult set of circumstances. I had been sick and weakened the week before, and still had coughing fits keep me up most nights- I got 4h of rest the night before. Daytime air temps soared into the 30s by 10 am and peaked around 40° midday. A new, technical circuit. A new bike. And a new shift direction (set up standard; I'm accustomed to the inverse shift direction). And since it was a rental, I really didn't want to wreck or damage the R6.

Racers excuses aside, I forged ahead. It took me all 3 morning sessions before I got into a good rhythm and hit a good pace. Alès is quite technical : 2,5km length. Nestled in the Cévennes, a total elevation difference of 339m. A lot of late-apex, complex corners; including some blind crests. The straightaway is only 600m in length- good for 200 km/h on the R6 with my skill. + d'infos ici : http://www.pole-mecanique.fr/

I struggled most with the ride-by-wire of the earlier model R6. I have good control on the hands, but the throttle felt like an on-off switch, at worse throwing the balance off a couple times when I really got it wrong. I followed a few of the commissaires, and asked why they took certain lines. Turn 7, the slowest, off-camber corner rather centre inside....why ? Can I really get on the gas this early after T8 ? Should I/how much gas to give it after T1 ?

But by early afternoon, it started to click, and I was consistently in the zone again. Someone brought an inflatable pool (the french are brilliant), so I hopped into that partially, in between sessions to cool off. I pushed. Braked ever later (yay for 2 discs!), yet kept my focus despite the fatiguing heat. Muttered to myself (en français) en piste- "attends....attends....regards la sortie ok allez allez allez !!"

By 18h, I'd done all 7 sessions and gotten a full day on a big bike. It was a lot more work than a lightweight 300, and I really regretted getting sick. I didn't love the R6 (guess the Duc 959 is still the choice) but made good with it. On a roulé ensemble. I learned a lot, worked hard, but it's the kind of work I love.

I'm going to really need to spend more time on bigger bikes as a next step. Different animals, but I cannot stay in my little puddle with the R3 forever. I had a really great time though, made some new friends and had a great time in the paddock and at lunch. They're looking for a track director that speaks 3 languages and suggested I apply......not sure I'm the right background for that but it's appealing  ;) . Great time on and off track. I cannot ask for more in a great country, on a great track, with a great bike. I know they're not reading this, but thanks to all the folks there !

ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Online Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
Re: Trackday : Alès Pôle Mécanique with a R6
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 06:18:36 pm »
Wow! Very cool!