Author Topic: Quick Spin: 2015 Chrysler Town & Country S  (Read 17380 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Quick Spin: 2015 Chrysler Town & Country S
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2015, 07:19:50 pm »
Our 2006 Mazda MPV GT's power sliding doors have been fine, but every spring and fall I make sure I clean and lubricate the wiring, latches, slivers and rollers where I can reach. 

The only problem we had was one time we had a sleet storm and getting the door on one side to close and lock was an issue.

I didn't know the MPV ever came with power sliders. Not the earlier of the 2000+ models at least...

I like my power sliding doors, although I'll be fine without them once my kids are strong enough to open the sliding doors on their own.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 07:22:15 pm by DKaz »

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2015, 11:19:25 am »
Our 2006 Mazda MPV GT's power sliding doors have been fine, but every spring and fall I make sure I clean and lubricate the wiring, latches, slivers and rollers where I can reach. 

The only problem we had was one time we had a sleet storm and getting the door on one side to close and lock was an issue.

I didn't know the MPV ever came with power sliders. Not the earlier of the 2000+ models at least...

I like my power sliding doors, although I'll be fine without them once my kids are strong enough to open the sliding doors on their own.

I don't know how long they had them for, but I believe they were only available on the GT - perhaps only with the 2002 refresh onwards when it went to the bigger 3.0 V6. 

Still have the sales brochure so I could look it up.    ;D
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2015, 09:21:20 am »
Thought I would post this here, as this is the most recent Chrysler/Dodge thread.

Was reading the Wheels section of the Toronto Star (Dec 5).  Second-hand review of the 2011-2015 Dodge Grand Caravan.  And it looks like the same problems still address the GC.

Brakes that last on average 40k, rear calipers that seize (very common on Journey)
TIPM (Totally integrated power module) that fail, over $1000 repair

Less common, cracked cylinder heads, faulty a/c, prematurely worn wheel bearings, and jerky transmissions

Also it mentioned given the biggest engine in the it's class, the GC is 1/2 second slower than the Odyssey and Sienna, and has longer braking distances as well.  Worst fuel economy in the minivan category, average 12.5-13L /100km.  No doubt a weight issue.

Another thing I found interesting, the Wheels second-hand review section rarely says "don't buy this vehicle used".  And it did, guess they are saying better value would be a new one, with plenty of warranty... Or a competitor....

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2015, 10:04:41 am »
Thought I would post this here, as this is the most recent Chrysler/Dodge thread.

Was reading the Wheels section of the Toronto Star (Dec 5).  Second-hand review of the 2011-2015 Dodge Grand Caravan.  And it looks like the same problems still address the GC.

Brakes that last on average 40k, rear calipers that seize (very common on Journey)
TIPM (Totally integrated power module) that fail, over $1000 repair

Less common, cracked cylinder heads, faulty a/c, prematurely worn wheel bearings, and jerky transmissions

Also it mentioned given the biggest engine in the it's class, the GC is 1/2 second slower than the Odyssey and Sienna, and has longer braking distances as well.  Worst fuel economy in the minivan category, average 12.5-13L /100km.  No doubt a weight issue.

Another thing I found interesting, the Wheels second-hand review section rarely says "don't buy this vehicle used".  And it did, guess they are saying better value would be a new one, with plenty of warranty... Or a competitor....

Consumer Reports also lists the GC and TC as worst used buy.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2015, 10:18:03 am »
Didn't realize that. 

Wheels section states as per Consumer Reports, "Least Satisfying New Cars", least likely to buy again.

Kia Rio
Jeep Compass & Patriot
Hyundai Veloster
Nissan Quest
MB CLA
Nissan Altima
Nissan Frontier

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2015, 04:03:45 pm »
not surprised about the compass and patriot up there... well, actually... not surprised with any of those up there.

just to put things into perspective though regarding the t&c, if the quest sold as many vans as fca, everyone would think they were the worst car ever....

with huge amounts of sales comes a comparable huge amount of complaints. just the way it is... add in that a HUGE number of the vans sold in that span (2011-2015) were the ones ten grand less than the competition (cvp's with not as good a braking system on the early ones), it can hardly been seen as a surprise.

you get what you pay for. it can't be the cheapest, best and most capable... 
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2015, 08:16:25 pm »
not surprised about the compass and patriot up there... well, actually... not surprised with any of those up there.

just to put things into perspective though regarding the t&c, if the quest sold as many vans as fca, everyone would think they were the worst car ever....

with huge amounts of sales comes a comparable huge amount of complaints. just the way it is... add in that a HUGE number of the vans sold in that span (2011-2015) were the ones ten grand less than the competition (cvp's with not as good a braking system on the early ones), it can hardly been seen as a surprise.

you get what you pay for. it can't be the cheapest, best and most capable...

Well hopefully when the next Chrysler Town and Country is redesigned (and the GC is no longer around).  It can compete better with the Japanese brands...