Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Mazda MX-5 GT  (Read 11119 times)

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Mazda MX-5 GT
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2015, 08:27:11 am »
I'd love to see a Club Sport version (they use this name in the US) with a seriously pared down equipment list.  Delete as much as possible, get it even lighter.  Probably wouldn't sell worth a crap though.

The ride height is still the same in the U.S. club version though. So that doesn't solve Cadure's complaint.
You can fix it if you tinker with it. ;)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 08:30:55 am by Seafoam »
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2015, 08:37:20 am »
I think I carry a lot of height in my torso.  I can handle sitting close, but in the NB and NC my head hits the roof.  I have been looking for an NA to sit in to see if it's any different... I would love to have one to daily all year but I can't if I need the roof down all the time.. ;)
You could do a Foamectomy on the seat. That would get you a little lower. Of the 3 miata's I have owned the 90 has the most comfortable seats. Not sure about the 16 as I have only sat in one for a few minutes.

Offline irREV

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
  • What do you mean what do I mean?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 CX-5, '10 Miata, '11 Avalanche
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 09:58:13 am »
I am 6'4" and 185lbs. I would own a MX5 if I could fit in one, but, alas, it is a no go for me. Now, if I could fit into one I would opt for the GX. Too many gadgets on the GT.

Just out of interest, have you tried it?...I'm 6'3" and 195 lbs, and fit in our NC just fine.  I understand that this new version (ND) has an extra inch + in seat travel, although the seat sits a bit lower.
Easily distracted by shiny objects.

New word of the month:
"ACCORDIONATED" [adj]:being able to drive and re-fold the map at the same time.

Offline irREV

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
  • What do you mean what do I mean?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 CX-5, '10 Miata, '11 Avalanche
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2015, 10:04:20 am »
I think the GS is the sweet spot, but I said F-it and went GT.
If the GT didn't come with the performance goodies that are on the GS (LSD, sport suspension, Bilsteins..) I would have got the GS.

This is exactly the reason we went for the GS when we bought our NC...didn't want leather, and didn't care about heated seats or Bose stereo (who can hear it anyway?)

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 12:43:38 pm »
^  Apparently the headrest speakers work pretty good.
I went in fully expecting to get a GS, but ended up being wooed by the nice stuff. 

I'm about 5'11" and 165 & fit pretty close to perfect.  I think if I was about an inch shorter that would be the ideal height.
Sales guy that sold me the car was around 6'4 I'd guess - he was pretty much knees in dash in the passenger seat... he was able to drive it, but don't think he would be happy for long