Author Topic: Buick says Envision compact will arrive next summer  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Buick says Envision compact will arrive next summer
« on: December 04, 2015, 03:41:05 pm »
New crossover will be imported from China
Read More...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Buick says Envision compact will arrive next summer
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 07:52:03 pm »
looks nice...i like it.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Neromanceres

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +26/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Volt, 2013 Sonic, Former 2013 Volt
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 12:55:24 pm »
"Currently built and sold in China, the Envision shares its Delta II platform with the Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain, which suggests strongly those two crossovers will adopt a turbocharged drivetrain when they’re redesigned in the next year or two. But while the Equinox and Terrain are built in Ingersoll, Ontario, the Envision will be imported from China."

Okay this statement is not correct. 

The Envision will be built on a D2XX platform which is the new replacement for Delta II
Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain are built on the long wheel base GM Theta I platform.

The next generation Equinox and Terrain will be built on a D2XX platform.

As a note the first vehicle sold in North America on this new platform is the Gen II 2016 Chevrolet Volt.

GM was able to shave ~150lbs of the body in white going from Delta II to D2XX.  Also Delta II is not compatible with AWD and D2XX is.

While autonews is generally not wrong I hope GM doesn't import this from China.  China is now an expensive place to build items like this and the dealer lead times will be long.  Doesn't make sense to me.

Just to add I'm a product design engineer and our company makes products all over the place.  We are moving some electronics production to the US because it's cheaper than doing it in China.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 04:15:42 pm »
"Just to add I'm a product design engineer and our company makes products all over the place.  We are moving some electronics production to the US because it's cheaper than doing it in China."

Now that is truly significant news. Is there a seismic shift happening?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 05:02:19 am »

While autonews is generally not wrong I hope GM doesn't import this from China.  China is now an expensive place to build items like this and the dealer lead times will be long.  Doesn't make sense to me.

It's coming from China. It will be assembled in GM’s Shandong facility.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 10:01:40 am »
I really liked the Regal Turbo rental I had in Thunder Bay.  If the rest of the changes are more Buick-esque, this means good things not only for the Envision, but also for the Terrain/Equinox :)