Author Topic: Monday Rant: Save the Rear-Wheel Drive  (Read 9003 times)

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
Re: Monday Rant: Save the Rear-Wheel Drive
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 06:46:40 pm »
Root of the problems are that general public doesn't care about which-wheel-drive and its cheaper for manufacturers to build FWD cars... when your customer don't care whether its FWD or RWD, of course they will build the cheaper FWD...that's why the new BMWs will be FWD

I blame Mini for popularizing FWDs

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 06:50:34 pm »
Every car I've owned in the last 25 years has either been RWD or AWD - yes, the missus has has some FWD cars, but mine are not.  I hate it.  Can't stand it.  I've only driven a small number of FWD chassis that I thought "oh, hey, WHY CAN'T THEY ALL DO THIS."  The modern GTI is one of them.  I'd like to try some of the new Fords - I hear they're amazing too.

One thing I don't like about the Highlander is the transverse engine packaging.  It drives much better than a FWD thanks to the full time AWD - but feels top/front heavy in many ways like a FWD vehicle.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 06:53:34 pm »
IQ drives her RWD IS300 (manual) every day...rain, snow, shine.  With proper tires, it's easily used in the winter, even in heavy snow fall.  She took the AWD Forester to work a grand total of 4 times last year...and only because drifts were ~30" on our street those days.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 12:20:46 pm »
IQ drives her RWD IS300 (manual) every day...rain, snow, shine.  With proper tires, it's easily used in the winter, even in heavy snow fall.  She took the AWD Forester to work a grand total of 4 times last year...and only because drifts were ~30" on our street those days.
I think it's pretty fair to say that you and IQ are not the 'norm' as far as driving intelligence or capability is concerned.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 12:23:37 pm »
I think it's pretty fair to say that you and IQ are not the 'norm' as far as driving intelligence or capability is concerned.

Are you hinting they're below?   :o ;D  :run:

I drove a slant-six Volare through ten Manitoba winters on all-seasons.  Got stuck once.  In a parking lot.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 12:29:05 pm »
Don’t think I’m all praise for Mazda though, I don’t think I’ll ever forgive them for making the new Le Mans car FWD.

I think you're mistaken about that...  Nissan built the FWD LeMans car.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 12:31:18 pm »
Don’t think I’m all praise for Mazda though, I don’t think I’ll ever forgive them for making the new Le Mans car FWD.
I think you're mistaken about that...  Nissan built the FWD LeMans car.

Wow. What an epic brain fart on my part. Sorry, fixing that now.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 12:42:29 pm »
That's okay.  I can understand.  I'd be brain-addled too if I were constantly upside down living on a diet of Vegemite and Fosters while listening to nothing but AC/DC.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 12:45:54 pm »
That's okay.  I can understand.  I'd be brain-addled too if I were constantly upside down living on a diet of Vegemite and Fosters while listening to nothing but AC/DC.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 12:47:15 pm »

Uhhh...no....this is their National Anthem... ;D

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2015, 12:52:24 pm »
The 335i is my first RWD car and I have to say it really does feel more balance and responsive particularly around corners. Lets hope manufacturers stick with this set-up for a while, at least for some models.

As far as winter driving, no issues with proper winter tires. 
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2015, 01:28:32 pm »

Only one part of that was offensive...  :)

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2015, 01:33:44 pm »

Only one part of that was offensive...  :)

I grew to like Vegemite. Australia does have better beer than Fosters aka our Molson's. As for AC/DC well they're an icon.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2015, 02:12:19 pm »
I grew to like Vegemite. Australia does have better beer than Fosters aka our Molson's. As for AC/DC well they're an icon.

Nobody in Australia has ever drunk Fosters - that's just the crap we ship up to the yanks.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2015, 02:17:20 pm »

Nobody in Australia has ever drunk Fosters - that's just the crap we ship up to the yanks.
The Fosters sold in the US is actually domestically brewed. It is okay.....not tops on my list but on rare occasion I will get it at a restaurant.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2015, 07:41:09 pm »
that was my big surprise when i went there... no one drank that... not that VB or most of the other staples were great... took my a month to find some decent beer (i think it was coopers?)

anywho, rwd is great... love it...

but yeah, the 300 and charger aren't flying off my lot... especially in winter. but to try and compare it to a v60... why? a base v60 is the same price as a loaded r/t charger... not in the same sport, let alone ballpark. as a used car, they are a steal... and that is mainly due to the rwd fear in canada...

so yeah... don't kill off the rwd... but don't make everyone love it! or the prices will go up on these cars on my lot... maybe at least warn me and i'll buy em right before you boost their value. deal?
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2015, 08:37:57 pm »
I have friends in Mexico - they say the same thing about Corona.

Foster's is kangaroo pi$$ that for some reason people outside of Aus drink in an effort to capture some "Oz coolness" and they fail - completely.

If you've been to Mexico and had the local beer - you quickly realize that no, they actually have some great beers and haven't been subjected to that barely-acceptable brew.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2015, 10:47:51 pm »
It's like coming to Canada thinking that all we drink is Canadian, Moosehead and Keiths, then finding out that there are much better brews such as Okanagan Springs, Farmery and Half Pints.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2015, 09:16:22 am »
It's like coming to Canada thinking that all we drink is Canadian, Moosehead and Keiths, then finding out that there are much better brews such as Okanagan Springs, Farmery and Half PintsHammond River.
;D

...of which I have still yet to try :'(