Author Topic: Mazda Koeru previews a future crossover, but this is not the next CX-9  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Not with dimensions this similar to the CX-5's
Read More...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Mazda Koeru previews a future crossover, but this is not the next CX-9
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 10:44:15 am »
I forget where I saw it but I recall reading that the next CX-5 might be larger than the current one which would open the door for a model that would slot in between the CX-3 and -5. So this could be a preview of a sportier, low-slung CX-4. That would be an interesting addition to the Mazda lineup.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 10:49:09 am »
I just hope they don't offer the 2.0L as standard fair on their SUV offerings as with current product line-up.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 11:07:54 am »
This is weird, Mazda could desperately use an updated profit-making mid-large 7-seat SUV, and it seems unlikely that they will sell enough CX-4s to justify filling this niche before addressing their mainstream SUV needs... however, maybe they feel that the curse of the Mazda6 would hit a larg-sh SUV as well, so they want to fill the small end of the market where they have more success...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 11:36:10 am »
This is weird, Mazda could desperately use an updated profit-making mid-large 7-seat SUV, and it seems unlikely that they will sell enough CX-4s to justify filling this niche before addressing their mainstream SUV needs... however, maybe they feel that the curse of the Mazda6 would hit a larg-sh SUV as well, so they want to fill the small end of the market where they have more success...

The 2017 CX-9 is supposedly debuting at the LA auto show.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 11:37:43 am »

Well if they care that much about the compact market, why indefinitely postpone the Mazda 2's North American launch?

I think we are seeing a result of limited financial resources hitting Mazda's lineup.  They seem to be focusing on the volume-movers rather than high margin halo products.  The CX-3 and CX-5 do exactly that.  Meanwhile enticing projects like the diesel lineup, a 7-passenger SUV, a return of their B-series pickups and introducing a Mazda 5 replacement have fallen by the wayside. 

Or, maybe Europe isn't the best place to launch a 7-seat SUV.  ;)

Northernridge

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 11:39:52 am »
Kudos to their design group. Again.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 11:45:39 am »
I think we're going to be seeing Mazda sticking to sedans, hatches, and crossovers for the next few years because that's where their few successes have been. The CX-5's sales have been steadily rising both in Canada and the U.S. and sales of the new 3 have been strong as well. The CX-3 is already a success in Canada. The 6 hasn't been doing great in Canada but its U.S. sales have been rising.

Replacements for the Mazda 5 and B-series trucks are non-starters at this point IMO. I am hopeful we'll see a proper RX-7/RX-8 replacement though.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 11:45:43 am »
Kudos to their design group. Again.
Agreed, looks really good.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 11:00:20 am »
Explain to me how this doesn't make sense as the direct replacement for the next CX-5?  Plus-sized for the Chinese market, lower-slung to fit in with the CX-3's car-like dimensions and handling, and 'marginally' larger?  Nowhere does it express that the roofline is more sloped a la X4/GLC Coupe...It just looks more RX350/Murano-like, and Mazda does want to move 'upmarket'...