Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Subaru WRX STI  (Read 18053 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Subaru WRX STI
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2015, 10:53:07 am »
The more I look at the RS, the more I :drool:.  The STi doesn't scream to me like the RS does.

Northernridge

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2015, 11:01:51 am »
I was goofing around on the Subaru build and price site checking out lease rates on the Outback and just for fun (and because it's convenient on the site), I rattled through the model lineup to compare lease rates on Subarus in the $35-40k SRP range. It turns out that the WRX and STI are available at very favourable monthly payments, which surprised me. Perhaps I overlooked something, but I don't think so.

All else being equal, I suspect that STI monthly lease payments would be considerably less than than a Golf R for example (although I didn't actually price out an R).

Leasing is not for everyone but since it's frequently my approach, I find this interesting.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2015, 11:05:28 am »
I was goofing around on the Subaru build and price site checking out lease rates on the Outback and just for fun (and because it's convenient on the site), I rattled through the model lineup to compare lease rates on Subarus in the $35-40k SRP range. It turns out that the WRX and STI are available at very favourable monthly payments, which surprised me. Perhaps I overlooked something, but I don't think so.

All else being equal, I suspect that STI monthly lease payments would be considerably less than than a Golf R for example (although I didn't actually price out an R).

Leasing is not for everyone but since it's frequently my approach, I find this interesting.
All about dat resale value, yo.

Northernridge

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2015, 11:08:31 am »
^I doubt it.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2015, 12:58:18 pm »
^I doubt it.

Why? The cost of a lease is driven by two primary factors: the residual value and the interest rate. The WRXs lease favorably because of their strong residuals.

As for the Golf R, the residual is so strong that they bumped up the interest rate substantially. Else it would be cheaper to lease an R than a GTI.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2015, 05:00:52 pm »

Clearly then, my dealer is full of poop.

Depends if Ford Canada is going to play the "US exchange" game.  At nearly 30% exchange, the Focus RS would be $46K here.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2015, 05:26:19 pm »

Clearly then, my dealer is full of poop.

Depends if Ford Canada is going to play the "US exchange" game.  At nearly 30% exchange, the Focus RS would be $46K here.

It will be north of 40 for sure. The loonie is going to fall more over the next year before it bottoms.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2015, 07:52:37 pm »
I've also heard that the Focus RS will be a limited production run so I won't be surprised if these will be going for over MSRP.

Allocation for non-SVT dealerships is one car. SVT dealers get three. Any extras will get spread around to those with strong ST sales.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline triggz

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 STi
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2015, 04:58:47 pm »
I'm 90% sure Jacob lives in my condo.  I park in the same level as him and saw this beauty in there.  Pics don't do it justice - the car looks great in white with the aero kit and SPT exhaust.  Of course, I'm impartial as my 2011 STi is parked a few spots over, but agree Subaru needs to update the engine.  There's some info on the web of them testing a reworked 2.0L FA motor currently being used in the WRX pushing ~315hp, but alas no more unequal length headers for the distinctive rumble we've grown to love.

Can't wait for the review of the ND Miata  ;D

Offline supercrip

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 09 WRX265 Stage 2
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2015, 09:32:57 am »
Having owned 3 generations of WRX/STi's over a period of 10 years I just could not bring myself to own another one unless significant changes were made to stay with the competition. Ever since Toyota has bought into Subaru the WRX/STi has become vanilla and went form a leader to an also ran to a follower. An not having a hatch is just pure stupidity.

:iagree: Now if the Motoring Press could echo these issues perhaps things might change. 
Cheers!
Andre