Author Topic: AJAC Ends Canadian Car of the Year Fees, Opens Eligibility  (Read 2242 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
More cars, more scores for CCOTY
Read more...

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
Re: AJAC Ends Canadian Car of the Year Fees, Opens Eligibility
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 01:27:08 pm »
Calling rrocket et al - I know you guys had a lot of complaints about AJAC TestFest - reckon you'll find most (if not all) of them are now dealt with....  :D

#thisisbetter

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 01:49:23 pm »
What?  Well, what are we gonna :censor: about now??

This makes a lot more sense.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 01:53:07 pm »
This is a very positive change...will it stop the bitchin', I doubt it.  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 01:59:40 pm »
...the previous category winner will be eligible as well..

Does this mean we can expect to see the Elantra Sport back in the Sports/Performance category?   ;D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 02:00:32 pm »
Starting with 2019, eligible entries will be limited to “new and significantly redesigned models,” but the previous category winner will be eligible as well.

I think this is the biggest positive to come out of these changes... how does the new young buck stack up to the old one  ;D
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Robin2

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Subaru WRX, 2011 Subaru WRX sedan, 1999 Subaru Impreza RS, 1992 Mazda 323
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 07:37:42 pm »
Hyundai elantra will win the best sports car for next 10 years!!!!

:)

:) :) :) :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 08:25:33 pm »
Calling rrocket et al - I know you guys had a lot of complaints about AJAC TestFest - reckon you'll find most (if not all) of them are now dealt with....  :D

#thisisbetter

Well it's nice that they recognized the "pay to play" scam and are no longer going to do it.  So much better in that regard!  Much needed IMO.  And it also improves AJACs and their writers integrity.  So kudos for that.

Any idea how the scoring is done?  For example, how and when are the scores sent in?  If you test a car in January, do you send the score card in when the car goes back to manufacturer?  Do you send it in at the end of the year?

Also, if you have a car for say, 6 months, you might learn to "live" with some of the idiosyncrasies and you might offer softer scoring of those faults as a result.  Whereas if you just have the car for a week, you might score harsher?

And this may or may not be an issue:  If you have an Accord in January but then don't drive a competitor until December you might forget about the Accord that was tested way back when...unless you took impeccable notes.  Or is that going to be the reason to have the test fest...so everything is fresh in mind and there's more of a back-to back comparision.  OR...are the cars going to be tested strictly on their own merit and no versus anything else in class?

Either way...looks like a big improvement...and will make the award more relevant.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 08:27:51 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 08:40:11 pm »
The cars have always been independently tested, you were never suppose to compare them, the score card does that.

Hopefully the score cards are available to fill out immediately upon return of the car -- personally I can't even remember what I drove 2 weeks ago, let alone 5 months ago.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 08:45:30 pm »
The cars have always been independently tested, you were never suppose to compare them, the score card does that.

Hopefully the score cards are available to fill out immediately upon return of the car -- personally I can't even remember what I drove 2 weeks ago, let alone 5 months ago.

That was my assumption.  Just wanted to be sure.

Yes, not remembering would be a concerns for you guys since you test so many cars in a given year.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 09:27:48 pm »
My understanding is the plan is for scoring to be done within a week of driving the car, and for it to be reopened again during testfest, so if you need to compare it more closely to something you can.

Ultimately, we're professionals, and we do take notes, write reviews, and score as honestly as we can. The sheer number of us means a clear trend will become apparent. Not having weird fudged categories with a wank value algorithm will help a lot with the results being better too.

People who do comparison tests like ours will have an advantage in giving "clean" scores. Which is good.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 09:32:05 pm »
My understanding is the plan is for scoring to be done within a week of driving the car, and for it to be reopened again during testfest, so if you need to compare it more closely to something you can.

Ultimately, we're professionals, and we do take notes, write reviews, and score as honestly as we can. The sheer number of us means a clear trend will become apparent. Not having weird fudged categories with a wank value algorithm will help a lot with the results being better too.

People who do comparison tests like ours will have an advantage in giving "clean" scores. Which is good.

This issue was never with the journos per se IMO.  It was with AJAC itself and their "rules".

Offline ElectricMayhem

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +10/-69
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 07:32:32 am »
This issue was never with the journos per se IMO.  It was with AJAC itself and their "rules".

Actually, there are very fundamental issues with car journalism as it is currently practiced.  You have noticed that car companies invite journalists to resorts in California, Spain and the like when they release cars?  Yeah, you don't get invited back if afterward you write a lot of stuff the manufacturer doesn't like.

There is no other branch of journalism where journalists accept these kinds of perks.

I think Consumer Reports does it right.  They either outright buy the cars under review, or they rent them.  You don't see them accepting the graft, at least not obviously.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 08:42:10 am »
There is no other branch of journalism where journalists accept these kinds of perks.
:censor:, shut up!! (Said like Ali Wong). Don't ruin our secret!!!  (Says the guy who has never been invited to any elaborate events)

Ultimately, we're professionals, and we do take notes, write reviews, and score as honestly as we can.
:iagree:  yup. All of us.  ;D

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 08:56:25 am »
The fancy locations aren't really a big seller when you realize all the travel for 1 hour in the car.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 09:33:01 am »
The fancy locations aren't really a big seller when you realize all the travel for 1 hour in the car.
So you not did like you trip to Spain  ???  ;D