Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Toyota Sienna SE  (Read 12935 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Toyota Sienna SE
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 10:52:08 am »
I bring an off season tire (all-season in winter, winter in summer) with me on road trips. Beats having to chug along at 80km/h on a donut. Would probably be a good idea on cars with no spare tire.

Offline Silverbird

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-13
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 A4 Avant, 2008 VW Rabbit
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 01:02:22 pm »
Runflats are only on the AWD version since the rear powertrain components took up all the space the spare was allocated.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 05:06:39 pm »
I mean, I haven't, but a buddy of mine popped two tires trying to run me over once after I grabbed his gf's shoe and ran away with it in good fun. Thankfully, it was a Suzuki Swift 1.3 and I could outrun it (and defintely out-maneouver it) ;D
What?
In terms you'd understand (i.e. legal terms):
It is alleged that on ___ [date], [woman] did proceed to make a 'kicking'-like motion, which resulted in a piece of footwear being removed from her lower extremity and landing a short distance forward on the sidewalk ahead of the parties.  At that time, No-san, the non-owner of said footwear, did retrieve the said piece with the intention to "tease" the [woman] by not returning it to her immediately.  [Woman's] boyfriend, enraged, did enter his vehicle, a Suzuki Swift 1.3, and started the ignition.  Shortly thereafter, he proceeded to return the said vehicle on the roadway into motion towards No-san, who remained on the sidewalk.  It is alleged that in an attempt to put the vehicle in front of No-san, in an effort to stop his forward progress, the said driver did turn right sharply onto a driveway.  At or about the same time, the two right-most wheels did contact the curb as a result of the said turn being made too sharply, which did cause an increase in pressure in the tires.  We heard evidence from Tire Expert, rrocket, that the increased tire pressure was released explosively through the sidewalls of both tires, effectively blowing them out.  Fortunately, the vehicle did not make contact with the said No-san, but the vehicle was disabled by virtue of the tire pressure extrication.  The [woman's] shoe was returned without issue.  Judgement in favour of Mr. No-san, and the said vehicle was towed to a location where new tires would be affixed at some later date and some cost that No-san is not responsible for. 

;D?

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2015, 09:25:27 am »
My department had a few AWD Sienna's with those dreaded runflats because of no space to put a proper spare wheel.  So we were left with carrying a spare wheel using a good chunk of the cargo space 6 months of the year when running regular winter tires.  Runflats shouldn't be on "ordinary" any vehicles.

Fixed....there is no excuse for not having a real, full size spare tire with no limitations outside of a purebred race car.

I think it will become a trend. There are quite a few more cars with run flats now.  I can see why, I myself have changed 100s of tires around, changed flats but most people either don't feel comfortable or safe doing it.  The jacks that come stock look like death traps and I myself would never change a tire on a side of any road.  Not to mention most modern SUVs and sedans now come with 18-22" wheels and tires that weigh 60+lbs.

Yeah because being stuck on the side of the highway for a few hours at -30 or lower is a better option than maybe 10 minutes of work. I have changed tons of tires as well, even though the jacks look like some chinese dollar store type of thing, never had one even remotely fail. Gimme a jack and a full size spare over anything, I would rather continue on in my journey rather than sit around on the side of the road becaue, "eeeewww, thats like so icky and stuff!!".

You know I'm right though.  You're in a minority.  Only a handful of people, I'm talking general population, would risk getting run over on the side of the road by the very bad drivers out there (happens daily) and especially doing that type of work in -30C. 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2015, 12:52:36 pm »
I know the feeling. I had to change a tire on the QEII once (Hwy 2 between Edmonton and Calgary), that was a damn scary experience.

Offline jwilde

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Honda Odyssey, Nissan Sentra SE-R
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2015, 09:47:33 am »
I have owned both the Odyssey and Sienna SE 2013 model.  The gas mileage on the SE is far worse than the Honda because of the cylinder deactivation and the ground clearance is a major issue, watch those curbs when you pull into a parking space and the mud flaps will ground on the least little bump.  I hope they have fixed the seat issue because I found the seat bottom was not long enough I think it is built for someone 5'6" not enough leg support anyone taller will not find it comfortable.