Author Topic: I know it's hard to be excited by a hybrid...but...  (Read 10386 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: I know it's hard to be excited by a hybrid...but...
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 12:29:38 pm »

QUAD4HO 190HP 2.3L engine with 7400RPM redline.  Those were the days, the car sounded amazing, and the driving experience was thrilling on winding roads when the car was in second gear above 4800 RPM when the second set of cam lobes opened up fully.

Tell me, how does this work?

Cam lobes flower....like a beautiful lily flower dontcha know  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +315/-525
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 02:00:53 am »
  My feeling is that the noise, vibration and abruptness of shifting a transmission gets in the way of my enjoyment of driving,

None of those have ever been apparent in any Lexus I've had.

But I guess your benchmark was a Beretta.   ;D

All things considered, my last 3 vehicles were >>300 HP, so I do know what I'm talking about.   8)

My wife's Mercedes GLK with AMG handling package had the massive Pzero's and handled quite well for a truck body on a 300 series chassis.  The problem was the gas engine and multi-gear transmission, noise, shifting, harshness!

The Tesla just hauls from any speed, plant the throttle and no drama, smooth, and stops just as well as it accelerates.  I can't explain it, and do honestly encourage people to at least test drive to see what I'm going on about...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 07:40:24 am »
The Tesla just hauls from any speed, plant the throttle and no drama, smooth, and stops just as well as it accelerates.  I can't explain it, and do honestly encourage people to at least test drive to see what I'm going on about...

And on and on and on and on....

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 12:07:50 am »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2016, 11:50:47 am »

QUAD4HO 190HP 2.3L engine with 7400RPM redline.  Those were the days, the car sounded amazing, and the driving experience was thrilling on winding roads when the car was in second gear above 4800 RPM when the second set of cam lobes opened up fully.

I'm curious about the Camaro unlimited speed package.  ;D
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: I know it's hard to be excited by a hybrid...but... LC500h
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2016, 05:50:59 pm »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ZI1UejQ5Y

It's friggin gorgeous in black.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2016, 06:02:07 pm »
^^Yep!  Looks good in that color.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 05:04:53 pm »
I'm curious about the Camaro unlimited speed package.  ;D

In 1996, the standard Z28 performance package on the Camaro had >300 HP and the standard tires rated to speeds under 200 km/h, whereby Chevy artificially limited the engine electronics to throttle fuel input to cap top speed.  It was a harsh limit, where the fuel was stopped and the engine power dropped dramatically for a few seconds and then would then cap throttle more smoothly afterwards.   You'd have to purchase an after market ECU remap to unlock higher speeds.

The specific package I purchased came with the higher speed rated tires (245-50ZR-16) offered on any Chevy at that time, and the top speed was limited only by engine RPM in 5th gear, as 6th gear was so high that the wind resistance would prevent getting anything like the top speed in 5th unless you had a good tail wind.

I waited one month for the specific optioned car to be shipped (dealer swap) from another dealer in Ontario to my local dealer.   In fact, I ordered the car with every single performance option offered minus the police package not available to retail customers unfortunately.

The theoretical top speed of 258 km/h was certainly in range, but not in a head wind, then you'd be around 248 km/h.
The 1/4 mile time quoted was 14.2, and it ran pretty close to that in good conditions.   
In perfect conditions, the Z28 was traction limited in first and slipped (chirped and spun) in the 1-2 shift.

Meanwhile my Tesla S is quicker to 100 km/h by at least a 1/2 second over that Z28 and better 1/4 mile too. 
Coincidentally the Tesla also has 245 high speed rated tires, and top speed north of 230 km/h.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 05:11:11 pm »
your automotive zenith includes the Chevy Baretta?

The Beretta GTZ was the highest specific output for a normally asperated engine in 1990-1993 and ran close (1/2 second) to the V8 Mustang GT in 1/4 mile, and launched way harder than the Mustang due to the gear ratios in 1st and 2nd with a 7400 RPM red line:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkAZoDeiqHY

I was young at the time, and it was my first nice car. 
At $30K new, I needed a good job (which I had) to pay for it in my early 20's.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2017, 05:17:49 pm »
above 4800 RPM when the second set of cam lobes opened up fully

Yawn, well here's an article that discusses the topic of how cam lobes of dual overhead cam engines have different opening profiles so that higher engine operating RPM can be achieved:
http://paultan.org/2005/06/22/sohc-vs-dohc-valvetrains/

The Chevy QUAD4 engine in the early 1990's had higher power per displacement than the Ferrari of the same era. 
While the new Mustang flat plane crank gets applauds (me included) for high RPM capability, the QUAD4 HO engine in the 1990's was a 7400 RPM screamer, one of the extremely rare engines of that vintage to operate in that RPM range.

It was the same engine in the Indy pacecar :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_4_engine

Cheers

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2017, 05:43:00 pm »

Yawn, well here's an article that discusses the topic of how cam lobes of dual overhead cam engines have different opening profiles so that higher engine operating RPM can be achieved:
http://paultan.org/2005/06/22/sohc-vs-dohc-valvetrains/

Are you feeling tired?  Sleepy?  You must be because you didn't answer the question about how your Beretta engine seemed to have variable valve lift, you just added a link to something else.
Mr Pickypants

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2017, 12:31:25 am »
you didn't answer the question about how your Beretta engine seemed to have variable valve lift, you just added a link to something else.

I never said variable valve lift.  The DOHC QUAD4 engine had timing designed to open air input/exhaust at much higher RPM as the article I linked outlined.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2017, 06:23:55 am »
Alternative facts.

It's all fake news reported by the corrupt media.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2017, 01:19:01 pm »
you didn't answer the question about how your Beretta engine seemed to have variable valve lift, you just added a link to something else.

I never said variable valve lift.  The DOHC QUAD4 engine had timing designed to open air input/exhaust at much higher RPM as the article I linked outlined.

Oh, so it has a version of VTEC then.   How do the valves only fully open at high RPM? 

BTW, the Beretta never got the W41 Quad4, so did you swap in the 190hp one from an Olds?

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2017, 09:11:25 pm »
How do the valves only fully open at high RPM? 

There are two overhead camshafts with different profiles, the profile of the second shaft led to the behavior described, namely that the car felt like it had a turbo that engaged at 4500 RPM, the engine ran out of steam around 7100 RPM.

BTW, the Beretta never got the W41 Quad4, so did you swap in the 190hp one from an Olds?

Thanks for asking, YES, I did get the highest output QUAD4 in my GTZ, but it wasn't the original engine.

I blew the first engine at 110,000 km after taking it to red-line pretty much a dozen shifts on the way to work ever day for years.  That original engine had been modified multiple times, replacing the timing chain routinely after every 20,000 km as that was a weak point on the engine.   The transmission was overhauled multiple times, the clutch was replaced twice, etc.   The same engine shop that I did the mods, put in a rebuilt HO crate engine with more aggressive programming to get that last few HP out of it.  I spent $15K on performance parts and such for the GTZ over the years, it was a "project car" in my youth, lots of fun, not very practical.   I drove that till 130,000 km and traded it in for my 1996 Z28 which I leased, so never spent any money tuning it as that would void the lease agreement...oh well.

Cheers