Author Topic: Comparison Test: Compact Crossover SUVs  (Read 38361 times)

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
Re: Comparison Test: Compact Crossover SUVs
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2015, 01:45:46 am »
These weak slip and grip systems should be called All Wheel Assist and not All Wheel Drive.

How about the ones that monitor various sensors and engage the rear wheels before slippage is detected?  (They will also engage the rear wheels whenever slippage IS detected.) 

I'm used to full-time awd, and then got a similar vehicle that's a slip&grip fwd, but has the predictive system.  I'm impressed at how well it works.  Probably 90% as good as the full-time awd.  Never had a "normal" slip&grip awd, so I don't know how that would compare.

But, that's for light off-roading.  For highway driving in bad/winter conditions, I think the full-time awd is far better than predictive slip&grip.  And for highway driving, normal slip&grip may as well be fwd.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2015, 05:51:32 am »
These weak slip and grip systems should be called All Wheel Assist and not All Wheel Drive.

How about the ones that monitor various sensors and engage the rear wheels before slippage is detected?  (They will also engage the rear wheels whenever slippage IS detected.) 

I'm used to full-time awd, and then got a similar vehicle that's a slip&grip fwd, but has the predictive system.  I'm impressed at how well it works.  Probably 90% as good as the full-time awd.  Never had a "normal" slip&grip awd, so I don't know how that would compare.

But, that's for light off-roading.  For highway driving in bad/winter conditions, I think the full-time awd is far better than predictive slip&grip.  And for highway driving, normal slip&grip may as well be fwd.
All Wheel Assist Plus?  All Wheel Assist Pro?  Predictive All Wheel Assist?

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2015, 09:00:00 am »
This shows that the slip/grip can add a lot in terms of forward traction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orysh1VuueU

What is lacking in this test is the significant advantage that full time AWD can give in cornering.  Put them on a slalom and I bet things would be very different.

The key in the video here is .053min "Toyota asked us how their AWD system with active torque control......"

The Venza AWD system with ATC in not standard and not the same system on the Rav4
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".