Author Topic: Test Drive: 2017 Nissan Armada Platinum  (Read 599 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Test Drive: 2017 Nissan Armada Platinum
« on: March 01, 2017, 06:47:20 am »
Go big or go home
Read more...

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
Re: Test Drive: 2017 Nissan Armada Platinum
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 11:36:45 am »
It seems most of the reviews for the new Armada are lukewarm at best.  Maybe the vehicle is a bit of a letdown because we've all heard so much about the previous Patrol, and now that we finally get a (downgraded) version of it, it's not all that great?  Or maybe still skeptical after the lacklustre history of the previous Armada? 

Or maybe Nissan simply isn't sweating the details of its large trucks / SUVs?  Both the Armada and new Titan (and especially the XD version) are overweight, even by the standards of the behemoth class. 

Or perhaps it is simply that the pricing is far too ambitious.  When the vehicle starts at 65K - that's some pretty fierce competition. 

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 11:42:13 am »
It seems most of the reviews for the new Armada are lukewarm at best.  Maybe the vehicle is a bit of a letdown because we've all heard so much about the previous Patrol, and now that we finally get a (downgraded) version of it, it's not all that great?  Or maybe still skeptical after the lacklustre history of the previous Armada? 

Or maybe Nissan simply isn't sweating the details of its large trucks / SUVs?  Both the Armada and new Titan (and especially the XD version) are overweight, even by the standards of the behemoth class. 

Or perhaps it is simply that the pricing is far too ambitious.  When the vehicle starts at 65K - that's some pretty fierce competition.

I don't think Nissan sells enough of these giant behemoths to warrant them doing a ton of R&D in the first place.  Compared to the numbers of large SUV's that GM sells, the Armada lags seriously behind. 

To top it off, I've noticed most affluent families with more than 2 kids will have a loaded pickup truck, and a fancy minivan like an Odyssey or Sienna for family duty.  This kind of negates the need for large 3 row SUV's that can tow.  Those that really need something that tows and carries 4 kids will have something like a Surburban or a Tahoe.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 11:44:59 am »
I find it interesting that the Armada and QX80 are practically the same shape but they managed to make the Armada look like a cheaper sibling but with a tougher look.

The interior practically looks the same so I'm not sure if there are any material differences. My brother in law's FX45 dashboard is delaminating so I'd be more tempted to opt for a plastic dashboard