Author Topic: Head to Head: 2019 Hyundai Elantra GT N Line vs 2019 Volkswagen Golf GTI Rabbit  (Read 1909 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Good comparison.  I checked out the N-Line Elantra in the showroom at my last servicing and thought it was a pretty sharp looking package.  I've also seen a few of the road, and they look pretty good in a conservative Brooks Brothers kind of way.  I'd say it more than held its own against the $6k more expensive segment benchmark - and a bigger gap yet if you drop down one trim level and stick with the stick.  I might get the GTI just for that Tartan cloth, though.  ;D
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
Love that GTI!!! That would be the one I'd be putting in my driveway. I prefer the interior of the GTI, it just seems more cohesive and put together. Not knocking the Elantra here either, it's a great offering, I'd just choose the GTI over it  ;D
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
I'd get the Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary Edition.  ;D

The downside for the Elantra for me was having to give up equipment if I wanted the manual. That won't apply to most people.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
I'd get the Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary Edition.  ;D

The downside for the Elantra for me was having to give up equipment if I wanted the manual. That won't apply to most people.

It's a downside for me as well. That and the fact that they don't lease well at all.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
... The Elantra does get the deeper trunk.....

Unless VW nuked this feature in the current GTIs and I didn't notice, the cargo floor in the GTI is adjustable and can be lowered by about 3 inch (making it noticeably deeper). The picture in the article shows the cargo floor in the raised position.

Another notable thing about the latest GTIs (not mentioned in the article) is that VW decided to make  standard on all GTIs what used to be a $3000 stand-alone Performance Package  back in 2015-2016 (locking front diff, bigger breaks, suspension tweaks, dynamic chassis control, etc). Consequently the prices went up across the board considerably plus they removed other features that used to be standard on certain trims (e.g. BLIS w/cross traffic alert, Auto High Beam on Autobahn) and cheapened out on some interior trim pieces. The only upgrade, now standard across the trims, is the 8" display which used to be part of the Tech Package back in 2016.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 08:39:02 am by carcrazy »

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
I'd gladly pay the premium in price to get the VW.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
my very first car was a 1978 VW Rabbit...i'd likely get the GTI Rabbit just to come full circle (but still think the Elantra-N is a very good car).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
If I were to ever move back across the pond, I'd have the Hyundai because it doesn't remind me of work :P

That said, objectively, the Golf is the better car. Classic lines, functional interior, more settled driving reflexes.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]