Author Topic: First Drive: 2019 Mazda CX-5  (Read 9105 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: First Drive: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2018, 02:56:53 pm »
I don't actually think using a touch screen via AA is fundamentally different than using the phone interface, but the law is the law.

^^Just touch screen anything like general settings, heat, etc. is probably more distracting particularly if one is new to it. However some of this is countered by lane assist and auto braking.  Mixed bag ... just like life.   

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2018, 03:19:10 pm »
Whoah - I had no idea I was still able to be fined for using my smartphone touch screen. I thought once it was mounted in the cradle, I was ok. I wonder if it's different here in BC? I will investigate.

Yeah, even if it's mounted you can't use it in Ontario.

Type of device
A cell phone with an earpiece, headset or Bluetooth device using voice-activated dialing.
Can I use it?
Yes - only to activate or deactivate a “hands-free” function, and only if the device is mounted or secured.
Actions like dialing or scrolling through contacts are not allowed.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/distracted-driving-faq.shtml

I guess the lesson here is that if you're pulled over say "I was just activating the hands-free function". Whatever that means.

Wow.  I didn't realize the new laws also came with a 3 day suspension.

For your first conviction:

a fine of up to $1,000
three demerit points
a three-day day driver’s licence suspension

Gotta figure the insurance companies will bend you over if you get one of these fines.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 03:22:47 pm by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2018, 03:46:22 pm »
Thanks for all the info. I looked up the BC version, it's pretty similar (relevant info on page 2), though the fine (page 6) is a lot less: $368, but 4 demerit points.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/driving-and-transportation/driving/publications/electronic-devices-while-driving.pdf

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2018, 03:54:33 pm »
I also have a CD slot phone mount and bluetooth aux in.  It's a great solution to add modern conveniences (music streaming and maps) to an older car.

But, the biggest reason I'd want Android Auto is that 95% of my music listening is done through Google Music.  Using the setup above, if I want to change the music I risk having a distracted driving fine, which in Ontario is going to be $1000 in the new year.  If I had Android Auto I wouldn't be risking a thousand dollars every time I skipped a track*.  AA would be a must if i was buying a new car.

*I don't actually think using a touch screen via AA is fundamentally different than using the phone interface, but the law is the law.

Whoah - I had no idea I was still able to be fined for using my smartphone touch screen. I thought once it was mounted in the cradle, I was ok. I wonder if it's different here in BC? I will investigate.

Nope, you cannot touch a smartphone in BC even if it's on a cradle. If it's a built in function in your car, you may interact with it. Not sure about Alberta.

I joked around that touchscreens/Carplay/Auto is legal distracted driving when I rented cars with them. Apple and Google did engineer the interface to be non distracting. Android does a better job in this regards with being even more feature limited, relying more on their excellent voice input.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2018, 04:01:49 pm »

Nope, you cannot touch a smartphone in BC even if it's on a cradle. If it's a built in function in your car, you may interact with it. Not sure about Alberta.

I joked around that touchscreens/Carplay/Auto is legal distracted driving when I rented cars with them. Apple and Google did engineer the interface to be non distracting. Android does a better job in this regards with being even more feature limited, relying more on their excellent voice input.

OK, thanks for this. I do try to use Google handsfree as much as i can, and Samsung speech-to-text works quite well, too.

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2018, 09:37:20 pm »
Well, I learned bugger all from that review. It was incredibly snowy we are told, so how did the revised AWD handle that? Then we are advised the six speed hunts. Since it certainly doesn't in the 6 turbo, why here? And that's about it for the review which appears to have been written in a bad temper.

Normally TTAC reviews suck, but their review of this CX-5 turbo is about 10 times more informative than this weak sauce copy. And they specifically mention the transmission doesn't hunt

Like Lebowski, I run an old LGT. I was prepared to put up with an FWD 6 turbo, because out of the multitude of general rubbish out there which I've driven, it seemed like the nicest to drive without paying German car prices. Now comes this turbo CX-5. The regular CX-5 my in-laws have I find numb, but I can clamber in out out without torturing my knees. Can I stomach crossover numbness to get AWD? This thing also costs more than a 6, but is only a jacked-up 3.

Then there's the comments. Off on a daisy picking tangent in the main. If I wanted to futz around with phones and internet all day long instead of drive, an Elantra would suffice. Why waste money on anything nicer? You'd never know the difference.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2018, 09:54:19 am »
I'm about 5' 10, with driver seat set for me I can comfortably sit behind myself with a decent amount of leg and foot room.
With 4 people on board, it's comfortable, 5 is tight which would be the case for anything else in this class.
I think the CR-V does have more cargo space though.

Seat comfort in the Mazda is much better than the CR-V for me, but i seem to always find Honda seats somewhat uncomfortable.

I have to agree with you there. I am 6'2" and I could sit behind myself comfortably in the CX-5. The fit and finish in the Mazda is also much nicer than in the CR-V which feels very hard-plasticky.

With that new turbo engine and features like cooled front seats and HUD (and now also CarPlay and Android thingy), this CX-5 is now a very strong contender in the segment.

Interesting.  We couldn't which is why we didn't buy one.

Same here.  I was able to barely sit behind myself, and the cargo room wasn't as spacious as I wanted it to be.  Otherwise, I would be driving a blue CX-5 instead of my Forester.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12398
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2018, 09:31:41 am »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-335
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2018, 01:47:52 pm »
Car & Driver just instrument tested the CX-5 2.4t and it went 0-60 mph in a quick 6.2s.  It is faster than a RDX 2.0T and QX50 2.0T all while costing less.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12398
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2018, 10:16:33 pm »
Car & Driver just instrument tested the CX-5 2.4t and it went 0-60 mph in a quick 6.2s.  It is faster than a RDX 2.0T and QX50 2.0T all while costing less.

Only with premium.

But Nooorm, it doesn’t have the vectoring of the torque?

Or tri zone climate controls. Probably doesn't appreciate in value, either.