Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Ford Mustang Convertible EcoBoost Premium  (Read 14059 times)

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Ford Mustang Convertible EcoBoost Premium
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2015, 11:00:22 am »
I don't think the 2.7TT is a great engine for Ford cars (Trucks, perhaps).  Its power is not up sufficiently compared to the 2.3T to warrant a second turbocharger and two more cylinders, and quite frankly, it sounds like its application is intended more for heavier vehicles where the 2.3T would be too far taxed too often.
I completely disagree...the 2.7 is a gem of an engine, it is almost as fast as the 3.5TT but as efficient as the 2.3TT. The 2.7 is a perfect fit for the Mustang and I bet it would blow away the V8 in performance.

The 2.7TT will make its way into the new Lincoln Continental and a Ford Taurus - if we ever get a replacement.
I maintain my point about cost:reward.

Well I can tell you the reward is there for what ever that engine costs. Just returned from a business trip and I had the chance of getting a Edge Sport for 5 days.

That engine with a rapid-fire quick shifting trans like the ZF 8-speed would be fantastic in a Mustang but would also mess up the model hierarchy. That is the model Ford should have built for Europe and performance wise would probably be head-to-head with a 340.

And I have to mention how good the 2.7L engine sound is under hard acceleration. It is everything the 2.3L is not.  Indeed the 2.7L is a gem.