Author Topic: Another bloody miata  (Read 8505 times)

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
Re: Another bloody miata
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2018, 08:48:29 pm »
Got around to installing a Rostra universal cruise control on the mazdaspeed .  http://www.rostra.com/universal-aftermarket-cruise-control-by-rostra.php
The cars were sold in 2004 and 2005 and did not come with a factory cruise control. It had something to do with vacuum and turbos. At that time mazda still used  a vacuum activated cruise in their cars. The Rostra unit overcomes this problem as it is electronic. It even activates the cruise light on the instrument cluster that all 2nd generation miata's had from the factory. I am very pleased how it operates, as I will be doing longer highway drives with this car.

Going to investigate for my NA - long drives are getting brutal without cruise.

With your car you could still find factory parts from a wrecked car. The Rostra unit would work as well. Just need to find the tach signal in the instrument cluster wiring. The manual indicates the wire colours. You could also get a factory stalk and switch and adapt it to the Rostra. This link is for an NB but could be adapted to an NA as they are similar. https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=622817
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2018, 09:00:52 pm »
Finding pricing info is insane!  Can ask what you paid?

I paid about 300 Canadian through Ebay.  https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l2632.R3.TR12.TRC2.A0.H1.Xrostra.TRS0&_nkw=rostra+250-1223&_sacat=6028

Read up about it on miata.net first and then decide which parts you want. I ordered mine with the universal stalk so it was a bit more.
The Rostra site shows the different parts as it is a universal setup fitting many cars even vintage.

I found the price not that bad as I got a quote at  a stereo shop for 700 dollars.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2018, 09:05:28 pm »
Got around to installing a Rostra universal cruise control on the mazdaspeed .  http://www.rostra.com/universal-aftermarket-cruise-control-by-rostra.php
The cars were sold in 2004 and 2005 and did not come with a factory cruise control. It had something to do with vacuum and turbos. At that time mazda still used  a vacuum activated cruise in their cars. The Rostra unit overcomes this problem as it is electronic. It even activates the cruise light on the instrument cluster that all 2nd generation miata's had from the factory. I am very pleased how it operates, as I will be doing longer highway drives with this car.

Yes, cc is definitely a must have feature for long highway drives.  Cool that it activates the dash light too.  :thumbup:

I've been driving a van out of the spare pool while my truck gets a new engine installed and it has no cruise.  It really sucks not having it on the long drives I do every day.

I know where you are coming from. With this car my speed seems to be creeping up a bit.  :popo:

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2018, 08:12:45 am »
Did you DIY the cruise?  I'm tempted to get it for the Sonic and it appears it's pretty much plug'n'play.  Of course my oldest kid thinks his younger brother should suffer driving it to the city and back with no cruise, just like he did.  ::)

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2018, 01:00:07 pm »
Did you DIY the cruise?  I'm tempted to get it for the Sonic and it appears it's pretty much plug'n'play.  Of course my oldest kid thinks his younger brother should suffer driving it to the city and back with no cruise, just like he did.  ::)

Yeah I did the install.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2018, 02:58:24 pm »

Yeah I did the install.

Piece of cake for you I'm sure.  ;)

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2018, 04:06:52 pm »

Yeah I did the install.

Piece of cake for you I'm sure.  ;)

Just a bunch of wires. :-\