Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD  (Read 4107 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD
« on: August 26, 2015, 06:30:56 am »

Substantial end of model year discounts make this aging but capable SUV worth a second look.
Read More...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 09:14:00 am »
if you want to save some money, sure. Cheap transport for the family. It also is one of the safest on the road.

...but you must absolutely buy the V6, the I4 has no power whatsoever. So that drives up the bottom line. Plus it is so vanilla...even in LTZ trim. But nothing in this segment is exciting really...get a wagon ;)

this coming from someone who sold them for a living...

a refresh is sorely needed for this yeah...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 10:00:37 am »
We bought one at work recently, and it is pleasant enough, a big step up from the Impala totaled from the deer hit.

However definitely agree with this:

The driver can shift manually by moving the shift lever to the ‘M’ position and then pressing the + and – buttons on the shift handle, but it’s probably the most fiddly shifting mechanism on the market.

I like to manually shift sometimes, at least shift out of overdrive to get some engine braking, and it is not very easy to do.

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-335
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 11:17:41 am »
We have the 2015 Terrain SLT2, one step below Denali, and it is a very nice to be in for city work and has long wheelbase to excellent highway ride. The fiancé drives it and usually sees 20 mpg idling for her work, running the AC full blast, and aggressively accelerating. On the highway over the last 50 mile average I have gotten over 32.5 mpg....with AWD.  The safety sensors keep her from backing into my car but she doesn't like the lane departure and collision alert barking at her.

Coming from an tinny, oil consuming 2012 Forester this car is a Cadillac! She likes the luxuries but in a package that doesn't scream the part with chrome, yet still looks rugged.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 11:43:01 am »
These "feel" terrible and are in desperate need of an update. BUT for someone who doesn't care much for cars, but wants affordable transportation with all the latest gadgets this is a pretty good buy. It gets the job done, and I do think it's the right size for a lot of families.

NormT, you should be able to turn that lane departure feature off - I usually do everytime I drive a newer GM.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 12:26:37 pm »
if you want to save some money, sure. Cheap transport for the family. It also is one of the safest on the road.

...but you must absolutely buy the V6, the I4 has no power whatsoever. So that drives up the bottom line. Plus it is so vanilla...even in LTZ trim. But nothing in this segment is exciting really...get a wagon ;)

As per the article, the 4 cylinder competes with the competition, except the larger turbos, so in that case a V6 would be more competitive.

The same thing could be said about wagons... Is the golf wagon exciting? 

And don't get me wrong, I like wagons.  The Jeep Cherokee, is polarizing, can't call it vanilla, that's for sure. 

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 12:29:58 pm »

$41k for an Equinox is too much money....you can get a well equipped Explorer or Edge for the same price. They are at least 5k overpriced as it stands in my opinion.

As per the article, the 4 cylinder competes with the competition, except the larger turbos, so in that case a V6 would be more competitive.

And don't get me wrong, I like wagons.  The Jeep Cherokee, is polarizing, can't call it vanilla, that's for sure.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 12:57:58 pm »

$41k for an Equinox is too much money....you can get a well equipped Explorer or Edge for the same price. They are at least 5k overpriced as it stands in my opinion.

If you compare a Ford Escape SE AWD with the 1.6L, with a Chevrolet Equinox 1LT AWD with the 2.5L, they are very closely matched in features, and price.  The Escape is $1300 cheaper.  Both frequently have deals on.  Even if you finance the Equinox there is $1660 off (basically freight) and 0% financing on any term up to 84 months.  If the Equinox is $5000 over priced, then the Escape is $3700 over priced!

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-335
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 04:39:40 pm »
The Equinox and Terrain twins have aged well and with updates have remained competive and finishing right behind the newer cars.
https://www.cars.com/articles/28000-compact-suv-challenge-the-results-1420680467422/
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Compact-SUVs/

Offline EDM

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 BMW 320i
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 10:37:39 pm »
We recently had one for a rental car and it just felt absolutely awful to drive and/or ride in (and this is coming from a family who used to have a Pontiac Torrent back in the day).  The Equinox/Terrain are in desperate need of a redesign - I'm surprised it actually sells outside of rental fleets. There are so many better CUVs in this price point.

Offline Neromanceres

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +26/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Volt, 2013 Sonic, Former 2013 Volt
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 12:10:14 am »
Of note the refresh for the 2016 model year is a temporary measure (like the 2015 Cruze refresh).  There is a whole new from the ground up Equinox and Terrain coming out for the 2017 model year.  The Equinox is going to shrink a little to be more in line with the segment.