Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 GMC Acadia Denali AWD  (Read 8189 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Test Drive: 2015 GMC Acadia Denali AWD
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 05:58:26 pm »
"Its Cadillac-sourced 3.6L engine offers a responsive yet refined 288 hp and 270 lb-ft of torque,"

Cadillac-sourced? It's the previous (older) LLT V6, which has been replaced by the LFX V6  GM shoves in the Colorado while skimping there on the "refined" sound-deadening kit, and also into everything else that moves, Impala, Equinox, a Buick or two, oh and Cadillacs up through 2015s, etc. Only GM would tout the oldest of the V6's they make as Cadillac-sourced! Shakes head wearily.

The LFX engine is also gradually being replaced by the LGX with an extra 70 cc or ml, which was announced in March this year, and goes into the new Camaro and 2016 Cadillacs. No doubt soon to be found under the hood of everything else that has wheels besides the full size SUVs and pickups. As an example of GM speak, the old 3.57 litre LLT/LFX rounds up to 3.6, while the new 3.64 litre LGX rounds down to 3.6. Bureaucracy and double-speak, just like government

$60K for an old design with an old engine. "But it's a Den-ahhli, madam. Professional Grade."

How else would they round it off? Or do you expect them to use two decimal places?

I didnt even see that....I don't know how else you would round that properly......  ??? ??? ???
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 06:03:53 pm »
Way too far into Tahoe range to even consider it.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Agreed, same here. The Tahoe is much better.

"Much better" - why?  Tahoe is better at towing, and certainly better for off-road ability. It also has a lot more power - but also carries around nearly a 1000 pounds more weight.

For most people, is it really a "much better" vehicle?  The Yukon/Tahoe don't ride or handle as well as the Lambda triplets, the 3rd row is terrible in the Tahoe/Yukon (try sitting in one - your knees will be close to your head), and it has substantially less cargo space.  And while fuel-efficient for the class, the Tahoe/Yukon are still harder on gas than the Lambdas.

I don't get all the love for the Tahoe and Yukon (in short wheelbase - I can see the utility of the Suburban / Yukon XL).  Because the 3rd row and cargo space are so poor, they are NOT good 6+ passenger vehicles.  Here's my personal algorithm on these vehicles:
If I am carrying 6+ people (and their stuff) routinely, and need to tow something heavy, I'd look at a Suburban (or a 2500 van).
If I am carrying 6+ people (and their stuff) routinely, but NOT towing something heavy, I'd look at a 7-passenger CUV (or better yet, a minivan - but that's a whole 'nuther issue for some people...)
If I am carrying < 6 people (and their stuff) routinely, and need to tow something heavy, then a crew cab truck.  It makes so much more financial and practical sense than a Tahoe.  And if I REALLY wanted a SUV instead - JGC or Durango with hemi!!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 06:07:02 pm »

"Much better" - why?  Tahoe is better at towing, and certainly better for off-road ability. It also has a lot more power - but also carries around nearly a 1000 pounds more weight.

For most people, is it really a "much better" vehicle?  The Yukon/Tahoe don't ride or handle as well as the Lambda triplets, the 3rd row is terrible in the Tahoe/Yukon (try sitting in one - your knees will be close to your head), and it has substantially less cargo space.  And while fuel-efficient for the class, the Tahoe/Yukon are still harder on gas than the Lambdas.

I don't get all the love for the Tahoe and Yukon (in short wheelbase - I can see the utility of the Suburban / Yukon XL).  Because the 3rd row and cargo space are so poor, they are NOT good 6+ passenger vehicles.  Here's my personal algorithm on these vehicles:
If I am carrying 6+ people (and their stuff) routinely, and need to tow something heavy, I'd look at a Suburban (or a 2500 van).
If I am carrying 6+ people (and their stuff) routinely, but NOT towing something heavy, I'd look at a 7-passenger CUV (or better yet, a minivan - but that's a whole 'nuther issue for some people...)
If I am carrying < 6 people (and their stuff) routinely, and need to tow something heavy, then a crew cab truck.  It makes so much more financial and practical sense than a Tahoe.  And if I REALLY wanted a SUV instead - JGC or Durango with hemi!!

Better 4x4 system, better interior (imo), more power for not that much of a fuel penalty, way better looking and way more capable......if this was $10-15k cheaper than Tahoe, I would totally see why you would buy one....at the same price, I would rather have the proper SUV.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 08:32:40 pm »

Third row is much better and useful in the new generation, IMO, even compared to the lambda triplets.  Although, the most useful third row and storage space is my parents 1988 GMC Vandura Conversion Van.  Even with the 3.43 rear end, I can tow 5000lbs with the vehicle fully loaded.

Fuel efficiency is also significantly improved in this generation and a minimal difference in real world versus the triplets.

I think the point is if you are shopping in this category, you're better off with the Explorer Platinum.  But if you must have a GM product, go with the Tahoe or Yukon.