Author Topic: Feature: How to Raise a Gearhead  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: How to Raise a Gearhead
« on: August 24, 2015, 06:26:33 am »

Your step-by-step guide to turning your child into a raging car fanatic just like mom and dad.
Read More...

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
Re: Feature: How to Raise a Gearhead
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 01:26:36 pm »
*Mum  :rofl2:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 04:34:41 pm »
Skipping generations in my family.  My grandfather was as much of a gearhead as one could be that was born in 1888.  Being poor though he expressed it on motorcycles, not cars.  My Dad likes cars well enough, but he's far from what you'd call a "gearhead."  My daughter is only interested in driving as a means to transport herself to trailheads to go climbing or skiing.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 04:55:53 pm »
My 9 year old is a total gear head.  If he watches vids it's about anything mechanical, from dirt bikes to Top Gear vids.  He's been that way since a baby, toy cars were always his favourite.  My 6 year old is the polar opposite.  He couldn't care less, he likes his figurines and art, which is good, gives us some variety in activities  ;D.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 05:49:01 pm »
Neighbors across the street from me are all gear heads in the first degree.  The mother, father, 23 yr old son and 18 yr old daughter.  The son is working on his third ground up resto and will be going into his final year of Mechanical Engineering this fall.  First he did his 89 Civic hatch that looked like junk when he bought it and now looks like a brand new racecar with striped out interior, some sequential shifter thing and had it dynoed at 331hp at the wheels.  Then he did his sister's Civic coupe and lightly modified it, of which she can rattle off the specs with ease, and now he is working on an old Integra.  I hear him grinding and pounding away at all hours.  He's also into autocross.  The civic is loud as hell though and he is revving and tuning it constantly and drives my wife nuts.  :). The father is co-owner of a local body shop. 

There are always friends in interesting cars pulling in and out of there on a daily basis.  Today there was a gorgeous white 57 Chevy Bel Air sitting in the garage when I got home from work.  I've been seeing that car around recently and wasn't surprised at all when I saw it there today.

When I brought my s2000 over there just after i bought it they all knew way more about it than I did and told me all the mods and stuff I could have done.  My head was spinning when I left.  :P. Gear head central for sure! 

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 05:56:59 am »
Props to you Jacob for both the well-written article and for raising another petrolhead.  :thumbup:

It's interesting how all the points you mentioned are quite normal in Germany. In larger cities, the dealerships will open on Sunday for exhibition only; anyone can go inside to see the cars, although no sales or test drives are permitted. I think fostering an atmosphere of interest in automobiles is why the Germans get into engineering much more than other countries.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]