Author Topic: 2017 Fusion lack of information  (Read 4396 times)

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-2
    • View Profile
2017 Fusion lack of information
« on: March 29, 2016, 06:53:30 pm »
I’ll confess that the inner workings of the auto industry are a mystery to me and I’ve never really had much of a reason to ponder some things.  I do have a reason now though and I’m left with a couple of questions that someone here might be able to answer.

I’m planning to buy a new car late summer this year and I’ve already come to a decision on what it will be: a 2017 Fusion Sport.  The Job 1 date is April 4, just six days away as I write this, and apart from the same preview page that Ford Canada put up when the 2017 Fusion was revealed at the North American International Auto Show back in January there has been nothing from Ford.  I signed up for updates back then and have never received anything.

So is this usual industry practice to have such little information available on a new model when it is less than a week away from production?  Theoretically I should be able to walk into a dealership next week and order any Fusion other than the Sport for delivery in May or June.  Maybe that will be possible but why wouldn’t Ford Canada have put up 2017 Fusion page with trim and equipment information and even a build-and-price feature?  Ford USA has had a build-and-price page up for several weeks but the interface they use is far less user-friendly than the one used by Ford Canada.  I’m also guessing that there will be subtle differences between trim lines here and there.

Any idea why Ford is so silent on the new Fusion?  I realize that it isn't exactly a halo car like an ST or the GT350 but as a bread-and-butter car for them I figured they’d be promoting it more.

On a related note, isn't it odd that Ford hasn’t put cars into journalist’s hands yet?  I recall reading one site which said they had been trying to get a 2017 Fusion for a test for a while but had no success.

(I should add that I’m aware that there is a seven week delay Sport models coming down the line.  Maybe Ford engineers are still working out how they will fit the 2.7L V6 under the hood…)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: 2017 Fusion lack of information
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 07:02:08 pm »
I’ll confess that the inner workings of the auto industry are a mystery to me and I’ve never really had much of a reason to ponder some things.  I do have a reason now though and I’m left with a couple of questions that someone here might be able to answer.

I’m planning to buy a new car late summer this year and I’ve already come to a decision on what it will be: a 2017 Fusion Sport.  The Job 1 date is April 4, just six days away as I write this, and apart from the same preview page that Ford Canada put up when the 2017 Fusion was revealed at the North American International Auto Show back in January there has been nothing from Ford.  I signed up for updates back then and have never received anything.

So is this usual industry practice to have such little information available on a new model when it is less than a week away from production?  Theoretically I should be able to walk into a dealership next week and order any Fusion other than the Sport for delivery in May or June.  Maybe that will be possible but why wouldn’t Ford Canada have put up 2017 Fusion page with trim and equipment information and even a build-and-price feature?  Ford USA has had a build-and-price page up for several weeks but the interface they use is far less user-friendly than the one used by Ford Canada.  I’m also guessing that there will be subtle differences between trim lines here and there.

Any idea why Ford is so silent on the new Fusion?  I realize that it isn't exactly a halo car like an ST or the GT350 but as a bread-and-butter car for them I figured they’d be promoting it more.

On a related note, isn't it odd that Ford hasn’t put cars into journalist’s hands yet?  I recall reading one site which said they had been trying to get a 2017 Fusion for a test for a while but had no success.

(I should add that I’m aware that there is a seven week delay Sport models coming down the line.  Maybe Ford engineers are still working out how they will fit the 2.7L V6 under the hood…)

Cuz it's Ford and it's not a truck.  ;D

Congrats btw!  :cheers:  That will be a nice car!  Looking forward to the show and shine.

Fwiw, our 2010 Fusion awd has been flawless so far at ~ 153k and it's loaded other than nav.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 07:03:41 pm »
I am sure there is still a bunch of unsold inventory on Ford lots, so the motive is probably to first entice customers with financing specials on remaining vehicles before drawing their attention to 2017.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 09:52:54 pm »
The Job 1 date is April 4, just six days away as I write this, and apart from the same preview page that Ford Canada put up when the 2017 Fusion was revealed at the North American International Auto Show back in January there has been nothing from Ford.  I signed up for updates back then and have never received anything.

So is this usual industry practice to have such little information available on a new model when it is less than a week away from production? 

3 or 4 months is more likely.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 08:35:34 am »
I feel your pain, however isn't this "fairly normal" for many Canadian auto web sites. Sleepy, will getaroundtuit....

Seriously though, if the Sport won't arrive in the US until the fall, and ends up with some demand at that time, what do you think the first delivery times in Canada will be. I suggest you contact Ford Canada which is probably a waste of time right now, but its just your time. Also perhaps develop a contact(s) at a Ford dealer(s).

The reason is that maybe the sign up for updates won't work, or provide much of anything useful when it does. I signed up for Jaguar XE updates sometime way back last year and have got nothing. And Dealers often get details some time before they appear in public web sites.   

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 09:58:43 am »
dealerships get info slower than auto web sites. so they won't be a lot of help unless you find one that does their homework... i read blogs, review sites, forums, etc. to try and learn as much as i can as early as i can. does it make me any extra money?... meh.. not much.

car buying is something that they want to be an impulse... the longer you have to shop and ask questions, the more people get confused and eventually have buyers remorse of that one other option that they were considering..

anyway, for the future cars, info is always tough to come by. as mentioned, ford wants you to buy a '16... dealers want you to buy something today... reviewers can only get cars that are built and ready, though there will be some pre-production ones out soon i'm sure.

just keep checking on-line
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 06:02:44 pm »
Thanks for these answers, folks.  I’ve tried cultivating a relationship with the local Ford dealer.  I figured that the fact we bought a 2014 Escape would at least give me some credibility but I guess not.  I don’t know if all dealers are like this, but emails to two area dealers went unanswered and the one dealer who did answer (I emailed the sales manager) didn’t reply to a second email with follow-up questions.  And I’m not talking about having asked stupid questions either.  Or at least I hope they weren’t.  I think my follow up questions could be summarized by ‘when can I stop by and give you a bunch of money?’  Selling a car requires a willing buyer but I’m learning that finding a willing SELLER is harder than I thought.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 06:14:59 pm »
Thanks for these answers, folks.  I’ve tried cultivating a relationship with the local Ford dealer.  I figured that the fact we bought a 2014 Escape would at least give me some credibility but I guess not.  I don’t know if all dealers are like this, but emails to two area dealers went unanswered and the one dealer who did answer (I emailed the sales manager) didn’t reply to a second email with follow-up questions.  And I’m not talking about having asked stupid questions either.  Or at least I hope they weren’t.  I think my follow up questions could be summarized by ‘when can I stop by and give you a bunch of money?’  Selling a car requires a willing buyer but I’m learning that finding a willing SELLER is harder than I thought.

So I guess we can assume its some other Ford product and not a 2017 Fusion Sport (that doesn't exist yet) you are trying to talk to them about with these questions.  ???

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 06:45:24 pm »

Once the details are out I can put you in touch with someone in Fredericton, if you're interested. I'm not sure he can reply to questions that don't have answers yet, however :stick:

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 11:56:55 pm »
Had a quick chat with the sales manager from my local dealer, he said to expect Fusion Sport in August. Normal Fusions and Platinum will go on sale in late May early June.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 04:54:35 pm »
don't forget that managers are there to manage, not sell... plus they are usually the only people in the sales department who DON'T have to do product knowledge and training events.

you are better to talk to a lowly sales person... might take a few to get one you get along with and is willing, but probably worth it. they are the front line that get asked the questions like the ones you have, so some might have actually looked it up so they don't look too daft.

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 06:43:14 pm »

Once the details are out I can put you in touch with someone in Fredericton, if you're interested. I'm not sure he can reply to questions that don't have answers yet, however :stick:

I'd be interested in that.  I emailed Riverview Ford a couple of weeks ago (they only have one email address regardless of who you're looking for) and I've never heard from them.  This after a glowing recommendation from a long-term customer of theirs. 

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 06:45:15 pm »
Had a quick chat with the sales manager from my local dealer, he said to expect Fusion Sport in August. Normal Fusions and Platinum will go on sale in late May early June.

That's helpful.  Thanks.  I didn't anticipate such a long lag time between Job 1 and the vehicles finally hitting the dealerships.  I was aiming for September anyway so the Sport being available in August works out well.

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 06:51:53 pm »
don't forget that managers are there to manage, not sell... plus they are usually the only people in the sales department who DON'T have to do product knowledge and training events.

you are better to talk to a lowly sales person... might take a few to get one you get along with and is willing, but probably worth it. they are the front line that get asked the questions like the ones you have, so some might have actually looked it up so they don't look too daft.

I agree but struck out there too.  Maybe I was expecting too much but just before the car was scheduled to be reveled at the NAIAS in January I happened to be in the dealership for service and asked a salesman.  Not only was he unaware that the Fusion was being refreshed for 2017 but when I mentioned the credible rumours of a performance model he declared that to be impossible because Ford was bringing the Focus RS to North America and they wouldn't introduce two performance models in the same year.  I pointed out that Ford is a pretty big company and could likely handle introducing two cars in Canada at the same time and that the Focus RS and Fusion Sport wouldn't likely cannibalize sales from each other.  He went back to organizing his paper clips and I backed away slowly...

My plan as the date approaches is to see if I can find a salesperson who seems at least willing to find answers to questions I have.  But I suspect that this may be harder than usual these days because the typical buyer is likely much more interested in infotainment than powertrains.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
2017 Fusion lack of information
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 07:50:19 pm »
Media.ford.com   everything but the pricing is the same between us and Canada for Ford (most of the time)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 07:53:17 pm »

I agree but struck out there too.  Maybe I was expecting too much but just before the car was scheduled to be reveled at the NAIAS in January I happened to be in the dealership for service and asked a salesman.  Not only was he unaware that the Fusion was being refreshed for 2017 but when I mentioned the credible rumours of a performance model he declared that to be impossible because Ford was bringing the Focus RS to North America and they wouldn't introduce two performance models in the same year.  I pointed out that Ford is a pretty big company and could likely handle introducing two cars in Canada at the same time and that the Focus RS and Fusion Sport wouldn't likely cannibalize sales from each other.  He went back to organizing his paper clips and I backed away slowly...

My plan as the date approaches is to see if I can find a salesperson who seems at least willing to find answers to questions I have.  But I suspect that this may be harder than usual these days because the typical buyer is likely much more interested in infotainment than powertrains.

I am VIP at my local dealer, send me a PM with what you need and I will see if I can get answers out of them - but let's be clear, they may not have any because the car has technically not being launched.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 08:16:39 pm »
Dealers have the standard, optional and packages equipment information for the 2017 Fusion including the Sport model for a couple of weeks. Don't know if they have pricing but they should be able to answer content questions.