Author Topic: 2017 Mazda CX-9  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
2017 Mazda CX-9
« on: August 12, 2015, 01:50:29 pm »
Looks like no V6, turbo 2.5 cylinder only.  Sounds like it will be the only 3rd row SUV with 4 cylinder only.  Not sure I like this, as competitors have engine options, and probably more towing capacity.  Pricing will be very important with this launch.  If priced too close to new Honda Pilot and Highlander, both which have efficient V6 engines that can tow 5000lbs, Mazda will need to find a way to have customers come and test drive these, other than style and fuel efficiency.

Some details on the CX-9:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/spied-2017-mazda-cx9-89350.html

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: 2017 Mazda CX-9
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 04:17:16 pm »
The new XC90 is also four cylinder only. I think it will be fine. I think Mazda and Volvo are ahead of the curve here and many V6s will be going away or at least relegated to the options list.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 04:28:31 pm »
Geezz, using a corporate design motive is catching on with everybody. I see no issues with high output turbo 4's, it not like people will be towing 30' trailers with these things.

Northernridge

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 04:56:11 pm »
The corporate design thing will swing the other way soon enough. I bet it will start when somebody's design language suddenly falls out of favour and the whole line stops selling. I bet it will be one of the Germans or Chevy.  ;)

Or, some gutsy designer may actually get an innovative model to market that is disruptive and then the industry will respond. Everything in the brand world cycles. We're in the reign of the marque now, the reign of the model will return.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 05:07:17 pm »
The corporate design thing will swing the other way soon enough. I bet it will start when somebody's design language suddenly falls out of favour and the whole line stops selling. I bet it will be one of the Germans or Chevy.  ;)

Or, some gutsy designer may actually get an innovative model to market that is disruptive and then the industry will respond. Everything in the brand world cycles. We're in the reign of the marque now, the reign of the model will return.

Perhaps..... but BMW, Audi, and Porsche have kept on the same azimuth with their designs. Benz has gone a few degrees offline lately,  it might catch on.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 06:41:16 pm »
Geezz, using a corporate design motive is catching on with everybody. I see no issues with high output turbo 4's, it not like people will be towing 30' trailers with these things.

30' trailers no.  But competitors like the Santa Fe XL, Highlander, and Pilot have a towing capacity of 5000lbs.  One of the few reasons I didn't get a CX-9, it was only rated for 3500lbs.  I think the Audi Q5 has a towing capacity of 4000lbs with its 4 cylinder.  Other than that, I don't think there is a 4 cylinder that tops 2750lbs.  And that would be a factor for some.  Less "Utility" than a minivan!

Northernridge

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 06:46:58 pm »

Perhaps..... but BMW, Audi, and Porsche have kept on the same azimuth with their designs. Benz has gone a few degrees offline lately,  it might catch on.

I could see it going sideways for Mercedes. What S Class owner wants their car confused with a CLA, or C Class for that matter. I know of at least one E Class owner who isn't interested in driving a slightly larger C Class. And the previously interesting GLK has been homogenized into the family. Too bad. Pretty soon the only distinctive Mercedes will be the G wagon and rear end of the new AMG GT.

And, does every Porsche really have to look like a 911?