Author Topic: First Drive: 2016 Honda Civic Sedan  (Read 81287 times)

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-335
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
Re: First Drive: 2016 Honda Civic Sedan
« Reply #200 on: February 03, 2016, 01:48:43 pm »
A bit more detail, “A small number of engines were produced with piston ping snap rings that may not be completely seated. If the snap ring is not completely seated, it will come out allowing the piston pin to contact the cylinder wall which can damage the engine.” and " According to the letter, the remediation process includes inspection of the engine with a borescope to determine correct pin snap ring placement. Vehicles exhibiting any concerns with the piston pin snap ring placement “may require the replacement of damaged pistons, piston pins or rings, or other related engine components.”

http://blog.caranddriver.com/honda-orders-stop-sale-on-2016-civic-official-recall-pending/

This is the tool Honda is ordering to perform the inspection.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=760250&group_ID=682424&store=&dir=catalog

They must have sold out already as that last link just errotr.

SPECS / REVIEWSFOR SALE
 Recalls
RECALLS Feb 2nd 2016 at 1:30PM 63
Honda issues stop sale on 2016 Civic with 2.0-liter engine
2016 Honda Civic front 3/4 view

2016 Honda...

2016 Honda...

Image Credit: Drew Phillips
 Chris Bruce
Honda has issued a stop sale on the 2016 Civic with the 2.0-liter four-cylinder for a problem that might allegedly lead to engine failure. The company also plans to recall and inspect the examples already with customers. Honda spokesperson Chris Martin tells Autoblog that the issue doesn't affect any Civics with the 1.5-liter turbocharged engine.

"While the specific details of this action are still being determined, American Honda has provided preliminary information to the NHTSA and intends to provide more details in a formal notification to NHTSA on Friday, February 5," Martin said. After the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration acknowledges the details, Honda will issue an official statement about the problem.

A post on the CivicX forum purports to have a Honda document detailing the fault. Some of the 2.0-liter engines may have missing or miss-set piston pin snap rings, which could cause damage to the pistons and other internal parts. The issue reportedly affects roughly 34,000 examples of the 2016 Civic.

If the document from the CivicX forum are accurate, dealers will use a borescope to inspect the pin snap rings on the potentially affected engines. According to the forum, replacement parts are not yet available, and Honda expects to notify customers about the recall in March.

Autoblog drove the turbocharged version of the 2016 Civic late in 2015 and came away fairly impressed. We loved the new engine and quiet interior but weren't so enamored with the CVT. In any case, if you're in the market for a new Civic, you may now have one more reason to consider the new turbo mill.

Related Video:

Featured Gallery2016 Honda Civic: First Drive

2016 Honda Civic front 3/4 view  2016 Honda Civic rear 3/4 view 2016 Honda Civic front 3/4 view  2016 Honda Civic rear 3/4 view 2016 Honda Civic side view  2016 Honda Civic front view 2016 Honda Civic rear view  2016 Honda Civic driving
News Source: CivicXImage Credit: Copyright 2016 Drew Phillips / AOL
Recalls Honda Safety Sedan 2016 honda civic honda honda civic

AdChoices
Advertisement
Advertisement2016 Chrysler 200
Engine: 3.6L V6 MPG: 23 City, 32 Hwy
$21,995
Build & Price
 AdChoices
HONDA CIVIC INFORMATION

All Model Years
News and Reviews
Owner Ratings
Recalls
For Sale
Book Values
Dealers
Rebates & Incentives
Photos
Videos
Compare
More Honda Cars and Trucks
TOP COMPETITORS

2016 Toyota Corolla

MSRP: $23,125
2016 Hyundai Elantra

MSRP: $21,700
2016 Mitsubishi Lancer

MSRP: $20,995
COMPARE NOW
CHECK THESE OUT

Corvette owner finds stolen car, but can't get it back [w/video]

Subaru is bringing a trio of STI concepts to the Tokyo Auto Salon

Ford GT racer sounds wicked during testing at Sebring

Parents of terminally ill child sue after son dies following make-a-wish-style ride

Devel Sixteen's 5,000-hp V16 engine might be real

Sarah Colamarino: Together We're Creating The World We Want In 2030 - promoted by huffingtonpost.com
 normc32  Logout

63 COMMENTS NEW
 frankenstein
frankenstein
2 Hours Ago
LOL what a POS! car just came out and already there's a problem with the engine

Report   Reply
 Will
Will
3 Hours Ago
This, to me, is so unlike Honda, and is disheartening. Their engines are one of the principal reasons for buyers to return! At least they are taking action; I'd hate to have a brand-new 2.0 Civic & have it throw a rod or something. They would have to buy it back from me.

Report   Reply
 Murk
Murk
4 Hours Ago
Honda, hurry and get the 5-door on sale.  I'm waiting with cash in hand.

Report   Reply
 Edit normc32
normc32
6 Hours Ago
Probably the root cause, so they fired them.  Adecco Honda Anna Plant FT Assembly Jobs

Adecco - Lima, OH

$13.00 - $18.60 an hour

Full-time, Temporary

Apply from your phone

Adecco

5355 reviews

Read what employees say about working here.

Call today to speak to one of our experienced Career Counselors to help you get started in a new and exciting career of your own!

**Job Location Anna Engine Plant, Anna Ohio**

* Assemble engines on assembly line

* Continuous gripping, fine motor skills

* Push - Pull of carts - average 50 lbs of force to move

* Potential frequent overhead and forward reaching

* Repetitive lifting and carrying parts

* Continuous bending, stooping, and squatting

**MUST HAVE FORKLIFT EXPERIENCE**

6 MONTHS IN THE LAST YEAR OR MORE

* Must pass criminal background check

* Must submit to a drug test

* No terminations from an employer within the last 2 years

* Must have HS Diploma or GED

Adecco - 11 days ago

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #201 on: February 03, 2016, 03:21:22 pm »
^^^ Hands up everyone who read all that.  Anyone?  Bueller?
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #202 on: February 03, 2016, 04:39:40 pm »
of course i could read all that... totally made sense too...........

it's like they cut and paste from three threads on another site... well.. a car site, a job site and a sale site...

here's the gist... "sucks that they can't build an engine.. must be why there is a post up already about jobs at the plant...... (even though the forklift operator probably didn't have much to do with snap rings, but maybe they do a bit of everything these days)...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 04, 2016, 09:09:01 am »
 Hopefully Tim Horton's is giving away turbo civics and not the 2 liter variety. 40 under roll up the rim to win. :-[
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #204 on: February 04, 2016, 04:38:22 pm »

TL;DR

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #205 on: February 04, 2016, 04:50:02 pm »
Hopefully Tim Horton's is giving away turbo civics and not the 2 liter variety. 40 under roll up the rim to win. :-[
People still go to TH ?  :P

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #206 on: February 04, 2016, 05:32:20 pm »

In droves.  We go on the road all the time.  Handy, cheap, and reliable.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #207 on: February 04, 2016, 06:10:00 pm »

In droves.  We go on the road all the time.  Handy, cheap, and reliable.

A few months ago I stopped at a TH for breakfast after getting called into work early and they were the only place open other than McD's.  They were just bringing out a fresh batch of oatmeal as I walked in, so I ordered a bowl of that with mixed berries and it was fantastic!  :drool:  I didn't even realize that was on the menu.  I ordered a second bowl and both were delivered right to my table.  :)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #208 on: February 04, 2016, 08:32:51 pm »
TH isn’t bad once in awhile......
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 04, 2016, 08:42:48 pm »
We usually don't have time to go into towns to seek out indie food-stops, so whatever franchises sit on the highway are what we stop at.  And Timmies is usually the best option.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 04, 2016, 08:44:18 pm »
We usually don't have time to go into towns to seek out indie food-stops, so whatever franchises sit on the highway are what we stop at.  And Timmies is usually the best option.

Their chili was pretty good the one time I had it.  And they used to sell it in a bread bowl which was kinda neat.

We have a tradition here at work.  On YOUR birthday, YOU have to buy donuts for everyone in the shop.  So I go to Tims at least once per year whether I want to or not!  :)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #211 on: February 04, 2016, 10:41:33 pm »

Their chili was pretty good the one time I had it.  And they used to sell it in a bread bowl which was kinda neat.

We have a tradition here at work.  On YOUR birthday, YOU have to buy donuts for everyone in the shop.  So I go to Tims at least once per year whether I want to or not!  :)
This is normal in Germany as well. Birthday guy brings treats for coworkers.

Speaking of which, I need to place an order for mine next week......... :lick:. Won’t be doughnuts though, a bit sweet for my tastes. (Except the cruller.....those are okay)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #212 on: February 05, 2016, 12:04:42 am »

Speaking of which, I need to place an order for mine next week......... :lick:. Won’t be doughnuts though, a bit sweet for my tastes. (Except the cruller.....those are okay)
we do it at our work as well...but i don't get the crap donuts from TH, i get them from a local bakery instead...nothing beats fresh donuts.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 05, 2016, 12:17:59 am »

we do it at our work as well...but i don't get the crap donuts from TH, i get them from a local bakery instead...nothing beats fresh donuts.

Bakery donuts here are $2+ ea.  If you think I'm shelling out that kind of dough for 100 guys...you're nuts!

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #214 on: February 05, 2016, 07:21:16 am »

:rofl:

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #215 on: February 05, 2016, 08:32:51 am »
Back to the topic at hand:

Piston wrist pin snap ring?  Man, that is going to be an expensive fix on the cars that require it, as determined by the borescope.  That will require complete engine disassembly.  They MAY be able to do it from underneath the car, removing only the bottom end of the engine, but from my limited experience, pistons have to be inserted from the top of the block, requiring removal of the cylinder heads.  This means you're replacing gaskets, head bolts, etc.  Oh and the labor for the qualified Honda Techs to do the work.  My God.  This is going to be a huge job!

People who need this done to their cars will likely need their cars in the shop for a week or more.  This is not a small job.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 05, 2016, 08:41:19 am »
Back to the topic at hand:

Piston wrist pin snap ring?  Man, that is going to be an expensive fix on the cars that require it, as determined by the borescope.  That will require complete engine disassembly.  They MAY be able to do it from underneath the car, removing only the bottom end of the engine, but from my limited experience, pistons have to be inserted from the top of the block, requiring removal of the cylinder heads.  This means you're replacing gaskets, head bolts, etc.  Oh and the labor for the qualified Honda Techs to do the work.  My God.  This is going to be a huge job!

People who need this done to their cars will likely need their cars in the shop for a week or more.  This is not a small job.

Good thing Honda didn't put this off for too long. Otherwise there would be quite a few of these cars on the road having to be repaired.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #217 on: February 05, 2016, 08:47:14 am »
Easier to send the engines back to the factory to be disassembled by the junior guys and the parts put back into the production line.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #218 on: February 05, 2016, 08:50:17 am »
Bakery donuts here are $2+ ea.  If you think I'm shelling out that kind of dough for 100 guys...you're nuts!
they're a bit more than TH donuts, but taste way better...and we don't buy donuts for everyone in the office (we have something like 160 people at my work)...we usually buy a couple dozen and provide them to our direct colleagues.