Author Topic: Tire Review: Michelin Premier LTX  (Read 12687 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Tire Review: Michelin Premier LTX
« on: May 05, 2015, 06:27:16 am »

Ronnie pushes Michelin's new Premier LTX tire to its limits on an empty course with Carl Nadeau.
Read More...

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
Re: Tire Review: Michelin Premier LTX
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 08:38:53 am »
What is the expected tread life vs. the Michelin Latitude Tour?
Is there any tread life warranty?

Got about 40,000 kms out of my 20" Latitudes on the wifey's Venza. All of them driven hard, very hard.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 10:03:28 am »
No denying the quality of Michelin Tires being one of the top tier tire companies globally.
I like the fact that Michelin has not done as many other established brands have done and simply rest on the brands name by introducing inferior products.
My general rule of thumb when buying tires is to look where the tire is made. If it says made in Canada or USA 1st. Europe 2nd. Japan & Korea 3rd. Comfortable with all of these.
Not comfortable with made in China although a tire guy put it to me this way. "There is a difference between top tier tire companies making a tire in China vs a Chinese brand tires.
Not saying the Chinese co. can't produce a viable vehicle tire, but unproven and to early for the Canadian market. Either way not for me.
Performance overtime and wear longevity seem to be the underlying factor.

Wife has Michelin Latitude Tour HP and quite happy with those. The Premier LTX looks like a good replacement.

Michelin brand also owns the BFGoodrich, Kleber, Tigar, Riken, Kormoran and Uniroyal (in North America) tire brands
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:42:33 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 03:34:37 pm »
I think Michelin's tires are tops for longevity and performance while worn.  They may not be the best 'new' tires all-around, and they are almost always more expensive (sometimes unjustly so); however, I am plenty pleased with how well they retain their handling characteristics while worn - something other companies don't focus on.  Good job, Michelin.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 01:16:29 pm »
Don't discount everything made in china just b/c its made in china. Chinese factories can handle any level of qc; it just depends if the client is willing to pay for it.

Offline mohamad

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: X5 4.8, Civic
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 12:36:12 pm »
"The Premier LTX isn’t a tire meant for peak performance, so yes, there are many tires out there that cost double the money that offer more outright dry grip. With that being said, you’ll be hard pressed to find another tire in this price range that is as versatile, durable and grippy in the wet or dry as the Premier LTX."

I need to buy a set as my previous all season tires were bald so when I installed a new winter set of Michelins the installer threw the old ones away :'( so would you advise me to wait till June 1 and try the Premier LTX or should I just buy the Latitudes or Continental DWS now instead of driving on the winter set for the next month?

Thanks!  ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 02:00:21 pm »
"The Premier LTX isn’t a tire meant for peak performance, so yes, there are many tires out there that cost double the money that offer more outright dry grip. With that being said, you’ll be hard pressed to find another tire in this price range that is as versatile, durable and grippy in the wet or dry as the Premier LTX."

I need to buy a set as my previous all season tires were bald so when I installed a new winter set of Michelins the installer threw the old ones away :'( so would you advise me to wait till June 1 and try the Premier LTX or should I just buy the Latitudes or Continental DWS now instead of driving on the winter set for the next month?

Thanks!  ;D
Always get the newer tire.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 02:28:29 pm »

Thanks!  ;D

How much are you going to drive in the next month and how warm will it be where you live?

If you're talking a few hundred kms in temperatures in the teens, then maybe, but for thousands of kms in the twenties? I wouldn't want to do it. Aside from the extra wear, winter tires are also not as safe in summer temps.