Author Topic: Quick Spin: Tesla Model S P85D  (Read 6106 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Quick Spin: Tesla Model S P85D
« on: April 01, 2015, 06:30:34 am »

A true driver's car that will blow your mind.
Read More...

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1200
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
Re: Quick Spin: Tesla Model S P85D
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 06:43:43 am »
Oh, if I had the money... :drool:

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 07:08:55 am »
To be honest I didn't enjoy the acceleration even in the regular S model.  Too violent.  I'd find the D even worse.  Of course, I try it from time to time but you would have to be extremely thoughtful about where you were going to do this.  As they say about really fast cars "Know where you are going because you will be arriving in a very short time."

Personally I'd like to see a 130hp model in 1/3 the weight and form factor with higher seating.   OK, I'd like to see the 1/4 of the Tesla guts in a Fit.   350 - 400km range would be brilliant and with maybe 150lb ft of instant torque, driving would be a joy regardless of hp.  Oh, did I mention what real quiet and low centre of gravity would do for the luxury feel?

Come on Elon!  If you are the genius you have shown yourself to be, make a deal with a major manufacturer and get a car for the masses out there.  How many batteries will the new Nevada plant be able to make?  Whatever the number is, if there was a Teslaed Fit on the market, they would never be able to make enough.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 09:15:24 am »
Before I read, :popo: the video, when clicked on sends me to the news page regarding the 2016 Terrain.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 09:24:17 am »
Before I read, :popo: the video, when clicked on sends me to the news page regarding the 2016 Terrain.

Arg, must be a markup issue in the slide, I'll just embed it instead.
Cheers!

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 09:26:04 am »
By now you’ve heard about “insane mode”, you know about “slip start” and you probably know all about the insane horsepower and torque figures. You know the ones, big eye-catching numbers like “691 hp” (wow), “686 lb-ft” (oh, my) and “0–100 in 3.21 seconds” (holy snapping duck poop!).
There was an over-the-air update that made the vehicle 0.1s faster.  Click here for the source.

The massive centre-stack touchscreen is cool but ugly, breaking up the rhythm of the rest of the interior, while the Mercedes-Benz-sourced column shifter is as unwelcome here as it is in Mercs – it’s gross.
:iagree:
...but Bossman didn't mind since he came out of an E350 Cabrio, so it was second nature to him already.

The seats are well-bolstered for my frame and comfortable for the short time I had in them, though taller drivers might take issue with the headrests as they’re not adjustable.
Bossman is still waiting for the Recaro seats that he ordered from Tesla.  They'll come in a month or so.

You might be surprised to learn that the Tesla can turn. Especially given that it weighs 2,240 kg. You might also go back to the top and re-read the 0–100 time. It’s hard to believe that 2,240 kg (4,936 lb) can get to 100 km/h in 3.21 seconds – but it can.
;D

If you listen carefully, you can hear my “SQUEEE” of excitement in the video above. When I’m the passenger, you can hear my quiet “aww” as the professional driver whips it around.
:'( no, I can't.  Not until you fix the link above!

Total range is “up to” 425 km but to get that you’d have to drive as though you weren’t in a 691 hp rocket ship sent from the future to get revenge on those who would mock electric cars – and you won’t. You’ll drive it like the weapon it is, and your range will be more like 340 km.
Precisely what Bossman gets.  ...but with a charger at work, he doesn't care in the least.  He often doesn't charge at home because...well, why would he?  He still charges it about once/week, which is as often as he would fill with gas in the E350.

The thing about this car is that it really is an 'exotic' of sorts.  It's not the prettiest, but as you mention, it's executive-smart-looking.  It's recognizable as an icon, but not so much so that it's a wedge-shaped egg.  The interior is the only real let-down, being somewhat plain for the $, but it's so functional that it's hard to argue with it.  Bossman doesn't regret his $142,000 spent at all, and very much applauded the D's winter capabilities.

Great write-up, Jacob.  I love that you tell us nearly nothing about the car's mechanicals, but nearly everything about what it's like to drive one/be in one.  For that, I continue to applaud you every hour so often.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:28:24 am by NoTo »

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 09:30:02 am »
Great write-up, Jacob.  I love that you tell us nearly nothing about the car's mechanicals, but nearly everything about what it's like to drive one/be in one.  For that, I continue to applaud you every hour so often.

That sounds like a back-handed compliment....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 10:00:40 am »

That sounds like a back-handed compliment....
It's a full-handed compliment.  I don't care to read, "the Tesla P85D is so-named because D stands for Dual, as in Dual electric motors.  They are powerful, rated at ___..." blah.

I want to read what's it's like to drive.  I want to read about what sets this car apart.  I want to read about what owning one would be like.  I want to laugh a little.

You hit all of the above, while also being informative about the mechanicals (but without a blanket recitation).  My love is not thrown around THAT much, it is well-earned.

It may sound ridiculous, but there are many auto websites out there.  What keeps me here surely isn't pi or GBA or Brigitte's constant mockery (ok, maybe it is), but it was after reading well-written articles from JY, hilarious stuff from you, JB, James's blunt realism (which I LOVE - nothing back-handed about that, either), Pritch's videos, Jeff's alternative approach (unique!), Stevenson's Salt Truck 'news,' and Lesley's cute puppy pictures (and a shout out to all others).  I like that the articles are interesting, varied, and non-fluffy (for the most part).

If that makes me a cuddle-monster, or an internet-bromance s!ut, then guilty-as-charged.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:04:58 am by NoTo »

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 10:09:27 am »
What Musk and Tesla are so brilliantly doing is removing the myths and stigmas associated with EVs. Their flagship model checks all the boxes: insanely fast by all measures, beautiful, very little range anxiety, comfortable, dependable, minimal maintenance required, etc.

Lower end EVs will sell well and be generally accepted in the near to medium-term because the Tesla vehicles have positioned the EV as "aspirational". I really can't think of anything in the $120k price range I would prefer at this time (exceptions being vehicles that fulfill a single purpose so well that they are irresistible - convertibles, prestige, heritage, 10/10ths performance).

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 10:10:16 am »
This for my summer car and maybe the upcoming Model X as my winter driver.

Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 11:22:48 am »
Jacob, I'm heading the national think tank on signage for electric cars (parking, charging, etc...). If you can fix me up with that red e-rocket, I would be more able to, ahem, research my subject.

I'm in Ottawa April 16-18 for meetings (on that e-signage topic and others) if a meet-up with Wing and other locals is possible.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 02:02:55 pm »
Funny this article should be re-posted today.

It's raining outside.  A lot.

Bossmen 1 & 2 asked me to go for lunch to Yorkdale.  Who am I to say no to free food?  "Who's driving?"  "I have my Jeep"  "I have the fricken Tesla".  I replied, "I don't want to talk about it."  I have the RX (while the Corolla loses its winter boots in favour of its sneakers), but two child seats in the back for the kids I don't have.

"Ok, Noah's car is out.  I don't feel like hopping up into your Jeep, so we'll take the fricken Tesla."

"Bossman, why do you call it a "fricken" Tesla?"

"Because, Noah, it's a FRICKEN Tesla!"

Clearly the love has not waned over the months of ownership.

"I don't feel like driving.  Go for it." 

:drool: WANT WANT WANT!!!

So we get to Yorkdale and lo and behold, ain't no parking spaces underground.

...but wait, we're in a fricken Tesla, so there are fricken reserved spots for the fricken Teslas!  INCREDIBLE!  There are perks to ownership.

We were sitting at 57% battery and he didn't feel like plugging it in.  No need.  Plenty of juice.  So we walked in, ate, walked back, and the Allen Road was flooded.  No hydroplaning for the fricken Tesla, even with the winter tires. 

Anyway, this story doesn't really have any interest other than I got to drive the fricken Tesla and we had parking where other cars did not.  Nice lunch.  Now back to the grind.  Then to NY State.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 02:17:56 pm »
Did you do any better than I did in the video? :P

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 03:35:24 pm »
Did you do any better than I did in the video? :P

I was lucky enough to sit in the damn thing, drive it, and go to maybe 1/4 throttle.  Still hella faster than the Corolla ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 11:41:45 am »
Thanks NoTo, another amusing post. You are the new Blunderwriter, with honourable mention to Tooscoops.
I do what I can.

...I'm working on trying to write for funzies, but it's hard to find the time to do so.
...that, and JY wants legal articles.  Way less fun than driving Porsches.

HMMMM, 2001 911 Turbo Review coming someday soon?  This I may consider doing.