Author Topic: Wheels.ca 7 worst cars  (Read 6058 times)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Wheels.ca 7 worst cars
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2017, 09:04:23 pm »
Nothing wrong with some Italian cars, hey...

But the 500L, yeah, no excuse. Not even cute to make up for any "character" moments you may encounter  :rofl2:

When I drove one, I thought it felt like a PT Cruiser. Miles away from the 500 Abarth I drove before that.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2017, 09:22:51 pm »
Speaking of one of the worst, was the Ford Five Hundred that bad of a car for non-enthusiasts?
I ask this because my dad, with his limited budget, replaced my mom's 2001 Grand Caravan with a 2005 Ford Five Hundred for $2500. I suggested CR-Vs since my mom preferred higher driving position but wanted something more smaller. Then she somehow was okay with the Five Hundred and gave my dad a go-ahead.
It's too late now, so I just hope it will last a few years without any big issues.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2017, 10:34:38 pm »
CVTs were an issue. A friend had a freestyle and the CVT eventually died.  He towed with it though. 
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2017, 10:42:17 pm »
Speaking of one of the worst, was the Ford Five Hundred that bad of a car for non-enthusiasts?
I ask this because my dad, with his limited budget, replaced my mom's 2001 Grand Caravan with a 2005 Ford Five Hundred for $2500. I suggested CR-Vs since my mom preferred higher driving position but wanted something more smaller. Then she somehow was okay with the Five Hundred and gave my dad a go-ahead.
It's too late now, so I just hope it will last a few years without any big issues.

It will....if it isn't a CVT.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2017, 12:08:55 am »

It seems to have the CVT according to the autotrader listing. Fingers crossed... [emoji33]

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2017, 04:31:26 am »
Well, I'm not sure I'd agree that they are the 7 worst but I would put them all firmly in the "avoid" column
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2017, 05:45:00 pm »

But the 500L, yeah, no excuse. Not even cute to make up for any "character" moments you may encounter  :rofl2:

When I drove one, I thought it felt like a PT Cruiser. Miles away from the 500 Abarth I drove before that.

i can hardly keep the 500l's on my used lot... just delivered another actually. it seems to be VERY similar to the pt cruiser for a lot of people... and amazingly, we still get lots of people coming in for a pt. when they realize they can't get a relatively new one, that is what i switch them to...

while i wouldn't get one, i can understand the draw... the oldies love em. all glass so great viability, sits off the ground without sitting too high, flat seating to slide in and out, lots of room for their walkers in the back...

i hated the stereo most of all... just crap
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2017, 08:40:27 pm »

It seems to have the CVT according to the autotrader listing. Fingers crossed... [emoji33]

If it is AWD it has a CVT. If FWD it has a regular auto trans. And the reason your mom liked it was probably because it is practically SUV height. I believe the Five Hundred was 6 inches taller than the same year Taurus.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Toyota Corolla S, 2013 Honda Civic EX, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Chrysler Sebring, 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2009 MINI Cooper, 2016 VW Golf TSI Sportwagen
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 11:44:06 am »

i can hardly keep the 500l's on my used lot... just delivered another actually. it seems to be VERY similar to the pt cruiser for a lot of people... and amazingly, we still get lots of people coming in for a pt. when they realize they can't get a relatively new one, that is what i switch them to...

while i wouldn't get one, i can understand the draw... the oldies love em. all glass so great viability, sits off the ground without sitting too high, flat seating to slide in and out, lots of room for their walkers in the back...

I liked the 2015- Chrysler 200 too.  Attractive styling, big trunk, comfortable, good on gas but my only stipulation would be...Pentastar!  The Dart, I wasn't so keen on.  The exterior styling I quite liked but I looked at one as a replacement for my 2004 Sebring V6 (great car by the way) and I actually preferred the interior of my car!

Out of interest, what do you think of the regular Fiat 500 hatch?  My wife had one for 3.5 years from new.  It was reliable, seemed fairly well built, had a good safety rating, great on gas and apart from the choppy ride, I liked it. :)

Still, I drive a MINI Cooper, so maybe I have a rather eclectic taste in cars. :)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 12:11:49 pm »
My father actually bought a Fiat 500L last year. I didn't know what to say.

You didn't visit often enough  ;)  Now there will be a reason.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2017, 01:38:21 pm »
Out of interest, what do you think of the regular Fiat 500 hatch? 
We had a member on here who couldn't get rid of his fast enough.  With an n=1, I wouldn't exactly call that a big sample size though.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2017, 09:40:43 am »

I liked the 2015- Chrysler 200 too.  Attractive styling, big trunk, comfortable, good on gas but my only stipulation would be...Pentastar!  The Dart, I wasn't so keen on.  The exterior styling I quite liked but I looked at one as a replacement for my 2004 Sebring V6 (great car by the way) and I actually preferred the interior of my car!

Out of interest, what do you think of the regular Fiat 500 hatch?  My wife had one for 3.5 years from new.  It was reliable, seemed fairly well built, had a good safety rating, great on gas and apart from the choppy ride, I liked it. :)

Still, I drive a MINI Cooper, so maybe I have a rather eclectic taste in cars. :)

well.. my opinion on the hatch isn't great. but again, it is a fashion over function thing unless you go abarth.

they tend to get buyers who still love it despite their flaws though.

all cars have their reason for existence/purchasing... whether it's price, style, performance, reliability, comfort, safety, capability, retained value, fuel economy... so many reasons... the trick is that there isn't anything good at all of them. you need the cheapest car? won't be many of the other things. you need the most space? won't be best fuel or performance for sure... goes on and on.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2017, 08:13:02 pm »
The worst five cars I've driven in the last five years...

1. Mitsubishi Mirage
2. Mitsubishi Mirage
3. Mitsubishi Mirage
4. Mitsubishi Mirage
5. Mitsubishi Mirage
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 08:15:02 pm by johngenx »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2017, 10:31:04 am »
The worst five cars I've driven in the last five years...

1. Mitsubishi Mirage
2. Mitsubishi Mirage
3. Mitsubishi Mirage
4. Mitsubishi Mirage
5. Mitsubishi Mirage

that is not a car, it is a penalty box

to quote James May: "The only reason you would buy this car is because you haven't tried any others." Perfectly encapsulates this car.