Author Topic: Transport Canada announces more Takata airbag recalls  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Transport Canada announces more Takata airbag recalls
« on: May 29, 2015, 06:09:57 pm »
Canadian Takata airbag recalls continue to add up
Read More...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Transport Canada announces more Takata airbag recalls
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 10:12:17 am »
we own a Hyundai and a Kia, neither of which are affected. :)
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 11:59:50 pm »
When the electric power steering boost failed in my Escape, my research turned up cases involving mostly Escapes, but also Flex's etc.  So either the failure became common enough on those other models that Ford saw fit to recall them, or they chose to fix the biggest problem first and then address the other models, perhaps as parts (such as steering columns) were again available.

An interesting question comes up.  Manufacturers are under pressure from other manufacturers to offer (or force upon) their customers the latest and greatest innovations.  Like software, this pressure to be first or early to the market may mean some systems reach the market before they are fully debugged. There must be a delicate balance between attracting customers with early offerings of new systems, or losing customers due to unreliable new systems.   Just like software.

Presumably a car company that's smart enough to be early to market with new (or cheaper) systems AND have those systems reliable, will win/keep customers, not have to do costly recalls, and so be able to offer more competitive pricing and thereby gain market share.  Or the other way around.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 05:07:22 am »
Neither of our cars are affected.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 09:17:10 am »
Finally, there are 391 model-year-2015 Ford Mustangs with the 2.3L EcoBoost turbocharged four-cylinder engine in which “prolonged exposure to elevated underbody temperatures” could cause premature degradation of the fuel tank, fuel vapour lines and parking brake cable seals.
:fall: :fall: :fall:

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 09:28:12 am »
Does anyone know why/how the recall keeps expanding?

My car isn't on the list - yet - but the way it is going, it'll be soon. I mean, the 2012 Civic is on there, why not the 2013 as well?

Has there ever been a case of a recall going on for so long? A quick google search indicates that the first recalls began in April 2013. Now two years later, huge numbers of vehicles are still being added to the list.

I mean, surely they must know which vehicles have Takata airbags, right?