Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 versus 2015 Lexus GS 350 AWD  (Read 44077 times)

Offline bd2

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: BMW 3 Series
Re: Comparison Test: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 versus 2015 Lexus GS 350 AWD
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2015, 06:28:47 pm »
Hyundai needs quality and reliability on par with Lexus to charge like Lexus.

Again..you people who are focused solely on "is the dealer experience worth $15k" are missing the point.  That's merely an additional perk.  Nobody pays $15k for dealer experience.  Nobody.  Especially with the brand that is statistically the least likely to ever even visit a dealer beyond regular maintenance.

The questions should be: Is the superior reliability, quality and dealer experience of Lexus worth $15K more than a Hyundai?  If you plan on owning the car longer than the warranty period it very well may be.  We have in excess ~1.25 million KMs on the various Lexus we've owned.  And only ONCE did any of the cars require a visit for a non-maintenance item.  And that was the valve stem recall on my 2006 IS350.  In addition, Lexus wear very, very well.  Jeff and Bob are hardcore car guys.  They know cars.  When they saw my IS350, I asked them what they thought the mileage was.  They guessed around 50K.  It had almost 190K on it.  Will the interior in a Genesis hold up as well at 190K?  What about at 425K like the near immaculate interior in my GS400?  Somehow I doubt it.  IMO, few cars wear as well.  How much is that worth to you?   

I like the previous gen 5.0R  A lot.  I'd have no problem buying one over a GS350, mainly because of the V8.  Lexus let me down when they dropped the V8.  So any car with a V8 gets BIG bonus points from me.  And 429 worth in the Genesis is mighty tempting.  But long term or high KM ownership would certainly give me pause.  In that regard, I just don't think they're up to par with Lexus.

Really has little to do with reliability.

Reliability hasn't allowed the LS460 to approach 7 Series pricing, much less S Class pricing.

Most of it has to do with the pricing in the cost of a separate lux brand and dealer network and perks like service loaners, as well as Hyundai having to start at a lower price-point being the new kid on the block (much like what Toyota did with the pricing of the LS400).

Reliability has more of an impact on the % of buyers as opposed to those who lease.

By all accounts, in terms of powertrain, the Genesis is pretty stout - no major issues with the 3.8 V6, the Tau V8 or the Hyundai-sourced 8 spd AT.

The biggest problem area (in particular for the 1G model) was the head-unit for the Lexicon audio system which is the privy of the OEM supplier, Harmon (which, btw, also is the supplier for Lexus's Levinson system which is also owned by Harmon).

The Lexus ES starts at about the same price as the base Genesis 3.8.

The basic difference being that at such a price-point, Hyundai sunk the $$ into a RWD platform whereas Toyota sunk it into having a separate luxury brand and all the amenities/costs that go with that.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12420
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2015, 09:34:11 pm »
Oh look, it's Greg trolling a Hyundai thread. How unusual.  ::)
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2015, 11:04:02 am »
Welcome back Greg. We have missed your delusional ratings  :hello:

We sure did! At least I'll admit that I did.

Glad to help. It seems you kiddies need something now and then to distract you from your usual slurping...  :lick:
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #123 on: October 01, 2015, 03:56:11 pm »
Wow, now that's timing!  I was talking just today with a guy that works in the same office as my wife that bought a Genesis 3.8 a couple of months ago.  I didn't spend much time discussing details, but his looks the same as the one pictured here.  He's done a few road trips since and raves about the car.  I did get a brief look at the interior and exterior and both look stunning!  Very impressive car indeed!  I didn't ask if he cross shopped with the GS, but we will both be at an event exactly one week from today so I will get a better chane to speak with him then.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2015, 05:33:55 pm »
Wow, now that's timing!  I was talking just today with a guy that works in the same office as my wife that bought a Genesis 3.8 a couple of months ago.  I didn't spend much time discussing details, but his looks the same as the one pictured here.  He's done a few road trips since and raves about the car.  I did get a brief look at the interior and exterior and both look stunning!  Very impressive car indeed!  I didn't ask if he cross shopped with the GS, but we will both be at an event exactly one week from today so I will get a better chane to speak with him then.

Just read through this thread, hilarious!

:rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2015, 07:02:54 pm »

Just read through this thread, hilarious!

:rofl2:

Now I'm curious.  ;D.