Author Topic: Auto Tech: Ford's New Sync 3  (Read 6997 times)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: Ford's New Sync 3
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 11:52:38 pm »

It should integrate better with smartphones.

I want to be able to look up a destination on my phone using Google Maps and plan my route from the comfort of my couch.  I should then be able to, once I'm in the car, 'send' my route from my phone to the car.  Whether this would use some form of app that you would install on your phone or otherwise, it shouldn't be too difficult.  This would also help when in the car.  It's probably faster to search for a destination on my phone, rather than spend time fiddling with the screen in the car looking for a destination.

This is available with VW CarNet (US Only) and their new MIB II Composition Media radio coming in 2016 models. It doesn't use Google Maps but rather the map application within the CarNet App.

It's also available for mytouch, but for the U.S. Only - not sure why.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: Auto Tech: Ford's New Sync 3
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2015, 08:24:36 am »
I'll echo the statement that touchscreens just aren't optimal for vehicles. But anything is probably an improvement over MyFordTouch. I spent a lot of the weekend cursing at the system in my vehicle; whoever designed it has never actually driven a car.

I've had a number of Fords as rentals over the years. No issues with Sync or MFT. The only one that rivals it is uConnect in Chryslers, which is excellent.

iDrive is still poor. You fumble to find the control puck, then look at the screen to see which hotspot you're on, then click through sub-menus. Not as easy as looking over and touching a hotspot on the screen.

As a note Chryslers uConnect system is also using the BlackBerry QNX micro-kernel.

Some jet fighter screens and simulators also use it. If you have ever used the Blackberry Playbook then you've also used the QNX neutrino software.

https://youtu.be/NQu-tAlUjeE  Maserati Quattroporte GTS
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 11:04:48 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2015, 10:24:55 am »
I used QNX in a soft PLC back in 2002 or so. Very tiny footprint.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2015, 05:07:48 pm »
I used QNX in a soft PLC back in 2002 or so. Very tiny footprint.

Yup.   I used them on some smaller HMI displays around the same time.